Thread: Diff gears for 35"s or not ???

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diff gears for 35"s or not ???

Hi, I'm looking at putting new tyres on my gq wagon at the same time as my 4" lift. Do i go 35"s or 33"s in a 15" or for that matter even 285, 305 or 315 in a 16". I don't particularly want to do diff gears at this stage and I'm not sure how the 4.2 turbo would handle it. Please help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sort of driving do you intend to do with the car? Do you really need a 4 inch lift and big tyres for the driving you want to do?
    Sticking to 33 inch tyres (or 285/75r16) will mean not having to change diff gears, you can get away with it with 35" tyres, but fuel economy and performance will suffer a lot more than standard or 33" tyres.
    My advice, 2" lift and 33" tyres. It's legal and will get you most places, and a hell of a lot cheaper than going bigger lift and tyres. If it's not enough, get lockers before you go higher.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not so much do I need the lift, It's just that I already have it from a previous rig. I do intend to do a reasonable amount of weekend 4wding but I will be driving this to and from work (only 10km each way of highway). I think I'll probably go 285/75 16 as there is only a 1" gain in actual clearance by using a 35"/315 tyre and I think the power/economy will be of greater benifet.

Robin

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive got 2inch and 2inch body and my 35 claws scrub to be honest a 5inch plus will be need to get the 35s to work properly 33s is proberbly the way to go from wat i can understand u wanna do

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate,

If you have a TD42 with an Aftermarket Turbo setup it will eat a 35 pretty easy to be honest. The commuting kms will be its easiest day lets face it.

You would only really feel the economy and power in the sand and really heavy driving but it will still eat it up otherwise go for it.

You said you have the 4" kit already so "Its free" so go for it. a 2" kit is much cheaper to set up obviously and will serve well and 2" with 2" body blocks will see you running 35s till the cows come home.

If you get too much scrub i would be more inclined to check your Wheel offset than going higher.

I ran a 2" lift and 2" body lift and 35s forever then fitted 35mm spring packers.

I now have a new 5" lift and 2" body with all the bells and crappy Nissan Offset and my 35s scrub the inner gaurd. Change of offset is on the cards to solve this.

For fun in the mud and high country go the 35s for everything else the 33s will be PERFECT.

Good luck mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but if you like rocks i'd start looking at diff gears and/or reduction gears...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mate i have 35s on my gq wagon when i didnt have diff gears it was fine no problem. the only problem i had without them is climbing the big rocks. im running a 4.2 turbo diesel running ten pounds i slapped the diff gears in and now cant complain. so you dont really need them its only for the big rocks mate have fun

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lockers lockers lockers 4.2td 35s

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strizman View Post
    mate i have 35s on my gq wagon when i didnt have diff gears it was fine no problem. the only problem i had without them is climbing the big rocks. im running a 4.2 turbo diesel running ten pounds i slapped the diff gears in and now cant complain. so you dont really need them its only for the big rocks mate have fun
    Hi mate, do you have any other mods to accomodate the 35's under your GQ & did it make much differance to the speedo?

Bjorn,
    92 GQ, TB42E, Auto, Wagon, 3" lift

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a TB42 with 35x12.5 and 6" spring lift and 2" body lift, mine goes great apart from up hills on the HWY. stock diffs as far as i know but i usually only play in mud.
    Matt, 91 Patrol 4 Door Ute, 8" of lift, 35's, Low ratio diffs, Spartan Front locker.
    Come Join my 4x4 club @ www.Trenchmen4x4.com
    Check out my Facebook page ----> Trenchmen 4x4 https://www.facebook.com/Trenchmen4x4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast