Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

POLL: New GU8 or 2005/2006 4.2 GU

Hey Guys,

I am torn at the moment deciding on what to replace my old turbo diesel Discovery with.

I have come to the conclusion i either want a new GU8 Patrol or the last of the 4.2 GUs (i would want one with around 100,000kms).

Currently i can get the GU8 for around $50k and the going rate for the low km late model 4.2's is $50-$60k.

What would you guys do if you had the choice between the two?

I really want whatever i get to last, therefore the 4.2 sounds good but then there is something nice about owning a brand new truck (and cheaper as well!).

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why would you go for a slug when you can have economical vehicle with heaps of grunt brand new with warranty for 5 or 6 years
    Last edited by Maxhead; 23rd April 2012 at 09:11 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The TD42Ti but $45K is the number! Any more and they're taking th pi55!

I have to say though the new GU8s are a very nice unit with factory diff lock and 5 year Warranty is a winner too
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 23rd April 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paying more for a second hand car doesn't quite work for me...
    I know there are plenty of '3.0L bashers' around but the CRD is a good thing.
    If a second hand 4.2 has ALL the mods you want it may be good value but $50K for a brand new truck with a rear diff lock and a traction control system on the front seems like a good start.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at this thing.! WOW! note it is on the Written Off Vehicle Register! Hell!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Pa...-/110861610349
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've had my GU8 for a few days and I'm loving it. there's nothing like a brand new car.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tried the 4.2 new before decided to buy zd30. mate, at that time the near new demo 4.2 drives like an old car and no auto! so i finally went to 3.0 unless you want to keep the car for long long time . otherwise just drive both car to compare....the gu8 easily win...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the pointers guys. I have driven both the GU 8 and 2 of the older 4.2s. One of them felt like an absolute slug! While the other 4.2 drove pretty well. I am more concerned about the lifespan of the engine as i plan on keeping whatever i get for 10 years +.

I am however leaning towards the new GU 8 (and the wife is happier with the new car option as well)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the choice between the two, I'd go new.

I love my 4.2 TDi, but a choice would probably sway me - in a few years.

You need to be really sure of the history of the pre-loved truck and that it has a good service history with a reliable log book. I keep receipts for all the stuff I've had done to it too, just so I can remember what's been done. Don't forget the REVS check and possibly get a RWC before you consider buying it. Make sure you see the RWC before you make a decision.

The 5 year warranty sounds good, too.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you posted this.

I have been in the same situation for the last couple of months, trying to decide the same, except I can lease a car through work so I could got a brand newy for about $45k.

I am a big lover of the 4.2l.

I, finally, decided to go for a november built 2006 4.2l for $47k with 109,000km on it. (with steel bar, spotties, snorkel, 3" exhaust). Pick her up next week! Can't wait

I am planning on keeping this vehicle for the long term, 10+ years.

Several reasons came into play for me, some of which were issues with the leaseing process, but mostly due to engine options between the two.

I have owned an older gu 4.2 non intercooled, drove a direct injection 3l, and drove a couple of common rail 3l. My old 4.2 was standard when I bought it and I fitted a 3" exhaust, increased boost and tuned for more grunt.

I think the 4.2 is a far superior engine for me. Extremely reliable, long lasting, proven performance, easy to modify and still be reliable, repairable.

Buying a new car is a nice feeling, but they are only new at first. I bought my BT50 new and was surprised how quickly the new feeling vanished. But you will remember the first big scratch you put in it. Lol

Although the last of the 4.2's are quite expensive, I think they will hold their value very well in the future.

I was concerned with a few issues with the new patrols, including the storeys of the manuals loosing clutches, the excessive fuel consumption, over boosting, modifying inside of warranty, long term reliability, etc. (this is not to start a debate, all have had multiple posts each already.)

The decision is yours at the end of the day, and I doubt you'll ever have regret either way. Good luck and let us know which way you go, including pics.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast