Thread: Fishing rod holders

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fishing rod holders

Hey guys, just wondering what everyone uses for fishing rod holders... bull bar types or roof mounted system. ive read somewhere the bullbar type can be frowned on by some coppers. any suggestions??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah apparently they arent legal unless your carrying rods lol i think this is one of those grey areas when it comes to the law. I'd lean towards the roof mount as its less in your line off sight

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been cautioned in the past. They are legal if carrying rods. If empty they are illegal

Dan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by cairnsGU View Post
    I have been cautioned in the past. They are legal if carrying rods. If empty they are illegal

Dan
    In QLD they are still legal if not carrying rods, but must comply with some very specific requirements - see QLD Transport guidelines, page 10 & 11, at this link: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/c7..._vehicles2.pdf

Don't know what WA law is but if you're in Geraldton then what do you want rods for? I used to fish at Port Gregory & all we had to do was wade in knee deep & scoop up big fresh fat snapper, dhu & cray by the arm full....

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ive had mine on for 7 years and never had anyone question them and they will be staying on till that then and more then likely beyond !!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    iliegal in s.a. have been pulled over and told to remove them
    copper asked if i can remove while he is there and i wont get a fine
    all done
    spoke to s.a. road and said police are correct
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so this is what australia has come to what a sad little world this is coming to lol

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by healy View Post
    so this is what australia has come to what a sad little world this is coming to lol
    Yep - forget being hit by the 2.5 tonne vehicle ... it's the damage the rod holder would do that's the topic of conversation at government level ...

I used to have mine on all the time also and haven't put back on since getting the new front bar. I'm all for pedestrian safety, but really?? Rod holders are for just that ... carrying a device we use to enjoy the great outdoors ...

That said, I now have three 13' rods that break into 3 sections to carry in the back, and just couldn't be bothered with the drama - I've been pulled over 3 times in the last few months (never booked - just told what a suburban menace my truck is) and figure the less I give the local boys in blue to pin me for, the better.

There is a member on here (name removed to protect the innocent!! lol) who is a 'friendly' within the blue movement, and he was overly frustrated at a companion of his who proceeded to book a vehicle recently for having their UHF aerial on - visual obstruction or something was the ticket.

That all said, the risk is worth the reward I'm afraid ... we (wife and all 4 kids) love camping, fishing, etc so whilst they're happy, I'm happy ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    There is a member on here (name removed to protect the innocent!! lol) who is a 'friendly' within the blue movement, and he was overly frustrated at a companion of his who proceeded to book a vehicle recently for having their UHF aerial on - visual obstruction or something was the ticket.
    So does that mean that having a UHF aerial attached to the car is illegal? Or was this companion just pushing the boundaries of what he could book because he could?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The shape of the front of vehicles has been designed around pedestrian strikes for a very long time. Forget aerodynamics and looks, the biggest requirement when designing the front if motorvehicles us pedestrian strikes. That's why it's also illegal to have no front bumper: the pedestrian will be directed under the car not up the bonnet.

Agree with what you say bigrig about being hit by a 2.5 tonne car will hurt! , but the rod holders will rip you open. Imagine them going through your guts at 50 ks as you slide up the bonnet! OUCH!

tappin it
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast