Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension Upgrade

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my suspension on my GU 3.0 Lt Turbo Diesel. I am looking for a 2inch lift as I believe that is the maximum I can lift the vehicle without an engineering certificate?

I have a 9000 lb winch to be installed soon, a Tradesman full roof rack, and when loaded for a trip is quite heavy in the rear. I only do a few trips and at this stage don't get out much during the year. Hopefully we will be purchasing a Camper Trailer in just over12 month. I run 28575R16 and on a trip the 6th wheel is stored on the roof rack.

Without going overboard in expense, I would appreciate some advice on what would be the best set up.

Regards,

Iceman55

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate have a look at www.suspensionstuff.com.au. Probably one of the most informative sites I've come across. I am in the exact same situation as you. Have a stock standard GU wagon that recently purchased and in the process of modifying for improved 4x4 use. Have done the Telegraph and Simpson a couple of times in another make of car and planning the Canning Stock Route for 2014 in my Patrol so I want the upgrade to be handle this without blowing the budget but also appreciative that the vast majority of my driving is on the bitumen. For comparison I have a alloy bar up front with a winch mounted via a cradle. In the rear a 80 ltr engel and outback draw system. Tradesman roof rack on top. 2nd spare and fuel caried on the roof. Throw the necessary camping equipment and you get the picture regards weight.

I'm planning the following

-2 inch lift. Dont want anything greater due to $$$ increase and majority bitumen driving. Just means take it easier in the rough stuff
    -4 new coils. Looking at the heavy duty type 100kg to 300kg constant load
    -Bilston shocks
    -Brake bias bracket
    -Rubber castor correction bushes
    -Sway bar extension bracket (to allow for the exta lift) or the dis-connectable type when 4 wheel driving so as to not snap them as often occurs
    -Upgraded steering dampner
    -Upgraded drag link (steering arm)
    -Upgraded lower trailing arms.
    Get all this for around the $2000 mark give or take a couple of hundred

Road Safe 4wd have a 5mm thick lower trailing arm for sale for GU. Dont know price at this stage. Ph 1300651551.

Tyre are tyres and there are heaps of opinion out there as to best etc. Get some advice early on regards to the rear spirings as you need to add on the trailer ball weight (towbar weight) when you add on that camper trailer in 12 months time. Might be best to spend the money now on firmer springs so you not buying another set when you get the trailer.

I am in no way attached or connected with either of the above companies that I have mentioned. Either discovered or been referred to.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Kenko
    The fear of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gooday Iceman, Why not go direct to an expert like Zordo. He has often been praised by forum users. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...4wd-suspension
    If you could provide the present loaded weight of your vehicle, and the weights of your expected additions, it would be helpful. Also it may alert you to possible GVM transgressions.
    Last edited by GRA.GU; 23rd April 2012 at 10:01 AM.

07 DX CRD Auto Wagon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the market for the 2'' lift as well, and was looking at purchasing on-line, however could someone from experience tell me what the the install cost would be. I was quoted anywhere from $400 to $900 for install ? Seems a bit of a broad spectrum?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 2 " is simple but you can also go airbags in the rear to compliment your coils if you only need load carrying capabilities on certain trips then the rest of the time you don’t have to put up with a harsh ride

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, I like the idea of air bags for the bigger loads. most of the time I'm around town but when i go on my trips the back seat, rear cargo area includes a 40 lt fridge, recovery gear tent etc so it is very full and I also load the roof rack with a rack sack. So i am very heavy in the rear. Thanks to for the other sites to look at which i will be doing now. My next trip I am going to go to a public weigh bridge to see what I am actually loaded to.

Regards,

Iceman55

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next trip I am going to go to a public weigh bridge to see what I am actually loaded to.

Be afraid...be very afraid...lol
    If you go there fully loaded I would be prepared for it to go over 3T, as most patrols are 2.3T to 2.4T empty with no accessories on them so if you base yourself off that (or have a look in your manual as it should tell you in there) then you can work out (very roughly) what it could weigh with all the accessories that you have on it and don't forget the family and full fuel tanks.

I know we get to about 3.5T with the camper hitched up (offroad hard floor) and I try to get a bit of the weight as far forward as possible (the 2nd spare goes to the front of the roof basket, the missus gets strapped to the bullbar....just kiddin..she is strapped safely in the passenger seat...if she reads this then I will be eating frozen fish through a big hole in the back of my noggin hahaha).

But if you are going to buy a camper trailer in the next year or so and it is a soft floor then you can pack more gear into it and try to get below the gvm.

Hope it all works out.

Cheers

Greg

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Greg. Its one of those things you know your over weight but what to leave out almost impossible to do.

Regards,

Iceman55

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iceman55, Mate when you have the missus and kids along for a trip the weight can blow out real quick and it is tough to try to get them to reduce the amount of stuff they want to take, sometimes we have to get very brutal and cull their stuff ourselves, albeit I have tried with our daughter (16yo) and I find it quite difficult especially in winter as she is like a frog and hates the cold weather and so takes more winter woolies than what most stores would stock...haha...

We like to be fully self sufficient when we travel even if it is with friends this way we know if anything does happen we have the gear to self recover or to call for help, henceforth we carry a bit more weight. You just have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Camper trailers especially soft floors are great for families because you can take that bit of extra gear knowing it probably won't affect your gvm and the only thing it really does affect is the fuel consumption, so will add a little more to the cost of the holiday, but the convenience and comfort that a camper trailer offers more than makes up for the added expense of the fuel.

Cheers

Greg