Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto Lokker with Auto Hubs

G'Day Folks,
    I'm going to get the Auto Lokker installed in my '97 Patrol. Just a couple of questions for the Forum --

Will it run okay with the Auto Locking hubs which are fitted to the beast already ?? or am I better off fitting Manual Hubs ??
    My Auto hubs are working fine, but just trying to work out the best way to go with out it costing me the soul of our youngest child

If I am better off with Manual Hubs, does anybody know of a place to get them from in Adelaide or surrounding northern suburbs.

Many thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the LoKKa will be fine with auto hubs, but double check with 4wd systems mate. Manual hubs are definately a better option. Sorry unsure where to get a set from other than a wrecker maybe?

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure where you are in Aus but I would seriously consider fitting manual hubs. Nothing wrong with Auto hubs but the downfall of mechanical lockers is when there is insufficient torque feedback from the wheels to cause the Locker to unlock and allow the steer tyres to differentiate so you can go around a corner.

This is really noticeable on wet clay etc that we get over here in WA. When you try to turn the vehicle the Locker won't release sufficiently and you can get a whopping amount of understeer. When it happens it happens with little/no warning and scares bejeesus out of ya.

The trick is to only engage one FWH on those surfaces and then engage the second only as required for gnarly bits. You can't employ that trick with Auto Hubs.

If you don't travel on really slick surfaces then it isn't an issue and Auto Hubs are fine
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd April 2012 at 05:11 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They will be fine to run but i would as already stated go to the manual setup as they are stronger as well i believe.