Thread: The Grampians

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Grampians

So I've just picked up my new Patrol on Thursday just passed, and I have 4 workmates and we all would like to do a trip to the Grampians on Monday. As I have mentioned in other posts elsewhere on the forum, I've never done any 4WDing, and I'm mainly planning to just stick to the sealed roads but just want to go for a nice day trip somewhere.

I've been doing a bit of research and I can see that there's the Grampians Drive that can be done and it is rated as Medium. They do say that they recommend some experience, but on a first time with 4 girls in the car, do you think I could get away with it? Or at least parts of it? And given it is just a day trip, do I really need any extra equipment?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your sticking only to sealed roads and not taking taking it into 4wd areas then it should be no different then any other day out but if you think you want to try out the car in 4wd and do some tracks I would highly recommend taking another vehicle with you and recovery gear and advise people where you are going.

If your serious about getting into 4wding I suggest doing a basic 4wd course to understand gear selections, terrains and using the 4wd safely and correctly. Even just a day course will bring you up to speed a lot!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well as mentioned, we are going tomorrow, so I can't really get in a 4WD day course by then, and also I know that having two vehicles is always ideal, but I'm not planning to tackle anything huge, but just thought I might be able to try it out a bit. I'm going to the shops to buy some recovery gear today like a hand winch, etc just in case. I wouldn't say I'd be venturing onto any real 4WD tracks though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 with Andy, wise advice mate. Was up the Grampians last year and had a great time on some top tracks but we had 3 vehicles to get out of the sticky bits lol. There are plenty of tracks there that can be safely done alone as long as you don't venture too deep into the bush and get over confident, plenty of sealed roads with tracks running off, you just need to pick your tracks and not tackle anything you think could bring you unstuck. Even if it looks just a little muddy or watery always get out and check, it can be decieving. If your going with a car load of females and none of you have had 4x4 exp' they will be of no use if you get stuck lol.
    Stay safe buddy and enjoy the beauty of the Grampians (Halls Gap) is a great area to start.

Yappa tappa doo
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a squiz at this thread from my trip there, will give you an idea of some of the tacks
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ead.php?t=6801

Yappa tappa doo
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha that's exactly what I was thinking with regards to them all being no help and neither would I really if we got stuck so thus the point of this thread seeing if there is anything relatively easy that I could have a go at without too much worry just to start getting the ball rolling.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also wild98, thanks for the link to that post. Pretty awesome stuff. I know I would have no chance doing most of that, especially on a day trip, but it is good to know what's around. Even though I've lived in Melbourne most of my life, I don't really know anybody that is into the 4WD stuff and so all I know of 4WDing comes from what I hear when I was working up in the NT and so I didn't realise there is a lot to do even down here in the south. Looks like I've got a few fun filled weekends up ahead

Are there any tracks off the top of anybody's head that I'd be able to do with ease? Can I just ask at the Information place at Halls Gap and they should be able to find some maps for me and maybe a couple of recommendations?
    Last edited by filodore; 22nd April 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've come back and had an exhausting long but awesome day. Didn't realise there is soooo much stuff to do there and there are quite a few tracks. We only got brave and did one (Chinaman 4WD track) but it was well worth it. Had a ball on it. After doing that track with ease, especially after catching up to I think it may have been a Navara or similar, and saw them struggle up a hill with wheels spinning, having to take it back and do a better run up, then we had a go and did it first attempt with a lot less difficulty, it makes me confident in my purchase of the car and it has given me a taste for more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filodore View Post
    So I've come back and had an exhausting long but awesome day. Didn't realise there is soooo much stuff to do there and there are quite a few tracks. We only got brave and did one (Chinaman 4WD track) but it was well worth it. Had a ball on it. After doing that track with ease, especially after catching up to I think it may have been a Navara or similar, and saw them struggle up a hill with wheels spinning, having to take it back and do a better run up, then we had a go and did it first attempt with a lot less difficulty, it makes me confident in my purchase of the car and it has given me a taste for more.
    Glad you had a top time buddy, and all went well,

Warning; it is addictive hahahahaha but you will love it and there is soooo many great places to see that you wouldnt see in a normal vehicle.
    Stay safe and Enjoy

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atrocious weather this weekend, but brought these hills alive :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Chubba (14th November 2016), jack (13th November 2016), mudnut (13th November 2016), Rossco (14th November 2016), rusty_nail (13th November 2016), Touses (14th November 2016), TPC (14th November 2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast