OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a lifted vehicle...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to look for in a lifted vehicle...

Hi all,

I'm going to be inspecting a couple of GQ Patrols for purchase tomorrow and taking them for a test drive. One has had a 2" lift and 32" tyres, the other a 3" lift and 33" muddies.

This is the first time I've ever looked at a car with a lift kit and I'm not sure what to look for... I'm a bit concerned about buying one that hasn't had the lift done properly (or safely). I've been reading a few things about Caster correction, bushings etc...

Can anyone give me a basic run down on what is required (and should be done) when adding body/spring lift to a GQ so that when I look at the trucks I can ensure that these things have been done as well?

Also any other advice that may help. I'm a newbie to all of this but trying to learn before I buy a lemon.

If I decide on a truck I'll definitely get it checked out by RACQ anyway just to be sure...

Cheers,

- Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about QLD, but take into consideration the 3" lift car you will be looking it will need to be taken off to get your RWC and then put back on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I'm not sure about QLD, but take into consideration the 3" lift car you will be looking it will need to be taken off to get your RWC and then put back on.
    its the same for qld mine has 3 inch but you can get round it road worthy wise if you know some one

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2" lift is justr springs and shocks so all bushes etc will be standard. A 3" lift will need castor correction such as drop boxes or radius arm bushes, also should have extended brake lines. Other then that be smart a bush is a bush if it looks screwed then it propbs is, i dont think it really possible to screw up installing a lift.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bschotty View Post
    Hi all,

I'm going to be inspecting a couple of GQ Patrols for purchase tomorrow and taking them for a test drive. One has had a 2" lift and 32" tyres, the other a 3" lift and 33" muddies.

This is the first time I've ever looked at a car with a lift kit and I'm not sure what to look for... I'm a bit concerned about buying one that hasn't had the lift done properly (or safely). I've been reading a few things about Caster correction, bushings etc...

Can anyone give me a basic run down on what is required (and should be done) when adding body/spring lift to a GQ so that when I look at the trucks I can ensure that these things have been done as well?

Also any other advice that may help. I'm a newbie to all of this but trying to learn before I buy a lemon.

If I decide on a truck I'll definitely get it checked out by RACQ anyway just to be sure...

Cheers,

- Ben
    Ben, Ben, Ben.

Here's my advice..............

Make sure it's legal and that you aren't driving around in fear of a canary landing 'splat' on your windscreen.

Driving a Patrol should be pleasurable, not one of nervousness, insecurity or uncertainty.

I'm sure you have better things to do with the money you will save on a canary by legally adding another mod to your truck.

Another suggestion is to get the current owner to pay (or go halves if you're really keen) for a RWC, BEFORE you consider buying it. Then you should have peace of mind.

Another suggestion is to get a REVS check done, before you consider buying it. The last thing you want is to inherit somebody else's debt and/or problems.

So, summing up my suggestions.......
    1. Stay legal and don't be driving around in fear of a canary.
    2. Get a RWC done before you consider buying it or any other vehicle . If they won't come to the party, I'd suggest you look around for another Patrol. There may be more than the lift wrong with it!

If they do get it done, you need to see the report, don't take anybody's word! There are no friends in business. The old saying.............'buyer beware' applies here.

3. Without doubt, get a REVS check done, before you consider buying it.

I'm not trying to frighten the crap out of you, but you're about to invest a lot into your truck and you need to make sure it is safe, sound and debt free - before any money changes hand or paperwork is signed!

All the best.

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Last edited by DX grunt; 22nd April 2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,
    That's really helpful.
    I'm pretty much decided on the one with 3" lift and 33" tyres (saw the other one today and didn't look as well maintained). He's said he will go get the roadworthy/gas cert on his dime so if there are any issues with the lift being legal hopefully they're resolved at that stage or I won't go ahead. Good advice about getting a copy of the report. He's just replaced the bushes and it felt pretty solid when I took it for a drive. Mechanically it looks like this guy's taken really good care, with records of everything (was the business vehicle). I think I'll get a mechanic/RACQ to check it out anyway just in case.
    I'll call him tonight to talk $$ and hopefully the the RWC sorted out next week. I'll keep you all posted.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bschotty For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (22nd April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bschotty View Post
    Thanks,
    That's really helpful.
    I'm pretty much decided on the one with 3" lift and 33" tyres (saw the other one today and didn't look as well maintained). He's said he will go get the roadworthy/gas cert on his dime so if there are any issues with the lift being legal hopefully they're resolved at that stage or I won't go ahead. Good advice about getting a copy of the report. He's just replaced the bushes and it felt pretty solid when I took it for a drive. Mechanically it looks like this guy's taken really good care, with records of everything (was the business vehicle). I think I'll get a mechanic/RACQ to check it out anyway just in case.
    I'll call him tonight to talk $$ and hopefully the the RWC sorted out next week. I'll keep you all posted.
    Nice one.

Don't forget the REVS check!!!

Take care out there.

Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revs is gone
    They have this new rip off scheme in it's place wich is useless.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, had it wrong. It's only a 2" lift so everything should be legal. I take it 33" tyres are legal? I think the rule is 2" over largest optional tyre but I'm not sure what that is on a GQ... Anyway I'll soon find out when he gets the RWC.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically 33's are illegal. As the max is 15mm diameter over placaded tyre size. on a GQ in QLD 32" is the maximum legal size. I say technically 'cos I think no-one in recorded history has ever been pinched for having 33's alone unless they were caught doing something stupid first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast