Thread: Recommended mods for GUIII MY02 3.0L Turbo Diesel Manual

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended mods for GUIII MY02 3.0L Turbo Diesel Manual

So I've just bought my new Patrol, and am absolutely loving it (I'm used to owning little rice boxes) and I've never done any 4WDing before.

At this stage, I think it is pretty stock standard, but I'm looking to move up north somewhere within the next year, and building up to that, I'd like to start getting into 4WDing. What mods should I be getting to start with and also what should I build up towards?

I've read about the stuff to do with the MAF? Should I be doing anything there? Also given it might be a while till I get up north, should I be looking at getting a snorkle?

What about things like air compressors/decompressors? Winches? Maxtrax? Any other suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the history of it ? being an 02 zd30 -prime hand grenade , how many km's . Doing the NADS is a major consideration , check your intercooler for leakage and excessive blow buy issues . Yes cleaning maf is a must . For me knowing the entire driveline is the best it can be is priority before any other mods are done . put the snorkel , winch , compresser etc on the wish list for now and research on this forum the things I have mentioned regarding your engine and you should get a fair understanding of what its all about . Be happy to meet you at the bunnings carpark at coburg one arvo and show you the mods on mine as I live not far from there bud . let us know.
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I had gotten past most of the hand-grenade stuff by getting the GUIII rather than a GUII? It has done 168,000kms at this stage. I will look up the other stuff and check back with ya. Would it be fair to say though that given everyone knows the history of the ZD30, that cleaning the MAF would be done by the mechanic at each service anyway? Obviously, it is never safe to assume, but I suppose the more common a problem is, the more common it would be for people to actively prevent it too?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading the reference document it recommends snorkel as one of the most important mods so I would definitely do this along with other NADS

Cheers
    Rusty

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate, unfortunately I'm not lucky enough to have access to the reference document yet but I am working on it :P

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good, you'll get it soon enough, and it's worth it, got some great info.

Boots suggestions are the way to go and I'd personally add the snorkel to the 'as soon as $$ is available' list To quote from the reference doc:

"Engine Prptection:
    Snorkel - Proably the most important item for any diesel engine.On a Patrol the air intake come from inside the left hand (passenger) side guard. As you drive the dust that is stirred up from the front tyre is sucked into the guard and into the filter thereby blocking it quickly. Diesels do not like water and if it gets into your engine it can be a rebuild or replacement, if you are lucky it may just be a clean out...... etc etc"

Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi filodore
    the first thing you need to look at is doing the nads,youve got a great
    motor there and they run well if looked after,it dosnt sound like your
    in a hurry to go bush and cross any rivers just now but yes a snorkel
    will be a part of your nads at this stage
    if i was you id talk to boots and meet up as suggested to get an understanding
    of what these nads will do for your rig,they definately do help these motors
    but like most things not invincable

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    hi filodore
    the first thing you need to look at is doing the nads,youve got a great
    motor there and they run well if looked after,it dosnt sound like your
    in a hurry to go bush and cross any rivers just now but yes a snorkel
    will be a part of your nads at this stage
    if i was you id talk to boots and meet up as suggested to get an understanding
    of what these nads will do for your rig,they definately do help these motors
    but like most things not invincable
    i like that

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm most happy to go get the NADS done, but I have no idea what I'm doing myself. Can anybody recommend a mechanic, preferably in the North-ish suburbs of Melbourne that I can take it to and he would know what I'm going on about? What sort of price range would I be looking at for having someone else do it? I found some other posts saying it would come in less than $1000 if I did it myself, but I don't have anywhere to do it also.