Thread: Upgrading car audio in Patrol GU III 2002

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrading car audio in Patrol GU III 2002

So I've recently become a new addition to the Patrol family, and loving it, but being only 24 years old, music is still a big thing for me in the car. I know this isn't the absolute most suitable place to be asking for car audio advice since it applies to any car really, and not just a patrol, but thought some of you may be able to help.

I'm just wondering, as in the past, I've only had upgraded head units and at one point an amp and subwoofer, but being a nice big beast of a patrol, what would be recommended in terms of upgrading?

I'm looking at a new head unit, maybe some new speakers (How many do I need? Are there only 4?), and also a possibility for the future being a new Amp and Subwoofer, where would you recommend I put these in the patrol?

I'm planning on buying the parts online and getting them installed separately somewhere else (hoping to find it cheaper that way than paying somebody like JB Hifi or Autobarn). Can anybody recommend places that can do a good job of installing car audio in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne? What about sound deadening for the doors, etc?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    run 6.5 inch splits if you are getting a amp and sub dont touch 6x9's how powerful are you going on the system?? sound deadening is not needed unless your going a comp style system (3000watts+) do the install your self its simple if your gonna run amp and sub for sure run the wires so when you have the funds for the sub and amp you can just plug them in and adjust the settings on the unit i just did my gq 6.5 inch splits front and barn doors sub amp and head unit only took about an hour

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all the wiring though, that's the problem. I've tried doing a head unit once and it was so fiddly. Is it fairly simple once you just pull off all the panels, etc? Now that you mention it, I'd probably be happy to have a crack on a weekend off work. I guess I could work it out once all the manuals were read, including the one for the patrol itself so I know how to get the panels off and where to run the wires?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filodore View Post
    I wouldn't have a clue where to start with all the wiring though, that's the problem. I've tried doing a head unit once and it was so fiddly. Is it fairly simple once you just pull off all the panels, etc? Now that you mention it, I'd probably be happy to have a crack on a weekend off work. I guess I could work it out once all the manuals were read, including the one for the patrol itself so I know how to get the panels off and where to run the wires?
    yeah its a simple job before you buy your system get front door panel and where ever the rear ones are and get the measurement of the speakers then you know what size they are they should be a 6" i think. but go splits better base and treb heaps better and clearer style of speakers might as well save 200 in ya pocket and buy a few slabs while you do it my number one tip is to get speakers that fit behind the panels so it still looks stock and it wont be up against your knees when in the car

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i'll definitely have a crack then when i get back from my trip o/s... in terms of getting the splits so that they have the better sound... how do they fit where the old speakers are? because there won't really be any opening for the separate pieces aside from the main speaker? i don't really want to be putting any new holes in the doors, etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by filodore View Post
    well i'll definitely have a crack then when i get back from my trip o/s... in terms of getting the splits so that they have the better sound... how do they fit where the old speakers are? because there won't really be any opening for the separate pieces aside from the main speaker? i don't really want to be putting any new holes in the doors, etc.
    post a pic of your trim when ya can. but do you have th buldge speaker storage holder at the bottom?? if so they are screwed in and you can undo a crew and put the wire through. the splits come with screws to mount them and some double sided adhesive

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll grab a pic next weekend when i'm back from my trip then and see what you have to say. although it's just your standard 2002 guIII if that helps any bit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you still need a hand mate I live out in lilydale and can probably come give you a hand

Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 6,251 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, 6.5" splits running off an amp are the best things you could do. I've got them in my front doors and 6x9s in the barn doors (might change them to 6.5 splits too). They're all running off one amp, and I've got a 15" Kicker CVR sub running off another amp. It gets noisy that's for sure.