OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Touring spares and recovery gear.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    This is my favourite....Maxtrax (this is Version 1) and a shovel, of course

I've also heard of a couple of strips of carpet work too (can double up as a 'ground sheet' for the swag). Never tried that myself though, but would be doing a trial run in controlled conditions before I attempted it out there.

Off subject a little bit.....I'm a firm believer in driving to the conditions. You shouldn't be driving your troll like you stole it, or doing a TV advert.

PPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.
    Ya missed a "P" rossco

Tapp tillya Crap
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 27th May 2012 at 05:54 AM.

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    This is my favourite....Maxtrax (this is Version 1) and a shovel, of course

I've also heard of a couple of strips of carpet work too (can double up as a 'ground sheet' for the swag). Never tried that myself though, but would be doing a trial run in controlled conditions before I attempted it out there.

Off subject a little bit.....I'm a firm believer in driving to the conditions. You shouldn't be driving your troll like you stole it, or doing a TV advert.

PPPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.
    G`day DX
    Have seen these jiggers used and would recommend that a long, strong rope be tied to them as they disappear into the depths due to wheel spin and then are hard retrieve but with a rope attached its allot easier.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    G`day DX
    Have seen these jiggers used and would recommend that a long, strong rope be tied to them as they disappear into the depths due to wheel spin and then are hard retrieve but with a rope attached its allot easier.
    Version 2 has the rope or something similar, and a bit of a design change. Thanks. Rossco
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    besides the 6 P's also take into account the KISS principle - Keep It Simple Stupid - the more exotic or unnecassary things you do to your rig or needless gear you take will nearly always end up in a mess
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (28th May 2012)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I have not used much on my own car or caravan I have helped others and it gives me the confidence to travel to interesting, fun and remote places.

Actually maybe I have, Just thinking about it, I once held an engine in place between two jacks and the mud guards after the mounts failed, I have replaced a couple of wheel bearings on the side of the road , welded up a spare battery bracket, welded the end on a Tie rod on my sons GQ,

You can break someting and have an issue doing the Monkey Gum fire trail at Yalwal or the Oodnadatta or the Gibb River.

The baby chainsaw is great I have been temporarily stopped by a tree at Lloydes siding near Dorrigo Some of the FT's near Goulburn but its best for FIREWOOD.

Most of the stuff goes in a larger metal tool box and weighs about 25 KG.

My tool list Tools ( and I have this list on the computer because I suffer badly from CRAFT) (Cant Remmember A Flamin Thing)

Sockets
    Metric spanners
    Imperial spanners
    Pliers
    Screwdrivers
    Chisel/punch
    Baby chainsaw and bits
    Visegips
    Allen keys
    Ball pien hammer
    43mm hub nut socket
    Multgrips
    LPG torch
    Solder
    24 volt stick welder kit
    Tyre levers / pipe
    Tyre patch from the inside
    Tyre plug kit
    Battery drill / drills
    Angle grinder
    Small multimeter
    Air jack
    hydraulic jack
    Screw jack
    Blocks of wood
    Baby chainsaw and bits
    ¾ axe with full handle
    Air compressor
    Head torch
    Jumper leads
    Leather gloves

My supplies list
    Radiator hose s
    Silastic
    Tek screws
    Araldite
    Contact glue
    Electrical tape
    Gaffer tape
    Small bolt and washer selection
    Fuses
    A couple of sizes of tie wire
    About 5 metres of electrical wire
    6mm fuel line
    8mm fuel line
    Selection of hose clamps
    Epoxy metal putty
    2 metres of 3mm chain +3 mm locks
    Tub of grease
    5 litres of oil
    500 ml of brake fluid
    2 stroke fuel
    Chainsaw oil
    WD40
    spare ford whell bearing
    Spare holden wheel bearing
    Wheel and axle nuts

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crankshaft For This Useful Post:

Flo-w (18th October 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re. Max Trax - I've seen a few folk recommend these things, but boy thet are pretty expensive for two pieces of moulded plastic. I'l probably eventually convince myself to get some, but I really can't see how their price can be justified. Is it really because nothing else is as light or does the job as well?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great list crankshaft. Cheers, I might use that.
    GU IV 2006 4.2 TDi wagon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That list is awesome crankshaft not much would stop you short of throwing a leg out of bed.
    Hey cuppa, a cheaper and somewhat effective substitute for max trax is a couple of hessian bags filled with small branches etc, the bags pack up nice and small. Super cheap also sell some rubber roll out type max traxy type things.
    91 Maverick, TD42 Naturally Athsmatic, GU airbox, Red Arc battery management, HID upgrade, UHF, 2 inch body , 2 inch Iron Man, Bighorn 33's , Homemade cargo barrier, Rear 1/4 cut, Homemade rear bar, Roofrack , soon to be installed front Lokka.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have done Simpson and read the aboveand watch Action 4WD. You will need extra fuel, long distance between fuel stops. Suggest enough drinking water to survive 5 days if stranded plus what you need per day I think it's recommended 10L/day. This can be topped up at stops that have water. You need to be self sufficent with cooking method by gas etc. Keep clothing to minimium but have both summer and winter clothes. Hot days cold nights. Because you are travelling through some aboriginal areas, you may not be allowed to have a petrol chainsaw, so I recomend just an axe to cut some fire wood. A good toolbox of mechanical tools. Exhaust jack would be lighter than hi-lift. Air compressor is a must. Shovel. Two torches.

We took two spares wheels and needed none. Shocks were taken and used two sets of spares. Spare light bulbs of all types, fan belts, thermostat, gasket paper and sealant make a good choice of spares.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx guys this is been good reading as a few us down here are doing a postie bike run from cairns to the cape in sept so this will be a great start for us in our trols.
    Keep up the good ideas

Cheers
    Got the baby GQ a 1997 2.8TD RX Wagon Racetech EGT & Boost Guages Dobinsons coils 32in BFG KM2 M/T

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast