OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Touring spares and recovery gear.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Touring spares and recovery gear.

We have done Simpson, cape York, Vic high country, and tassie west coast along with other short trips.

Doing canning next year with mates and the question has been raised....

What spares do we really need and do we need heavy rarely used equipment such as the 15 year old high lift that has sunk to the back of the shed some 12 years ago???

If you carry everything that is suggested we would all need F250's...

Look forward to reading the replies.
    Owen.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oq00rf
    GU4_3"lift_4"exhaust_sliders_Bars_fridge_roof top camper_lockers_duramax_allison_ohh yeah!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a basic tool kit to do some work if needed carry 10 L of water rope race tape and a few hose clamps hoses and belts air and fuel filters and oil that's about it. I remember in my old (dare I say it) Hilux I burst a bottom radiator hose and the other people their were laughing at me (they were [patrol and paj owners) I then preceded to take it off replace it fill it with water and fill the rest up with creek water all before they offered a hand then I drove out with a large smile on my face when I found one of them bogged and I pulled them out haha.
    An old boy taught me to live by the 6 P's

Prior Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a basic tool kit.

Socket sets 1/4 & 1/2 inch
    A couple of hammers ( small & big)
    Cold chisels
    Screw drivers
    Allen Keys
    Hack saw
    Electrical crimper, Crimps, Wire, cable tires, electricl tape
    Multi Meter
    Hose clamps
    fan belts
    Oil, Water. breAK FLUID
    crc
    Metal putty
    Fuses
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day Patty.
    Did the Canning in 08 with 6 vehicles 2 of us towed camper trailers did not have any issues.
    We took 21 days to do it and we think even that was a bit fast. so a couple of tips keep the speed down, run low tire pressures we ran 18psi with no flats.
    If you intend to travel quickly carry spare shockers F and R learn to 12volt weld carry small pieces of flat steel to make brackets and gussets, batt powered drill and angle grinder.
    Also I carry ground pepper for any radiator leaks it works great. Apart from the above I would carry just the usual bits and pieces. The corrugations can be quiet server and for long stretches
    so keep the weight down and travel slowly

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pearcey View Post
    G`day Patty.
    Did the Canning in 08 with 6 vehicles 2 of us towed camper trailers did not have any issues.
    We took 21 days to do it and we think even that was a bit fast. so a couple of tips keep the speed down, run low tire pressures we ran 18psi with no flats.
    If you intend to travel quickly carry spare shockers F and R learn to 12volt weld carry small pieces of flat steel to make brackets and gussets, batt powered drill and angle grinder.
    Also I carry ground pepper for any radiator leaks it works great. Apart from the above I would carry just the usual bits and pieces. The corrugations can be quiet server and for long stretches
    so keep the weight down and travel slowly
    Hey Pearcey how ya doing buddy,
    Please explain the ground pepper mate, first time ive heard that one, and with your experience i am keen to know how this one works.
    "Tonka Tuff" 08-GU6, 3.0lt crd, 5 Speed, Turbo Diesel, Hpd, Arb, Ome, MT Baja Atz.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild98 View Post
    Please explain the ground pepper mate, first time ive heard that one, and with your experience i am keen to know how this one works.
    The ground pepper will not dissolve and will work into any small pin holes and block the way similar to the chemi-weld stuff you buy from auto stores i believe.

Junk your HiLift Jack mate and buy an Exhaust jack instead, simply a safer, lighter more affective lifting device. 10/10
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

phtest (15th September 2014), Tank (25th May 2012), wildgu6 (25th May 2012)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done it - pepper will find its way to the leak and plug the hole. It stays hard unlike other things.
    If the hole is bigger, cracking an egg into the radiator will work as well, because the egg finds its way to the hole and then goes rock hard as well. The pepper is good for tiny holes only like a weld crack rather than a stick hole?
    if you have a stick hole, you can use metal putty, adn then seal any tiny leaks with pepper.

good tip for newbies though.
    GU4_3"lift_4"exhaust_sliders_Bars_fridge_roof top camper_lockers_duramax_allison_ohh yeah!!!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PattyWgnOwen For This Useful Post:

PRIGBY (3rd August 2016), Tank (25th May 2012), wildgu6 (25th May 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never done the CSR or any long distance tracks but it's on the bucket list.

I am new to the patrols so getting the right spares such as filters, belts etc is a working progress.

At the moment the gear I have in the drawers include, torch, first aid kit, various tools such as spanners, sockets, screw drivers, allen keys etc, recovery kit with pulley's, shackkles, straps etc, foldable shovel, air compressor, tomahawk, gas cartridge burner / cooker, cookset, hexamine stove and hexi tabs, towel, rags, collapsable hikers kitchen sink (waits for the laughs), length of garden hose, fuses, cables and ties, mozzie spray, suncream, hi vis jacket and vest, battery lantern, emergency thermal blanket and I forgets what else.

Things yet to put in are my 2 man hikers tent and hikers sleeping bag, small tarp, filters / belts etc

I know there is more that I have in the rig and yet to put so I will update this list when I remember or check the rig
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wild98 View Post
    Pete how you going mate.
    yes the prpper works as has be told by others here and its good to see there are some good hints coming through.
    One good thing about pepper is the radiator repairers love it as it is very easy to clean out when a repair is required not like trying to remove a boiled egg, or most of the commercial stop leak products.
    One other thing I did not mention is that I try to only carry things that have 2 or more uses which is a way to reduce the weight . Weight is the biggest enemy of off road travel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my favourite....Maxtrax (this is Version 1) and a shovel, of course

I've also heard of a couple of strips of carpet work too (can double up as a 'ground sheet' for the swag). Never tried that myself though, but would be doing a trial run in controlled conditions before I attempted it out there.

Off subject a little bit.....I'm a firm believer in driving to the conditions. You shouldn't be driving your troll like you stole it, or doing a TV advert.

PPPPPP as been mentioned before. Plan your trip and allow extra time for anything unexpected.
    Last edited by NissanGQ4.2; 27th May 2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Gave Rossco a P *L*
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast