Thread: Gq swivel hub kit

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gq swivel hub kit

After a bit of a play late Saturday (and the wee hours of Sunday morning) I think I have done a swivel hub seal. Been looking at the kits, and wondering if it's worth getting the bearings included and also if there are any brands to stay away from.
    I don't know the service history of the wheel bearings so I'm thinking it's worth doing for the extra $50 or so.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

Cheers

tappin it
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the kit I used Taslucas -

http://store.onlineautoparts.com.au/...%20Kit%2087-97

Their physical shop is pretty close to home. I also bought wheel bearing kits, brake rotors and pads from them.

The lock washer for the wheel bearing retaining nuts was not as thick/heavy duty as the one previously installed. The bearings etc were recognised and highly regarded Japanese brands.

They didn't include the rubber edged metal discs that are intended to seperate the king pin bearings from the CV joint space. If you are careful and think about how these are installed you can probably keep them intact - I learned to after the first one :-) otherwise they are available from Nissan, at $30 each, and therefore presumably Ni22bits etc

I posted some info here in Jan or Feb last year when I did mine. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...in-plug-remove

also took the opportunity to clean and relube the cvs

So far, so good!
    Last edited by Silver; 16th April 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:

taslucas (22nd April 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,953 Times in 6,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine off ebay cant remember the supplier but make sure you get japanese bearings not chinese copies

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you have oil coming from your swivel then its more than likely your inner axle seal that needs to be replaced. So if didnt want the extra cost that would be all you would need plus your wheels bearings. However if you are just wanting to fresh all bearings and seals up then a kit is the way to go some kits include bearings others dont.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps guys. I think I will go with the kit in your link Silver. $160 is cheaper than the others I've seen. Ill need to get it done and back on the road in one go so would you say it's worth getting those rubber edged spacers you spoke of silver just in case I damage one?

I'll be needing to keep driving it for a few weeks(will keep out of 4wd), should/can I top up the fluid to replace what's coming out? I'll post a pick of how much is coming out tonight.

tappin it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So in theory it should be right to let a bit of this oil run out as long as I don't use 4wd?

tappin it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its diff oil thats coming out, you should be ok as long as you dont use 4wd or lock your hubs the centre isnt moving

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While ya got it pulled down you should think about a LoKKA ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You could drive around like that in 4wd if you had too, not that big a deal. as Growler stated it's Diff oil your looking at. as long as you have not lost 2lts of the stuff your going to be fine.

The biggest problem you have right now actually is that that Diff Oil has mixed with your CV grease and your Wheel Bearing grease and is basically Washing them out of the good stuff. If you have to run around a bit or delay for weeks then think about wheel bearings too.

If your going a kit I'd definitely go the new Wheel bearings and King Pin bearings too. You Will notice the difference. Huge!

If you'd just put it back together and that happened then just repack the bearings and new seal but if they have been in a while go the whole hog mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No point doing it unless you replace the inner axle seal as well otherwise the diff oil will leak straight back out the new swivel hub seals and also wash the grease out of your CV's which will have to come out for cleaning and repacking anyway.
    They didn't include the rubber edged metal discs that are intended to seperate the king pin bearings from the CV joint space.
    They dont because those seals are a Nissan only made part. They stop diff oil from a leaking inner axle seal or water from getting into the swivel hub bearings.
    I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bordertech For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast