OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mk sd 33 and 5 speed into mq sd33 4 speed shorty will it all fit?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iansmqshotyy View Post
    Hi all was just wondering if any one here has done an engine and 5 speed swap into an mq shorty? both are sd 33 but im not sure about the gearbags, drive shafts ect...
    Motor and box bolt straight in,except the exhaust will be shorter at the front due to the turbo
    The 5 speed shafts are different in the 4 speed and the 5 speed in all as the 5 speed gearbox is longer
    So longer front shaft and shorter rear shaft
    IF for some reason you cant obtain the 5 speed tailshafts for this conversion (ive a set here) keep the 4 speed the SD33T will bolt up but the throw out bearing on the clutch fork is different , but if you have a donor car that has this bit just swap it over (not sure re the spigot bush,ive just done an SD33T conversion in an n/a, but was a 5 speed, maybe its a 4 speed thing ???)
    Its alot easier IF you can split the motor and box for the refit , as it can and does get hooked up on the rad support ,firewall and box gets hooked up on the xmember underneath

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both motors are na.... its the drive shafts i was worried about and if the front 5 speed shaft will go ill just get the rear shortened (:

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you already have the front 5 speed shaft ???
    The rear tailshaft are a 2 piece so not sure how theyll go shortening it, as they will need the open and closed measurements to be accurate to the factory 5 speed shaft specs to be right
    The tailshafts are 2 piece and slide inside each other as the car flexes, unlike a normal tailshaft that slides in and out of the gearbo in a car
    Have a look youll see what i mean
    The MQ will be a 24V, so swapping the engines over youll need to swap over all the 24V gear, or convert the car to a 12V, which entails wiring alterations, different guages and such
    As simple as these old rigs are there is always little pitfalls when mix n matching between MQ and MK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ MAD View Post
    So you already have the front 5 speed shaft ???
    The rear tailshaft are a 2 piece so not sure how theyll go shortening it, as they will need the open and closed measurements to be accurate to the factory 5 speed shaft specs to be right
    The tailshafts are 2 piece and slide inside each other as the car flexes, unlike a normal tailshaft that slides in and out of the gearbo in a car
    Have a look youll see what i mean
    The MQ will be a 24V, so swapping the engines over youll need to swap over all the 24V gear, or convert the car to a 12V, which entails wiring alterations, different guages and such
    As simple as these old rigs are there is always little pitfalls when mix n matching between MQ and MK
    You can get around the 24V problem with a device that allows 24V for motor and supplies all other parts of vehicle 12V.

I know as I have a F Truck with 24V Isuzu engine in it and all other electics r original 12V running of this inverter thingy. I'll have to find out it's name again.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    You can get around the 24V problem with a device that allows 24V for motor and supplies all other parts of vehicle 12V.

I know as I have a F Truck with 24V Isuzu engine in it and all other electics r original 12V running of this inverter thingy. I'll have to find out it's name again.

Tim
    Those things help
    My miso canter was a 24V , we had to get the trailer connecter converted to 12V , sick of changing bulbs everytime i needed trailer

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things help
    My miso canter was a 24V , we had to get the trailer connecter converted to 12V , sick of changing bulbs everytime i needed trailer
    thats why i changed my trailer to 12v-30v led lights

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those things help
    Yeah it's not a simple converterlike that, thisthing supplys 24 to starter but 12 v to alternator lights etc.

Tim

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fortunately im just goin swap all the 24v onto the mk engine, beauty of having 2 whole trucks (:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fortunately im just goin swap all the 24v onto the mk engine, beauty of having 2 whole trucks (:
    That'll work

Tim

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starter , yes
    Alternator , yes (theres a few different alternators and brackets but use what you have )
    IP,there 12V and 24V so you mite have to swap that over
    The glow plugs are 12V or 24V , so swap them as well
    Thats of the top of me head

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast