Thread: diy ideas

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

diy ideas

hey guys im new to the 4wd sence i have had a gq 4.2s swb have had to recently sell that and buy a gq lwb due to growing family. it is also a 4.2s. just wondering what i could do to it diy wise inside and out aswell as engine. it has 320.000k's on it but have had no probs yet.

cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    petrol or diesel? what sort of things do you want to achieve? install accessories or performance mods?
    If you going through hell...Keep going

GQ wagon locked - lifted - 33's, 02 SS ute, XB coupe 460bb, KTM530

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It would be a TB42S carby model I guess. Also how handy are you with mechanical stuff. There would no limits what you could achieve with the right set of hands, bit unlike me...LOLL

As said above, what are you trying to achieve?.

some ideas.
    Dual battery kit wired to the back for fridge
    Spotties
    Entertainment unit for the kids..lol
    suspension upgrade
    probably new seats at GQ's comfort is like riding a bull .
    sliders
    Drawers in the back if you don't need the 3rd row seat
    if you can tweak up the engine
    Last edited by Maxhead; 10th April 2012 at 07:55 AM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissPat View Post
    probably new seats at GQ's comfort is like riding a bull
    Interesting that you say that.
    After my father did a trip in a friend's GU recently (and it's only done about 55,000 Km's), he commented on how much better the ride in our GQ is, and it's done almost 250,000. Our seats look original, and I think the springs are too, as it sits just a bit lower than the factory specs for height.
    Maybe it was just that the GU tyres were pumped up too much for how much load they had, but dad said it was an uncomfortable trip.
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post
    Interesting that you say that.
    After my father did a trip in a friend's GU recently (and it's only done about 55,000 Km's), he commented on how much better the ride in our GQ is, and it's done almost 250,000. Our seats look original, and I think the springs are too, as it sits just a bit lower than the factory specs for height.
    Maybe it was just that the GU tyres were pumped up too much for how much load they had, but dad said it was an uncomfortable trip.
    Yeah the GU had the suspension removed...LOLOLOLO. just kidding. It's just what you hear daily and the amount of posts on here on how to change to GU or other seats.
    Also ask AB how his arse was after he arrived at loveday last week.....LOLOLOL

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissPat View Post
    It's just what you hear daily and the amount of posts on here on how to change to GU or other seats.
    I've seen that too, so I dunno what the deal is. I do wonder if some guys put in heavy duty springs, but don't increase their load enough to compensate for how much harder they are.
    If I find towing our van makes ours sag at the back, I think I'll put in air bags rather than heavier springs.

So that raises another question for you 41ook_patrol, if you upgrade the suspension, what's the best way to do it?
    1989 GQ LWB Wagon, TB42 Petrol/LPG Auto. Bought Dec 2010

Thanks
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper View Post

So that raises another question for you 41ook_patrol, if you upgrade the suspension, what's the best way to do it?
    Yeah good point.

You need to know what you will be carrying and think about upgrades later on when you go new suspension.

Lot of people just whack new suspension in then add bits and pieces after and wonder why it handles like shti. LOL

I went with heavy duty (I think 400kg constant load) in the back and mid duty front. Perfect combo for steel bar,winch and side bar in the front. At the rear I have rear draw which is around 150kgs then fridge, tools and recovery gear. Then I tow around 2600kg plus a lot as well.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey guys thanks for all the comments.
    yer its a tb4.2 carby. i was thinking a 3inch lift 33's. and then a bit of performance work it has 320,000k's on it but still goin strong. as we all know lol. draws are handy yes but i need the 7 seat. it has spotties bull bar and side steps.
    i just want it for a family/weekender lol as i have future plans on buying a td4.2 and making it a weekend warrior so the wifey still has the family car lol. so i wanna do a bit just not to much if that make sence lol.
    thanks ppl

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remember the suspension you choose will swap over to a TD42 in a GQ or a GU no problem. Lots of stuff will mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yer and also i forgot to add i am a little bit handy lol have some know how and a bit mechanical minded