Thread: Auto to Manual Conversion

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto to Manual Conversion

Hi All, i want to convert auto to manual in a TB42 carbie mdl GQ, are the transfer cases the same and is it a pain in the butt to do if anyone knows it would be greatly appreciated Cheers Cam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transfer cases are the same.

Tony

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As YNOT has already said, transfer cases are interchangable. Your carby has a different throttle body with a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) that is connected to the tacho and speedo via the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Not sure if it will effect them in any way but worth keeping in mind. Other circuits for warning lights may also be affected by removing the TCM, the manuals have a different instrument cluster

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Thanks guys and XLR8 thanks heaps for explaining complications i may encounter good to know

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to be a wet blanket but I would think it would be cheaper to sell the auto and buy a manual.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have thought of this, the only thing is Mrowka is that i am so attached to my beast and have it set up exactly the way i want it and alot of blood, sweat and tears went into it lol, i think i will just save up to do the v8 conversion or a rebuild of motor and box.Thanks though

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I'm doing this change over now. I found some one parting out a GQ so I got all the parts for $500. It makes it easy to get in if you remove the 2 gear sticks and motor mounts . By removing the mounts you can tilt the motor and slide the box in . It is a tight fit.other probe I found was the hole in the crank where the out put shaft slides into was 20mm and the shaft was 15mm so needs a spacer fitted. The auto has a switch to stop it starting in 1st 2nd and rev so the plug ( big red 1 with 2 wires) need to be joined together or the starter motor will not work. My fuel pump is screening like hell and ideling ruff .... so I will post what the fix is when I sort it out. I done it at home With a jack to lift/lower the box and only jacked the GQ up on 1 side to Slide the box out(that's why I removed the gear sticks). MY TIPS IF YOUR DOING THIS.... book a mate in before you need him in case he / she can not come over there and then. Have a breaker bar . TOOLS 10,12,14,17,18,19 MM . plyers screw driver. Air tools saved a lot of time....