Thread: Roof Rack Legs

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dam u could have bought a cheapy ebay rack and tossed out the rack. lol
    Scotty B | Take it Off Road or Take it Back
    3.0L GUIV 2005 - TIG Welded Intercooler, NADS, Redarc Dual Battery, Additional rear power socket, 2" Lift (Ironman constant load foam cell), Electronic Trailer Brake Controller, Steel Bullbar, 12,000lb Winch, UHF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Cairns and want a rack for my GQ, been looking for an ebay rack but they cost bucket loads to freight up. I can make my own rack but want to buy the legs if anyone knows anywhere else you can get them that would be great, and there is no way i am paying $300 for 6 legs.
    If you going through hell...Keep going

GQ wagon locked - lifted - 33's, 02 SS ute, XB coupe 460bb, KTM530

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo Enter View Post
    Here's a follow-on to the roof rack legs saga. I bought a set of 6 ARB legs. Big wait - 5 weeks to come in. Came all neatly packaged in a box with a parts list and not so good fitting instructions. So I had to use common sense! Good quality. Bolts, flat washers and spring washers are all stainless steel.

I had to cut the original legs of my roof rack which I made to suit an MQ. It also fitted my GQ. I had made several fittings for the rack including a tent pole carrier, shovel holder, canoe carrier and a jerry can holder. So I was a bit reluctant to throw it away.

The attached photos show how the legs are mounted to the roof gutters and to the rack. I used blocks of wood to hold up the legs until they were bolted to the rack. The clamps used to attach the legs to the rack come with the ARB kit. The centre bolt on the upright of the legs fixex the height of the leg. The two bigger bolts take the weight. Because of the clamp arrangement and slots in the top horizontal part of the leg, the legs are adjustable horizontally. It is a bit fiddly to get the height and horizontal adjustments correct. Attachment 16589
    They are the same brackets that come with the chinese cheapy racks, except for the clamps plate over the top. I should know I used to sell them.
    I love terra firma - the less firma the more terra

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try one of the cheap Ebay stores or Tigerz11 or the like. I know others have had good customer service from Ebay stores after buying one of their racks and needing replacement parts. They may be able to do you a deal you never know.

I guess you would need to change out the nuts and bolts etc for stainless once you got em too.

Cheers

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My alloy roof rack, bought second hand has legs, but also a rail that sits in the gutter the length of the rack. At this stage I want to keep the rail.

I found this crowd in the USA searching on line and sent them an e-mail on the weekend.

http://gamiviti.com/html/products_roofrackparts.html

This is the link to the 'rain gutter tower' http://gamiviti.com/html/products_ro...hor_rackclamps

I got a response on Tuesday that was pretty helpful, including working out a price including shipping to Australia. So the customer service looks pretty good.

I have not gone ahead with them yet because I don't want to remove the legs and gutter rail, and thus only want to use the clamp and plate components, which may not be 100% perfect for what I want to do. They look pretty good for those who are going to remove legs, or build a bar from scratch.

I didn't think of contacting one of the local e-bay roof rack sellers :-(

I did however go to the local 4wd shop, who pointed me to a custom roof rack maker in Virginia, a suburb of Brisbane. I'll see them in the next few days, hopefully, as I want to get some other work done to the rack to make it easier to load the framework for our 6mx3m ga2ebo.
    RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many!

"As a boat owner and a four wheel drive owner I feel like a pelican: every where I look I see a big bill in front of me”

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made some at home using 2 pieces of angle iron for each leg works a treat and very low to the roof as to install the cage ontop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12