OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Numbers dropped off when the engine was warmed...

Numbers dropped off when the engine was warmed up. Compression dropped to 23 in some cylinders. Mechanic did a wet test and the promptly rose, thus indicating at a minimum a piston ring problem. Will...
  2. Thanks mate for the input. I'm having the...

Thanks mate for the input. I'm having the mechanic adjust the valves today and then retest, so I'll update on the findings when I get the new readings.
  3. Thanks, mate. Working to get a compression test...

Thanks, mate. Working to get a compression test done soon. The guy I would get it from ran it for a while in his own Patrol (40k kms) without any problems, but ran into registration problems with...
  4. The Siberian Patrol is down :( Please help!

Mates,

After returning from a 1300+km round trip on our winter roads, my engine has started detonating (I think) pretty severely.

The day after I returned (and the Patrol ran perfectly on the...
  5. Replies
    Views

From my research, it is a DMF in the RD28TI (GU)....

From my research, it is a DMF in the RD28TI (GU). More than likely I will be doing the work myself with limited tools, so no chance of getting the clutch or flywheel balanced or machined up here in...
  6. I've seen quite a few different engine swaps on...

I've seen quite a few different engine swaps on YouTube - even a few to a BMW engine. But I didn't have the time or the resources to do a swap this time. Maybe next time something goes I'll be able...
  7. I'll just borrow one of your Patrols while I'm...

I'll just borrow one of your Patrols while I'm there ;)

Seriously, I'd love to visit the land down under sometime but that would be quite a bit in the future.

1999 GU RD28Ti; mechanical...
  8. Now the next question will be "What's next?" ...

Now the next question will be "What's next?" Well I've got a list of future mods that keeps growing, but here are some things planned for the future:

Custom 3" exhaust and intake
    Snorkel...
  9. Formally Introducing the Siberian Patrol

So now it's not just a head gasket that I am needing, but a complete engine overhaul - a full rebuild. Thankfully we were able to find a replacement head off of an RD28 non-turbo engine and had it...
  10. After all of that, I was ready for the first trip...

After all of that, I was ready for the first trip up the winter road in mid-December 2015. I'll be doing a full write up on the trip in another thread, but suffice it to say it was quite the trip.
  11. Formally Introducing the Siberian Patrol

In the meantime, I had picked up a few more mods and bits that I was anxious to install in preparation for a trip up the winter ice road here in Siberia.

SaaS boost and EGT gauges...
  12. I was riding good for a couple of weeks - all was...

I was riding good for a couple of weeks - all was going well, until a parking lot incident ripped off a rear flare and revealed a whole lot of rust damage in the wheel well and fender area. ...
  13. I managed to track down a turbo shop and got them...

I managed to track down a turbo shop and got them to pull my turbo and check it out and they said that the turbine shaft had been scored and pitted because it spun a bearing. So I was out for a new...
  14. Well after the fuel pump and injectors rebuild, I...

Well after the fuel pump and injectors rebuild, I noticed a nice increase in power and driveability, but I wasn't completely happy with it. The engine still seemed to idle rough and I was getting a...
  15. Formally Introducing the Siberian Patrol

At the diesel shop they ran a compression test and found that all the cylinders were operating on the low end of the tolerances, but the #4 cylinder was even below tolerances. Outside of pulling the...
  16. One of the first mods was to swap out the old GU...

One of the first mods was to swap out the old GU taillight a for some more modern LEDs with a proper reversing light on both sides....
  17. Formally Introducing the Siberian Patrol

After 6+ months of asking for advice and help to get my ride road-worthy, I figured it's now time to do a formal build-up thread.

I began my search for a rugged vehicle last May (2015) when I...
  18. Thanks for the help and support, mates! ...

Thanks for the help and support, mates! Definitely glad to be back on the road. Couldn't have done it without the support and help from everyone here. Now I need to start an official build-up...
  19. Ok, one last update. I took the Patrol out for a...

Ok, one last update. I took the Patrol out for a spin today and hit one of the hills that gave me trouble before - it's a 6% grade for about 1km. Well I hit it in 4th going about 80kph and 15psi...
  20. No, but it feels like perfect shorts and...

No, but it feels like perfect shorts and short-sleeve weather :)
  21. And you'll have to wait a bit for those -30...

And you'll have to wait a bit for those -30 pictures. We're having a heat wave right now with the temps a balmy -5C ;)
  22. Replies
    Views

Sticky: Got the Patrol back with new lifters and adjusted...

Got the Patrol back with new lifters and adjusted tappets and she's purring along nicely now. Brand new engine (rebuild) and turbo, perfectly adjusted tappets, and a boost controller installed = a...
  23. Ok final update on this situation (I hope). I got...

Ok final update on this situation (I hope). I got it back from the mechanic late Thursday and he told me that a couple of the hydraulic lifters had collapsed and weren't holding up, so he put the...
  24. 35 tickets bought. Glad to help out.

35 tickets bought. Glad to help out.
  25. Replies
    Views

Westy, sorry I didn't see this until now. Yes...

Westy, sorry I didn't see this until now. Yes the job is finished. I used a product over here called Shumoff - a dense 10mm self-adhesive insulation. Insulated the roof, pillars and sidewalls of...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4