PDA

View Full Version : Help please !! :)

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 03:31 PM
I know this question is probably asked a lot already but....

I have a 1991 Nissan Patrol GQ RB30, *I currently have a 2" suspension lift and 31" all terrains.... My preferred type of 4wding is the slow technical stuff with big hills, big rock ledges and step ups and big ruts etc... That being the case I really would like a bigger lift and tyres, But at the same time I want to keep it all legit and legal, I hear that the biggest legal lift is 2" and same with tyre size (2" higher than factory available tyres), how is it that there are plenty of 4B's getting around with 4" lift and 35" plus tyres? Is it possible in any way at all to get some sort of engineering certificate to say it's all safe?

Would you please in your honest opinion point me in the right path to take? I don't want to get caught out but at the same time I would like a really good set up so I can tackle more of the stuff I like*

Thankyou very much for your time

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 04:25 PM
Grab yourself a 2" body lift. A 2" spring lift is legal so is a 2" body lift with approval from the transport department. Grab a 2" flexy coil lift and some long travel shocks some decent 33" rubber throw a front locker in and tighten up the rear lsd and there wont be a lot of places you wont be able to go.

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 06:19 PM
thanks heaps fro the advice and reply nissannewby :) much appreciated

any ideas on what brand to go with and where to get it from... cheers

growler2058
30th March 2012, 07:28 PM
Big rig here on the forum has just had TANK engineered all legit and legal with 4" lift and is a qlnder give send him a pm or have a read of his build thread (put a day aside hahahhahahaha) Tank Big Grey and Ugly is his build thread

nissannewby
31st March 2012, 12:01 AM
suspension stuff are pretty good for kits and delivery if your local which you are they deliver for free and with in a day normally i would use say old man emu coils and shocks or dobinson coils and old man emu shocks

Richo460
9th April 2012, 08:01 AM
I just go a RWC for my patrol, its got a 4" lift and 33's. The bloke was going to blue plate it but after looking through his rule book he said he didn't have to. this is in QLD too, so yes you can get things engineered, as long as its not over the top.

Micktroll
8th May 2012, 09:45 PM
thanks heaps for the reply...havent been on here for a bit...

ive since emailed queensland transport and they got back to me saying 2' is the biggest legal etc etc..but he also said that by the end of the year they are looking at bringing in VSB 14..which will allow up to 6" lift and bigger tyres too....good news i say hehe

no idea what path im gonna take yet...undecided on if its worth the extra cash to get a 4" sus lift with 2" body lift and then im not sure if my rb30 (stock standar) will push 35" muddies????

growler2058
8th May 2012, 09:58 PM
thanks heaps for the reply...havent been on here for a bit...

ive since emailed queensland transport and they got back to me saying 2' is the biggest legal etc etc..but he also said that by the end of the year they are looking at bringing in VSB 14..which will allow up to 6" lift and bigger tyres too....good news i say hehe

no idea what path im gonna take yet...undecided on if its worth the extra cash to get a 4" sus lift with 2" body lift and then im not sure if my rb30 (stock standar) will push 35" muddies????

Reduction gears will see you turnin the 35's with relative ease mate

taslucas
9th May 2012, 07:28 AM
A mate has an RB30 with a holley on it and was running 35's with ease (meaning he was able to throw roost and step it out on the gravel easily).

Tap, crackle, pop

Micktroll
9th May 2012, 09:30 AM
is there much tuning you can do to an RB30 engine...i dont think i could be bothered with puttin fuel injection on it..... any ideas??

nissannewby
9th May 2012, 11:31 AM
Straight gas turbo would be the best way to go kinda limited with cams exhaust and carby on the little rb30

Richo460
9th May 2012, 11:46 AM
RB30's are a bloody awesome engine. The rice burner turbo skyline fellas are getting huge figures out of these blocks. Alot of people put the RB26 head (of the GTR skyline) on these bottom ends and can achieve 600+RWHP. I have seen this first hand at summernats. I would turbo it, get a blow through kit put on the carby and look for a second hand turbo kit, there are very common and cheap. My mate just bought a whole RB30 for $10 on ebay. I kinda wish i had one in my patrol cause my TD42 is painfully slow. Getting good power should be pretty cheap and easy if you do your homework.

nissannewby
9th May 2012, 11:54 AM
yeah big numbers can be had out of these little donks and the best way to achieve is to inject and turbo them for best results. Richo is spot on i would imagine it would be difficult to find a tuner who be any good a tuning a carbied rb30 these days they do exist but may be few and far between.

Micktroll
9th May 2012, 05:14 PM
wow thanks for the awesome replies guys :D much appreciated..... whats the go with injecting and turboing.... do they become a little unreliable?? i do have a really good mechanic whose always happy to look over my cars whenever i need too....but i just want reliability mainly hahaha dont wanna keep forking out cash to it...

Micktroll
9th May 2012, 05:15 PM
in saying all that...ive had my gq for over a year now and have had no problems apart from (what i think is the wheel bearings (gettin checked out soon)) and also $8 of radiator stop leak.. :D just idles beautifully

nissannewby
9th May 2012, 06:29 PM
No difference really with an injected motor you obviously net hp and torque gains with injuection plus as these motors came out injected its one of the easiest around to swap over and the aftermarket is massive as you know they were in skylines too. A stock injected motor will be better than carby and will be just as reliable.

taslucas
9th May 2012, 08:11 PM
wow thanks for the awesome replies guys :D much appreciated..... whats the go with injecting and turboing.... do they become a little unreliable?? i do have a really good mechanic whose always happy to look over my cars whenever i need too....but i just want reliability mainly hahaha dont wanna keep forking out cash to it...

The rb30 has huge aftermarket support. Jump onto some other forums for a look. VL commodore and skyline forums will have heaps of info. As has been said above, there are HUGE amounts of power to be had from them.
The mate i mentioned earlier got the 330 holley carby kit for his, bolt on and a little tune up and itll go great. Recarb does a 330cfm holley kit (i didnt find it in a quick search but i have seen it before)
They modify it for 4wd applications (inclines etc).
The RB30 is a strong engine that loves to, and will, rev high all day.
But nissannewby is right, the swap to efi is easy and cheap (especially if you have a mechanic you can trust). You can Pick up an injected RB30 fairly cheap with all the bits you need.

Micktroll
10th May 2012, 08:34 PM
does anyone have any idea roughly what costs id be looking at if i wanted to bore out the motor and whack a turbo on?? if thats possible? i dont really know to much about engines ...??

nissannewby
14th May 2012, 10:16 PM
If you shopped around you could probably get the efi and then throw a mild turbo setup on it for around 5-6k

GQ TANK
21st May 2012, 11:09 PM
With the carby motor have you removed the honey comb heater below the carby - it gives a little bit of extra go.

Also some guys remove or modifie the metal fuel "cup" director below the carby.

roon
21st July 2012, 10:08 PM
very simple you should fit 2'' steel spacer and on springs