PDA

View Full Version : Custom barwork laws, what is legal and whats not?

Richo460
30th March 2012, 03:24 PM
I am a boilermaker and petrol head, and am going to start making custom bars and trays for 4x4's. Mostly because i like doing it and it might be a good earner of beer money. I'm not sure if there is a good market for it where i live (Cairns) but i'm keen to get things started.
What i don't know is what is legal to do. I know there are issues with airbags and bullbars but i have no idea of what can be done. There are plenty of people out there making custom stuff in their sheds but i don't wanna make a bar for someone and get sued if they run over someone of smash into a bmw. If anyone has some info about engineering or compliancing i would love to hear it.
Cheers - Richo

:bananarock:If yhour going through hell...Keep going:trink13:

AB
30th March 2012, 08:06 PM
Hey mate, good luck with it all...

Here's a good thread to get you inspired with designs and some info = http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4496-The-GU-custom-barwork-inspiration-thread&highlight=compliant

In regards to legal issues, bullbars need to be made to Australian standards and especially any vehicle with airbags need to have the bars to be air bag compliant too.

Hopefully some others can get into more depth with this one mate.

Finly Owner
30th March 2012, 09:21 PM
And some side bags may be affected by rock sldersso these must be thought of too.

Tim

Nissoj
24th April 2012, 10:09 AM
There are no laws about bullbars in the country where I live: Bolivia. There are no dealers of bullbars either... We have to build them. I worry about the airbags. Does anyone know where I can find information on how to do them without compromising the airbag system?

Rossy7
25th April 2012, 05:43 AM
So how has your research gone Richo?