PDA

View Full Version : Scary Red Switch

Corski
29th March 2012, 06:23 PM
Hey,

I've recently bought a 1998 2.8TD GU with a few extras; dual batt, comressor, rear 12v/cig lighter.

I was familiarising myself with the dash buttons and I found a switch under the steering wheel (not the bonnet, fuel flap or steering adjust pulls). It is like a jet fighters missile launch, bright red flip over cover and then a on/off little metal flick switch under.

What does this do?

I'm a little scard to flick it in case it's an ejector seat or something (I mean will do something bad to the car)

On a lesser concern as there is no big red cover, on the dash to left of steering wheel I've got 2 switches, one is for the ARB air compressor, the other (left side) I'm not sure? It isn't the duel batt, that is down to the left of the gear stick, similar to the cig lighter.

Thanks

Corey

97_gq_lwb
29th March 2012, 06:25 PM
That's the nitrous button strap yourself in hit the button and watch the rods come flying out of the block lol

Maxhead
29th March 2012, 06:27 PM
No idea mate, does it look original or after market? Poor man's immobilizer, fuel cut-off, rocket launcher....lol

97_gq_lwb
29th March 2012, 06:32 PM
Really the only way to tell is trace it back to whatever it's wired into.

taslucas
29th March 2012, 06:44 PM
Maybe the switch next to the air comp is a locker switch?

As for the other.....no idea! Push the button!

tappn it

Winnie
29th March 2012, 06:48 PM
My guess is a fuel cut-off.

Ben-e-boy
29th March 2012, 08:55 PM
I hate to be the applier of peer pressure but FLICK THE SWITCH lmao you can always switch it back

you neva eva know if you neva hava go

97_gq_lwb
29th March 2012, 09:01 PM
Have to agree flick it i would have already.

gec
29th March 2012, 09:06 PM
Mate, It definitely aint a factory switch, the only way you'll know is either to trace it or try it, If ya try it first video it for the rest of us to watch. :blowup:

NissanGQ4.2
29th March 2012, 09:07 PM
that would have 2 be the nitro switch, I wouldn't of even asked the question.........I'm another flick the switch kinda guy

Now if something blows up after flicking the switch....................................come back and ask questions

Yendor
29th March 2012, 09:25 PM
Well, if we are going to guess then....I think it for linking the dual batteries together for emergency starting.

growler2058
29th March 2012, 09:29 PM
:smileyvault-cute-bi FLICK IT FlICK ITFLIcK iT!!!

Clunk
29th March 2012, 09:41 PM
It's for the auto pilot.......Airplane (The Movie) style

Trolatron
29th March 2012, 10:16 PM
I think he flicked it....:blowup:

Bigrig
29th March 2012, 10:59 PM
They're called 'suicide switches' for a reason old mate!!! lmao

Might be a 'Get Smart' switch for a cone of silence or something??!!! lol

Yep, trace the wiring is the go ... or flick it at 100Klms per hour and find out if it's anything 'breakable'!! lol

taslucas
30th March 2012, 08:21 AM
Haha. We are a deviant bunch....."flick it and see what happens" seems to be the general consensus.
I say make sure your filming it then flick it!

Do it

Dooooo iiiiittttt!

tappn it

lachiek
30th March 2012, 09:43 AM
Haha, flick it man!
Definitely video the result - wish I was when we removed the flaming air horn compressor that shorted from the 'flick it approach' testing my mates new shorty!

In that position I reckon it's gonna be a master off switch for the spotties or fuel cut.

Just flick the bloody thing already!

97_gq_lwb
30th March 2012, 12:51 PM
:clownredpuff:I bought a mitsubishi express van once and on the way home decided to flick switches whilst waiting in macdonalds drive through.
It died i switched the lpg open whilst it still had a full carb of petrol and it flooded stalled and wouldn't start lol.
Ended up being a push through and a 20 minute wait before trying to start it again and off she went.

teno45
30th March 2012, 01:24 PM
I've got a number of these type of switches down in the shed that were... eh... left overs from work. Genuine aircraft red cages switches. Was planning on putting them in the troll, but at the moment, Im struggling to drill into its nice tidy interior!!!

FLICK IT!

Kelvinator
31st March 2012, 02:40 AM
Could be a fancy gearbox lockup solenoid, so flick it at 100km/hr to shear it off so it doest cause future problems.

FLICK IT!

MC97GQ
31st March 2012, 03:03 AM
:clownredpuff:I bought a mitsubishi express van once and on the way home decided to flick switches whilst waiting in macdonalds drive through.
It died i switched the lpg open whilst it still had a full carb of petrol and it flooded stalled and wouldn't start lol.
Ended up being a push through and a 20 minute wait before trying to start it again and off she went.

Yeah I really need to know, mate did you get your Maccas order.

FLICK THE DAMN SWITCH

97_gq_lwb
31st March 2012, 09:19 AM
Of course had to do something whilst waiting lol .
Why not eat plasti burgers

bar1135
1st April 2012, 06:28 PM
Paint it green and flick it already

Jock
2nd April 2012, 04:51 AM
Did you flick ?

oncedisturbed
2nd April 2012, 07:34 AM
no tic tic boom?

Robo
2nd April 2012, 11:19 AM
Get yourself a label made up.
Ejector Seat.

Biscuits
2nd April 2012, 05:55 PM
Obviously he flicked it... and hasn't been able to post here since, wonder if the parachute failed on the ejector seat, or if it blew something up?

Crusher_AU
2nd April 2012, 06:11 PM
Warp Drive --- Engage
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/04/4.jpg

timbar
2nd April 2012, 06:18 PM
Cmon flick it we are all waiting! !!!!!!!

Parra
2nd April 2012, 07:07 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to raise my beer in memory of Corski. May you rest in peace, you switch flicker you.

Biscuits
2nd April 2012, 07:31 PM
I'd just like to take this opportunity to raise my beer in memory of Corski. May you rest in peace, you switch flicker you.

Here here... looking back on things now... maybe he shouldn't have flicked the switch

taslucas
2nd April 2012, 07:50 PM
I guess we all played a part in Corski's demise. I'm sorry bro.......R.I.P.

tappn it

footsinperth
4th April 2012, 11:52 PM
Bugger read all that and he is no more.
We will miss him he was a really switched on chap

97_gq_lwb
5th April 2012, 07:33 AM
:bananarock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja8UnnIkwNs

Robo
5th April 2012, 01:01 PM
We have to much spare time don't we.
get out of the house long weekend here , yip eeeeeeeeeeeee.

taslucas
5th April 2012, 01:12 PM
We have to much spare time don't we.
get out of the house long weekend here , yip eeeeeeeeeeeee.

I am out of the house. Get tappa talk and you can dribble crap from anywhere!

tappn it

Corski
5th April 2012, 06:12 PM
OKay,

Sorry people I am still alive! Don't know why I'm apologising for that, I mean sorry for not replying.

I will prep the camera, I got one of those water, ice, dust, shock proof things so if all goes wrong I'll get my mate to retrieve and post it on here for your viewing pleasure.

ETA Monday.....

taslucas
5th April 2012, 08:47 PM
Lol good to hear mate. Maybe we can change the forum count down to coincide with the switch flick on monday

tappn it

Robo
6th April 2012, 02:22 AM
Happy Easter fellers.
Cheers

footsinperth
8th April 2012, 05:42 PM
Great idea for the count down

May the force be with you corski

Richard70au
9th April 2012, 06:16 PM
It is funny that you have said that as I just bought a 2000 GU11 a few days ago, it has a suspiscious red switch under the dash between the fuel and bonnet handles.

I am also a little concerned about pushing it, I did have the joke with my father about it being an ejection seat switch.

I will ring the guy I bought it from and ask, see if it is the same thing when corski flicks his.

teno45
9th April 2012, 06:40 PM
If and when I sell my Patrol, Im going to mount a nice switch somewhere slightly obscured and make a point of not telling the buyer what it does...

Richard70au
9th April 2012, 06:58 PM
And the money goes to "yendor", well in my case anyways. The switch is to swap over to the Aux battery if your main goes flat.

Cheers

Yendor
9th April 2012, 07:42 PM
And the money goes to "yendor", well in my case anyways. The switch is to swap over to the Aux battery if your main goes flat.

Cheers

LOL..........But I'm boring, you know glass half empty type of person.

I think the masses would rather hear something like, I flicked the switch and up popped this safe with $10,000 in it!!!!!! :clapping:

ansaha
28th April 2012, 09:13 AM
As they say trace the wire.
Cheers Andrew