PDA

View Full Version : clutch replacement

Deevo
29th March 2012, 02:09 PM
I have a 2006 GUiv wagon with a TD42 intercooled engine and I'm replacing the clutch this weekend. The manual says to remove the engine but I would have to hire an engine lifter plus remove all the plumbing and wiring etc. Some people say I can remove the gearbox and tx case as a unit while others say to remove the tx case first then the gearbox. I have a full size trolley jack and a large steel plate to weld onto it so I'm inclined to use the latter method. What does the forum think? Can anybody offer any tips or tricks in advance before I start? Thanks, Deevo.

97_gq_lwb
29th March 2012, 03:54 PM
I had a large jack with a plate i made up and used ratchet straps to tie it to the box and just putting it in without the engine in place was a mission.

Killametre
29th March 2012, 07:42 PM
The firewall is in the wrong place ha ha it makes it difficult th get the box in/out you need the engine just about resting the tappet cover on the firewall to give enough angle to get the box in/out. this can cause a bit uf undue stress on engine mounts/radiator hoses fan shroud etc so you must be carefull and the box and transfer are a big lump together to manage. My tip pay someone. If you must do it yourself leave the Xmember on for control of the box get some sucker to help you I find 2 commercial style trolley jacks the Go not those poxy little ones. I have been a mechanic for 20yrs and I recon that a patrol clutch is up there with the best of them for pian in the arse factor.

Cheers Andrew

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 01:01 PM
I would give it to the shop thye have all the right tools and if its someone that has done a few it will only cost you a couple of hundred on top of your clutch purchase price and the will have it done in a day.

nissannewby
30th March 2012, 01:04 PM
I have done it both ways (on a GQ though) and found removing the t/case made it easier to man handle into and out of place. Having the t/case on make it unbalanced due to it hanging off one side. If you do it yourself i would remove the t/case. Im not sure with the GU's but the casting for the starter motor mount makes it a little difficult to remve and install box but it can be done and with a good hand you should be able to easily have it done in a weekend.

HammerBuilder
1st April 2012, 12:19 PM
Yep good luck with this, it is easier with a hoist & tranny jack as I did in a mates workshop out & in easily in a day although if your engine needs an oil & coolant change you may as well do it the other way.

Anyway you'll have a busy weekend enjoy