PDA

View Full Version : Side Awnings ?? Recomendations

Killametre
27th March 2012, 10:40 PM
Looking for a side awning for the Troll I would prefer no ropes any feedback from owners would be good, I was looking at the supa peg product?
thanks in advance Andrew

big_fletch
27th March 2012, 10:45 PM
I have the ARB 2.5m Awning on my troll, can be set up quite easily without ropes. They are only needed for windy conditions and it is very stable

Maxhead
27th March 2012, 10:45 PM
Not sure what the supa dupa peg product is but most of the decent brands are made in the same factory, just with different names. The rope bit is not necessary but is very advisable if any wind is about

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2012, 11:17 PM
I have the 2.5 ARB on the side and their 1.2 across the back of my GUiV. Love It! Love It! Love it!

The great thing about the ARB is that the poles are integrated and not separate. When your setting it up they are all connected and swing straight out. I leave the ropes tied on to the corners and you only need to peg down if concerned about wind. It is self supporting and I LOVE IT!

No jokes here>>>> from a walk up, un zip, roll out, sitting on a chair under it can be done in less than 35 seconds with a second person to help (I timed it the SECOND TIME I SET IT UP!) really simple. It can be Packed up in less than 40 seconds ready to drive away.

5 STAR PRODUCT

nissannewby
28th March 2012, 12:09 AM
This is the stuff i like to hear have been looking at puttin an awning on my GU can get arb at a good price so think i might go down this path.

oncedisturbed
28th March 2012, 12:39 AM
i have the arb tourer 2.5 on mine and it is sweet, will be looking at a rear one later on

nowoolies
28th March 2012, 12:45 AM
ive got a rhinorack 2.5 mtr self support unit its got ropes and pegs if it gets to windy .
never used the ropes yet

bordertech
28th March 2012, 01:49 AM
Tie the legs down regardless of wind or not. You only need an ever so slight gust to flip it over the roof. trust me.

taslucas
28th March 2012, 07:54 AM
Another good one is the Fox Wing. Two mates have them and they look good. They pullout and wrap around to cover the rear aswell. Same as has been said above about the ropes, you only have to put them down if its a bit windy.

Kimberley Mob
28th March 2012, 11:02 AM
I have the ARB 2.5 off the side of mine and can't recommend it highly enough
Brilliant product and very easy to set up and pack away - which is always important to a lazy bugger like me!!!
Have had it for about 3 years and it's had a lot of use in that time with no complaints
Got caught once by a gust of wind that flipped it over before we pegged it, but luckily no damage

Lot's of them out there these days and can't say I've had much to do with any of the others so only praising the ARB one cause it's what I have

Would love a Foxwing but didn't know they existed when I bought mine and now find it hard to justify buying one when I already have a great product

Rip'n'Shred
28th March 2012, 11:54 AM
This thread is great because I'm also looking into one. Thankyou

Has any one got or had experience with the tigerz11 awning?

Stropp
28th March 2012, 12:13 PM
I too am looking at the batwing type of awning, arb one looks the best so far.

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2012, 01:19 PM
The problem with the Fox wing that i found when researching is that you have to carry the poles separately in a bag or tube on the roof. Not Great. They are big when out and you really need to swing it out fully every time which is not a bog deal really.

You really do need to put the poles up each time or risk the slightest wind flipping it over the top. They hinge or swing from 1 single pivot point that is fairly stressed and a weak point, if it flips and you smash that you are left with a big tarp you cant do much with.

The ARB one will suffer the same risk though and if your setting it up for longer than a lunch stop then pegging it down is recommended. I carry the pegs in the back drawers and the ropes stay tied permanently on so not a big deal.

I have ran a row of LEDs inside the awning too and plug it in to the point in the back door, i put a dimmer switch on them and at night in camp it is fantastic for ambient light. Great stuff.

It'll be on display at Loveday for sure. lol

taslucas
28th March 2012, 01:37 PM
Oooh a bit of mood lighting for loveday....or should I say lovenight!! Lmao.

As for the Foxwing poles, my mates put theirs in the same bag that the awning folds into...
We have talked about fitting some 75mm plumbing pipe with a screw cap to the roof racks to hold the poles.

tappn it

BEP120
28th March 2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Killametre,
I purchased a Rooftop Campers 2.5 meter side awning from Ebay for $245 delivered. This is a great awning at a fraction of the price of the big name brands. I have used it in all types of weather with no problems. Very easy to setup and pack up. You can use it without the separately supplied support ropes but if there is a gust of wind it could flip over the top of the car and cause some damage so I always use the ropes as insurance.
The awning comes with mounting brackets so all you need is either a cargo rack or two roof racks to mount the brackets to. This is now I did it before I got the cargo rack.
Paste the link below into your browser to see the awning on Ebay.

Hope this helps.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANUAL-RETRACTABLE-AWNING-2500-ROOF-TOP-TENT-ROOFTOP-/120875966101?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item1c24c4de95

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2012, 03:41 PM
Hi Killametre,
I purchased a Rooftop Campers 2.5 meter side awning from Ebay for $245 delivered. This is a great awning at a fraction of the price of the big name brands. I have used it in all types of weather with no problems. Very easy to setup and pack up. You can use it without the separately supplied support ropes but if there is a gust of wind it could flip over the top of the car and cause some damage so I always use the ropes as insurance.
The awning comes with mounting brackets so all you need is either a cargo rack or two roof racks to mount the brackets to. This is now I did it before I got the cargo rack.
Paste the link below into your browser to see the awning on Ebay.

Hope this helps.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANUAL-RETRACTABLE-AWNING-2500-ROOF-TOP-TENT-ROOFTOP-/120875966101?pt=AU_Tents&hash=item1c24c4de95

Hi BEP120, That looks basically the same as an ARB awning and likely a copy, which is fine. I paid less than $300 for my ARB one and paid $500 even for the 2.5m side and 1.2m rear awnings from ARB which i think is a great price and still have the ARB emblem on the side of the bag and the dealer network if the thing ever did take a hit. All good though.

The bag awning style is great.

macca
28th March 2012, 05:25 PM
I have ordered an awning from TigerII at $169 they look the same as Open Sky, ARB etc
BUT they are out of stock, coming from China???
2 months wait???
I made the blue of a PO Box and its taken an age to go through their system, so now I have to wait, mumble mumble mumble
Call them before you order

BEP120
28th March 2012, 07:04 PM
Hi BEP120, That looks basically the same as an ARB awning and likely a copy, which is fine. I paid less than $300 for my ARB one and paid $500 even for the 2.5m side and 1.2m rear awnings from ARB which i think is a great price and still have the ARB emblem on the side of the bag and the dealer network if the thing ever did take a hit. All good though.

The bag awning style is great.

Hey MudRunner. You got a good price from ARB. My local ARB reseller quoted around the $500 mark just for the side awning. Might be time to go somewhere else.
I just posted my rig in the members section one of the pics show it on the car. As you stated looks like a ARB copy. I would have prefered to go ARB but for the price difference I could by two for the price of the ARB one.
Anyway mine has been used heaps and is still going strong.

Cheers.

the evil twin
28th March 2012, 07:22 PM
No difference between most of them apart from the logo.

My Ironman 2.5 x 2.0 cost a shade over $200 as a Club special... hey I made a funny... shade over... awning... get it

For the straight awnings I recommend the 2.5 metre out by 2 metre wide. The extra 500mm out from the vehicle makes a lot of difference and the 2 metre length mounts better and neater to roof racks

MudRunnerTD
28th March 2012, 07:34 PM
No difference between most of them apart from the logo.

My Ironman 2.5 x 2.0 cost a shade over $200 as a Club special... hey I made a funny... shade over... awning... get it

For the straight awnings I recommend the 2.5 metre out by 2 metre wide. The extra 500mm out from the vehicle makes a lot of difference and the 2 metre length mounts better and neater to roof racks

Errrrrrrrr??? Ummmm? ET? Mate its only a funny when you dont have to walk us through it bud......:smileyvault-cute-bi

I agree the extra 500 out would be real nice but i am happy with 2.0 out and 2.5 wide. It sits behind the Nissan Snorkel head and is the perfect length for the side of the car.

the evil twin
28th March 2012, 07:50 PM
You Victorians have no sense of humour, man... and how would the Qld'rs get it if'n a Cockroach didn't explain it to them. If it was any more complicated I would have had to draw a cartoon. :icon_bonk:

Right, who have I missed in the insults :trink13:

Anyway back on topic, yeah, I see your point. Personal preference certainly. I just like the extra "out".

I think someone is doing a 2.5 x 2.5 now as well

Rosco
28th March 2012, 08:27 PM
I have a Ironman 2.5 and used it for a week camping at christmas time and was great. I also stuck a led strip light in it with a lead long enough to plug into a power supply at the front or the rear of the car and I carry a adaptor with alligator clips for direct connection to a battery.
I would always recommend using the ropes as it doesn't take much wind to lift it off the ground.
Like most people say it is easy to set up and the ropes stay on the poles which all fold up and I clip the pegs under the straps so the only thing I can leave behind is the hammer.

Killametre
29th March 2012, 08:21 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback

Cheers Andrew

belzi82
29th March 2012, 08:28 PM
I have a tigerz11 awning and it is great! Lucky for me the factory is just around the corner so called in and got one of the last ones!!

walkal
29th March 2012, 09:37 PM
I have the Black Widow side and rear awning. I have had a ironman rear awning but it was not the best, Found a black widow rear awning in Darwin and had it shipped to me. As I already had the side awning.
Yes you will say they are very pricey but you get what you pay for in my opinion.
The canvas provides heaps of shade and does not let light through so it works for me.
I just did not like the arb,foxing and ironman because I found the canvas to be very light in the canvas for me.
Each to your own and buy what you can afford and be happy with your purchase.

Wayne

frenzy
30th March 2012, 12:14 AM
Fox wing pivot point is very weak. Saw one lift up and snap off very easily. As pointed out by others, it's imperative that you tie it down.

Saw a really good one at the Brissy 4X4 show last weekend: "clevershade" made locally and much stronger. $940 for a batwing shape though. 3600x3600.

Didn't buy one as I had already done my dough on other stuff. Bit pricy too given the numbers quoted above.

bordertech
30th March 2012, 11:55 PM
I have ordered an awning from TigerII at $169 they look the same as Open Sky, ARB etc
BUT they are out of stock, coming from China???
2 months wait???
I made the blue of a PO Box and its taken an age to go through their system, so now I have to wait, mumble mumble mumble
Call them before you orderThey're all from China mate. Last 2 tigerz awnings I sold the bags filled up with water when it rained and couldn't escape because the zippers weren't on the bottom like they used to be. They said no use sending them back for replacement because all the ones they have are like that.

bordertech
30th March 2012, 11:58 PM
I just did not like the arb,foxing and ironman because I found the canvas to be very light in the canvas for me.
Each to your own and buy what you can afford and be happy with your purchase.

WayneThat's because they aren't real canvas and being thick ripstop it keeps them lightweight.

macca
31st March 2012, 08:10 AM
They're all from China mate. Last 2 tigerz awnings I sold the bags filled up with water when it rained and couldn't escape because the zippers weren't on the bottom like they used to be. They said no use sending them back for replacement because all the ones they have are like that.

Thanks for the heads up there, I will get the hole punch and put some small drain holes in the bag before I mount it. Not at all suprised at the source!!! So many of them look the same so there sure come out of the same factory.

Our present one is an open sky, the only bit that is in good condition is the "canvas" itself.
We have had it flip over the top and damage poles/spreaders, (gust caught me out without pegging down).
The bag is real sad after 6 years of pushing through the bush
The straps that hold it rolled up have disintegrated, like UV damage.
For the price to get 6 years is amazing really, we use it every time we camp and has been a good investment.

On the ute we had, it was on a freds arm that swung it around to the rear over the tailgate, that was a handy device.
http://www.bta4wd.com/category898_1.htm
Its up in the roof of the shed with all the other unused gear, might put it back in service one day if we get rid of the CC and get a wagon....
Cheers Macca

Rosco
31st March 2012, 05:01 PM
Saw one today get a little puff of wind under it and turned it nearly inside out. Bent the pin on the side pole so it was pack it away time.
Not a good sight to see 2 little kids under there having lunch with their dad and then screaming from the collapse.
So Always tie them down.

bordertech
31st March 2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up there, I will get the hole punch and put some small drain holes in the bag before I mount it. Not at all suprised at the source!!! So many of them look the same so there sure come out of the same factory.

Our present one is an open sky, the only bit that is in good condition is the "canvas" itself.
We have had it flip over the top and damage poles/spreaders, (gust caught me out without pegging down).
The bag is real sad after 6 years of pushing through the bush
The straps that hold it rolled up have disintegrated, like UV damage.
For the price to get 6 years is amazing really, we use it every time we camp and has been a good investment.

On the ute we had, it was on a freds arm that swung it around to the rear over the tailgate, that was a handy device.
http://www.bta4wd.com/category898_1.htm
Its up in the roof of the shed with all the other unused gear, might put it back in service one day if we get rid of the CC and get a wagon....
Cheers MaccaThe problem is that rain gets through the zipper and wets the 'canvas' which it shouldn't in the first place. Even though most of it will drain out through holes you make the awning will still be wet while rolled up and could go moldy. Put some water repellent on it when rolled out maybe?

Waza
30th April 2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the replies , I'm in the market too! Real experience counts !!!

Steve4wdin
8th August 2012, 09:16 PM
Can you get sides for them? If useing to sleep under it would be good to enclose one end!!!

Waza
3rd December 2012, 08:11 PM
Ibasetrading on eBay has a 2.5x3m awning delivered about $240. They also have fly screen and tent wall sides to fit. Mind should be her in a few days. This is the largest side awning I would fit to the GU & perfect to shelter from the rain when in the swag o/night.

frenzy
13th December 2012, 06:37 PM
Hey Waza! Got it yet? Review and pics please ;-)

threedogs
13th December 2012, 07:51 PM
Yes you can get different configurations to suit your needs, Please don't buy the TIGERZ awning, They are all reasonally priced my TJM 2.5 was $250 probably one of the
cheaper things you can buy for a 4x4. Like most others I've fitted some LED strip lighting the just plugs into rear of patrol. I also have an In-line dimmer to soften the light
as the night wears on, also fitted some red LED strip lighting as well They tell me good for night vision PSHT yeah right but not tested yet. I mounted mine on the RHS
as I don't think camps are LH or RH

barak34
4th February 2013, 09:48 PM
Folding arm awnings can be used for this case. It can fold and carry out to any where you wish. Awnings Melbourne (http://www.outdoordesignershade.com.au/awnings.html)

wouldnot
16th March 2013, 04:59 PM
I bought one, used it 2-3 times on a 5 month trip. Too much of a pain. Sold it.

Stropp
16th March 2013, 06:39 PM
Ok so after a bit of use my ridge rider from supercheap is ok I have found an excellent product Hannibal awning is very very strong and has NO poles to hold it up just uses the fold out arms, expensive but a great product, I will be buying one when I get some cash.

Clunk
16th March 2013, 06:45 PM
Ok so after a bit of use my ridge rider from supercheap is ok I have found an excellent product Hannibal awning is very very strong and has NO poles to hold it up just uses the fold out arms, expensive but a great product, I will be buying one when I get some cash.

Have you seen figjams?

What you tapin at!!!!!????

oncedisturbed
16th March 2013, 07:16 PM
I have an ARB awning which has survived 2 rigs so far and have just ordered the new Oztrail awning tent for from Ray's Outdoors for $200 and normally go for $269. Very new product and when I checked them out yesterday, they appear to be well made.

Compatible with most brands of awnings and runs sail track as well as a clip system to connect depending on which awning you have