PDA

View Full Version : Prepaid internet/mobile phones/skype

DX grunt
17th September 2010, 08:45 AM
Hey guys.

Our house has 2 mobile phones, a landline phone and landline internet. I'm thinking of dumping the landline house phone and internet and just using the mobiles and prepaid internet?

In much of regional WA, Telstra is the only carrier that will work.

Any good/improvable points you can suggest? This is not a 'bag the phone carrier' thread. I need to know if you're happy, are u happy with the deal you got, etc, etc, etc.

How does skype work? Are there any other people that provide the same service?

The more info I have, the more choices I have. Thanks in advance

Ross
DX grunt

patch697
17th September 2010, 08:53 AM
I too have the regional thig going on Ross & have tried a few different options & always end up back with Telstra. Thay may not have the best customer service in the game but the service that thay provide far surpass others for bag for your buck.

There not the cheapest but you get what you pay for & not a bag load of promises & sorrys cos thay cant deliver what thay said you were getting at a cheaper rate.

Just IMO.

Cheers
Paul

Maxhead
17th September 2010, 08:54 AM
The only suggestion I can add is you could have a mobile phon on a data plan and use it as a modem.

This could be a cheaper option.

Cheers

DX grunt
17th September 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks Paul

Yeah, I know where yr coming from. Had an issue with customer service, and after 2 years it was sorted and to their credit, we got a decent reduction in one of our bills. Mobile phone coverage in regional areas far surpasses anything the other carriers provide.

patch697
17th September 2010, 09:00 AM
The only suggestion I can add is you could have a mobile phon on a data plan and use it as a modem.

This could be a cheaper option.

Cheers

Pocket data is normally far more expensive than fixed line Kris, at least in my experience anyway.

DX grunt
17th September 2010, 09:03 AM
I'm gunna serve out my working career in the bush, then retire in my truck and go touring, so I guess Telstra is it. I just have to work out the best plan to suit my needs.

Maxhead
17th September 2010, 09:05 AM
Pocket data is normally far more expensive than fixed line Kris, at least in my experience anyway.

You're propably right Paul, I just thought data is data so it should cost the same but I could be wrong.

patch697
17th September 2010, 09:08 AM
You're propably right Paul, I just thought data is data so it should cost the same but I could be wrong.

Trust me it doesn't........... I have both. But your right it should....lol I know I'd be happier if it was......lolololol

AB
17th September 2010, 09:35 AM
Has anyone got that "BOB" thing???

DX grunt
17th September 2010, 09:38 AM
Has anyone got that "BOB" thing???

Nuh, but they're really flogging it on TV over here.

RustyNails
17th September 2010, 05:22 PM
Stay away from BOB, friends have it and hate BOB

Hey Ross, you gotta love Telstra, they gave birth to your truck.

Paul

NissanGQ4.2
17th September 2010, 07:19 PM
I always find the below forum good for things phone / internet related.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

Hope it can help you out

Cheers

Todd

AB
17th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Whirlpool is a great forum for help with anything.

I had a faulty hot water service and the help was great!

Finly Owner
17th September 2010, 09:06 PM
try southern phone Ross, they're aussie and cheaper than telstra but use same lines. I'm with them and always get human on phone.

DX grunt
18th September 2010, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into it.