PDA

View Full Version : What oil to use for LSD's

Goose
11th June 2010, 01:17 PM
As i mentioned in my intro, Iv'e upgraded to a GU and I'm going to spend a little bit of time doing the old GQ up to try and get some money back from new purchase.

Ive never changed the read diff oil before in this car and It's got LSD's.

Is 85w-140 still ok or do you need something else for the LSD's?

Do they take more oil, I think they normally take 2 litres?

AB
11th June 2010, 01:56 PM
Goose, no for LSD's you need the oil with the additive.

Danny
11th June 2010, 02:20 PM
Like what Andy said but you can also use 85w-140.

I only use 2 litres but the manual says 3.

Just fill her up until you can't fill no more Goose.

89GQ
11th June 2010, 08:55 PM
LSD needs 140W My 89 GQ states to use SAE 140 GL5 3L but you wont need 3l A good 1/2 to a litre stays on the gears.They need the higher weight oil for the preasure there under 80-90 dont cut it

mike
29th October 2010, 08:38 PM
ive always used straight 140 lsd oil in mine never had any probs and cured the shudders when i first got it

Cheers mike

BillsGU
1st November 2010, 11:03 AM
If you want to spend the money RED LINE oil is the way to go. It out performs all others. Also - if you get any water in it - you simply drain it into an old billy, put it on the fire, boil off the water, let it cool and put it back in the diff. Its so good you can even cook your chips in it!! (or so the rep told me?).

Mrowka
4th November 2010, 01:07 AM
If you want to spend the money RED LINE oil is the way to go....Its so good you can even cook your chips in it!! (or so the rep told me?).

Note to self: Do not try this.

BillsGU
4th November 2010, 05:02 PM
True story!! It is a palm oil thingy. You know - the trees that are wiping out the Amazon and destroying Indonesian islands, etc. Your local fish & chip shop probably uses a similar (not saying its exactly the same) sort of oil.

RustyNails
4th November 2010, 06:22 PM
And get yourself a decent oil pump to put it in, I ended up with arms like Arney after doing mine and the MIL's GU with the old hand pump.