PDA

View Full Version : Seized silver td42 rebuild or replace?

Gqtroll
27th March 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi guys

If you read my intro you'll know that I have a 90 gq ute with a seized motor
I have never really played around too much with engines and was after advice on wether i should have a go at rebuilding it myself or just swap it out for a reco.
Have extremely limited finds at the present.

Going to open her up this week and have a look fr myself what should I look for in terms of components to replace other than the obvious

Cheers Darcy

97_gq_lwb
27th March 2012, 12:56 PM
Really depends on why it seized.

Gqtroll
27th March 2012, 01:58 PM
Mechanic failed to do his job and fix oil leak and change oil ofcourse not entirely his fault I should have double checked but it apparently hasn't damaged block possibly broken crank bearings or piston I don't really know

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2012, 03:16 PM
Bugger mate, as 97 said, how long is a piece of string bud. crack her open and see what you find.

Good luck mate

nissannewby
27th March 2012, 07:20 PM
Rebuilding vs the cost of a crate motor are very similar. But as stated you could open her up to only find you have to change rings bearings and hone her out you wont really they the full extent until you open her up.

MudRunnerTD
27th March 2012, 09:25 PM
You might also look around for a second hand engine from a wrecker, the TD42 is a great motor mate, you may well get a second handie for $2000 or less if you look around a bit.

Good luck bud

nissannewby
28th March 2012, 12:24 AM
Where abouts are you located gqtroll?

Gqtroll
28th March 2012, 04:23 AM
Pulled it open this arvo. Has seized on sixth piston(closest to firewall) couldn't get crank out yet to see if I could drop pistons out. Seems to be pretty oily on the others but dy as a bone on that one seems to be at bottom too hopeful that it hasn't done much damage to bore and I can get away with new crank and piston assy. Oh and a good clean out. I've been struggling to find an engine for as cheap as I would like been quoted between 3250 and 4500 for reco engine and as yet haven't found one that hasn't been recoed obviously prefer a reco but budget atm won't really allow for it.

I'm located down in Vic mate northeast of melb

Most ppl I've spoken to about it said that I might get away with using a rebuild kit at around 1500 and new injectors but I really have no idea where to start. Have left the sump off to try and let oil clear off a bit. It is like clag and I only changed it maybe 4000 k ago I think It may have been old oil that stuck and change only made it worse

Gqtroll
28th March 2012, 04:23 AM
Really got to work on shortening my ramblings :)

97_gq_lwb
28th March 2012, 09:45 AM
The rebuild kits i have seen come with new sleeves so as long as you don't have bent rods or a buggered crank that would be my choice.
At least that way your not taking a gamble on a second hand motor and you know what you have.

Gqtroll
28th March 2012, 05:01 PM
Does engine come with sleeves factory or are they o pad out after boring. I really don't know much about engines yet this rebuild is my learning process

MC97GQ
28th March 2012, 09:00 PM
Gqtroll,

It all depends on how quick you need your truck on the road, DO NOT get rid of the silver top, If your need your truck up and running get a cheap motor to swap out and rebuild the silver top as a spare.

If you are not in a hurry, rebuild the silver top as per the threads on this forum.

the silver top from all accounts is a great motor, allegedly way better than a black top.

But that is an argument for another forum and another thread.

Mark

nissannewby
29th March 2012, 12:05 AM
If your going to go the extent or replacing the bores you will need machining work done (block and head etc) i would also be getting the block acid bathed while it is completely bare (liners out etc) if its just one piston make sure the rod isnt bent and the squirter isnt blocked and is in good condition. Then just follow the procedures in the manuals and from professionals and you should be sweet.

Tweakedoffroad
29th March 2012, 12:49 AM
Sorry mate I cant help here all the stuff I have done is from asking a lot of questions and reading manuals never had internet back then just know if I pull it apart I can put it back together.
It my be an idea to get some pics along the way as to allow those that dont know and others watching be able to keep an eye on the bits and peices etc. along the way

Gqtroll
30th March 2012, 12:06 PM
All pistons are not actually seized I cooked the crank and bearings pistons are still freely moving and seem in good enough condition. Mate of mine reckons I'll just need a new crank and bearings. And a good clean. So until I cab get new parts I'm going to pull while engine apart and give it a good clean I think.