PDA

View Full Version : very annoying fuel filter on GU

Malgreen
27th March 2012, 12:11 AM
my 08 3ltr crd has a very annoying fuel filter, the warning light came on one day so i had a look at how to drain the filter... well what a stupid design this is, the side that the drain pipe is on you cant get your had to due to many pipes in the way and yet if i could turn the filter 180 degrees around i can easily access the drain tap,,,, in the end i undid the bracket holding the entire assembly so i could lift it to get to the tap....
NOW... i would like to know..
can the filter be replaced by an after market one or should i put a water trap filter in before the factory filter???
putting a pre filter in causes another problem,, where to put it???
so please any help would be great, thank you

AB
27th March 2012, 11:59 AM
Hi mate, have a read of this thread below which should help you with the pre filtering...
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?9657-Water-in-diesel-prevention&highlight=fuel+filter

schanmala
3rd October 2013, 10:23 AM
Hi Guys,

Old dig up. Has anyone figured out an easy way the drain the water on a CRD? As described by Malgreen the drain knob seems to be on the wrong side and hard to get to.

Cheers,
Scott

my 08 3ltr crd has a very annoying fuel filter, the warning light came on one day so i had a look at how to drain the filter... well what a stupid design this is, the side that the drain pipe is on you cant get your had to due to many pipes in the way and yet if i could turn the filter 180 degrees around i can easily access the drain tap,,,, in the end i undid the bracket holding the entire assembly so i could lift it to get to the tap....
NOW... i would like to know..
can the filter be replaced by an after market one or should i put a water trap filter in before the factory filter???
putting a pre filter in causes another problem,, where to put it???
so please any help would be great, thank you

my third 256
4th October 2013, 08:40 AM
could try this filter
http://hiflo.com.au/docs/101008A%20filtration.pdf

schanmala
4th October 2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks my third,

I have read that Genuine filters are the way to go, or an additional filter as long as you have a lift pump to assist the injector pump. Or even a "water watch" system that doesn't effect flow
I managed to drain the fuel filter by:

- undoing the 2 bolts holding the fuel filter bracket
- lift filter slightly and slide small hand around to undo tap
- press primer to push water/fuel out the drain hose

Remember to tilt the filter towards the tap when draining to get rid of all the water as per the Nissan Learning academy document.
I didn't need to undo anything else.

Cheers,
Scott

Col.T
5th October 2013, 08:04 PM
G'day team,
welcome to the 21st century.
What used to be a simple procedure to drain water from the fuel filter is now a mongrel job.
On my old TD4.2 the filter hung off the fire wall and was easily accessible but now on the up to date 3.0CRD the bast**d's buried in the guts.
Bad luck, Schana, what you've worked out is what we've all now got.
Good news is that there's not now a lot of fuel loads that include water
With luck, you'll only need to service the fuel filter at major services.
Ckheers
Col

Malgreen
30th November 2013, 12:29 AM
oh just an up date on this.. my mechanic was able to turn the hole assembly slight to allow access to tap.... still a bugger of a job tho.