PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft position sensor.....faulty (zd30 crd.. 2008 )

Col.T
26th March 2012, 09:02 PM
Engine light came on (Friday) indicating a fault. Booked in at Nissan dealer (after long weekend) for diagnosis. Light went out on Monday (or stopped showing) .Dealer did diag. check Tuesday with result "camshaft position sensor faulty, requires replacement".
Wagon is running well although feels a bit down on grunt but that may be imagination. I presume if the computer is missing info. re TDC or whatever, it must be running the engine on some sort of default setting otherwise it would presumably simply shut down. Either that or the problem has gone but that would infer the dealer was pulling my leg and I doubt that.

Quote for the sensor $150.00 with labour $120.00.

Any ideas out there about what's the problem and possible fixes? Why did the 'error' light go off with no fix? Does it automativally go off after a set time?
What's the meaning of life????

Thanks for your thoughts
Col.

45/70
26th March 2012, 11:19 PM
Cam or crankshaft?

Col.T
27th March 2012, 09:24 AM
Good day Ballarat
According to te printed report, the camshaft.
I noticed in the manual some refernce to the crankshaft position sensor and wondered whether the timing chain connection between the two effectively meant they used the two terms equally. Seemed strange thiough.
I'm having trouble downloading the last two manual supplements covering the CRD model and I therefore may be missing something vital.
Thanks for the assistance
Col.

Robo
28th March 2012, 01:05 PM
These things only send data to ecu.
so unless cam shaft is broken or bent, not likely.
An simple electronic fault.
Bit weird this part failing so young.
Could even be just a dirty connection.
Been doing any work on it, that you may of accidently knocked a elec plug a bit.
Not a bad price, seen alot dearer.
Then again maybe just bad part these thing happen.

Col.T
29th March 2012, 11:42 AM
Robo,
thanks for that.
Haven't touched under the bonnet in any way to cause mischief since the last service I did. As I don't know where the sensor is I can't trace leads etc. back anyway.
Any suggestions there?
Also, do you know what are the short/long term implications of delaying a fix?
Again, thanks
Col

BearGUST
29th March 2012, 02:21 PM
Pretty common for a sensor like this to fail intermittantly, the light might stay on for a certain amount of ignition cycles after that fault.
There's no way of telling how often it will play up again, if at all. The engine shouldn't shut down as (like you said) it can run off the crank sensor, it may just eliminate a few different modes - for example, cars that I've played with will still run without a cam sensor signal but won't have 'sequential injection' mode.

Robo
29th March 2012, 02:51 PM
Robo,
thanks for that.
Haven't touched under the bonnet in any way to cause mischief since the last service I did. As I don't know where the sensor is I can't trace leads etc. back anyway.
Any suggestions there?
Also, do you know what are the short/long term implications of delaying a fix?
Again, thanks
Col

poor fuel consumption figures.
power should be down.
incorrect timing
lots of things, get fix asap

Col.T
30th March 2012, 10:20 AM
Beargust, Robbo ,
thanks for those replies.
Don't you just love the 21st. Century. Totally electronic and you get to spend 300 bucks and not even have a clue why? Far out!
Col.

Robo
30th March 2012, 04:14 PM
Prefer the here and now.
yeah it makes you think but that shows your alive and kick-en.

Col.T
3rd April 2012, 04:10 PM
Robo
been a few days but what the !!
I've got the on line manual which I've used a lot but not sure where the cam. sensor appears.
Any chance you can refer me to the appropriate section / page? No biggie but wouldn't mind having a look before I go back to Nissan.
Thanks again
Col

Robo
4th April 2012, 04:06 AM
No sorry don't have the manual to quote a page.

Nissan gen manuals can have a descriptive/picture page for the layout of such stuff in their manuals.

Col.T
6th April 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks anyway mate
Col

Robo
7th April 2012, 11:09 AM
Hope this helps.
Best I could find with what I have.
Happy Easter.
Drive safe.
Robo.

left click pic to enlarge

savagedwarf
11th April 2012, 02:38 PM
i had the same engine malfunction light come on. spoke to a mate with the same model (2007 crd 3.0) and he had the exact same thing happen. went to nissan to go on diagnostics. crank shaft sensor....quoted $180 for sensor.. i just told them to reset the warning light, as i have not noticed anything unusual as far as performance or fuel economy. so far so good!! my mate has done the exact same thing.... i can see a pattern here!
hope this helps

eric
11th April 2012, 09:29 PM
i have had mine reset 3 times i have an 07 model . hasn't come on for 18 months now ,keep my fingers crossed :)

Col.T
15th April 2012, 09:10 AM
Robbo,
thanks again . Where's the diag. from? Don't think I've seen it in the manual but I spend a lot of time looking in all the wrong places.
Somebody sang that once didn't they?
Col

patrol2.8
12th November 2012, 02:09 PM
Quoted 380.00 for a 2.8 cam sensor and all it seems to control is the tacho? other than it jumping up and down car runs perfectly

my third 256
13th November 2012, 01:28 AM
i had the same engine malfunction light come on. spoke to a mate with the same model (2007 crd 3.0) and he had the exact same thing happen. went to nissan to go on diagnostics. crank shaft sensor....quoted $180 for sensor.. i just told them to reset the warning light, as i have not noticed anything unusual as far as performance or fuel economy. so far so good!! my mate has done the exact same thing.... i can see a pattern here!
hope this helps

i have had mine reset 3 times i have an 07 model . hasn't come on for 18 months now ,keep my fingers crossed :)
get yourselves anultragauge or scan gauge then you can read the faults and also clear them and not have to pay mr nissan
that is what i have done

BearGUST
13th November 2012, 10:39 AM
Quoted 380.00 for a 2.8 cam sensor and all it seems to control is the tacho? other than it jumping up and down car runs perfectly

I'd be very surprised if that's all it did... Often you'll have a crank sensor and a cam sensor that cross reference each other, if one fails the engine can still run but not in certain modes.

patrol2.8
13th November 2012, 01:52 PM
I'd be very surprised if that's all it did... Often you'll have a crank sensor and a cam sensor that cross reference each other, if one fails the engine can still run but not in certain modes.
Thats what i thought but when the tacho bounces it throws out the cam position centre code (ecutalk) car runs as normal only other thing ive noticed is it gets a bit more fuel when the tacho bounces

batesy
2nd December 2012, 08:20 PM
Hi it will be the cam position sensor, just did mine 07 crd light has'nt been on since was hard to start when light was on. Just fit it yourself takes 5 mins right at the front of the head 1 10mm bolt & 1 plug that is it dont pay $120 labor.

robophil
24th October 2013, 03:27 PM
Some helpful info here as my 2009 crd ute has thrown an engine light on a few times as well. The first three happened evenly spaced over 6 months and were the crank angle sensor. Now im getting Camshaft position sensor and the car is a bit harder to start (cranks over a bit longer before firing). I use the Torque App for android with the bluetooth OBD2 adapter for scanning and clearing faults from my ecu. Recently the fault seems to be reappearing both times i have driven it so will try a new sensor. Sounds like an easy fix reading batesy's post. Will give it a go.

Col.T
30th October 2013, 07:43 PM
G'day all
as a possible last entry, Robbo's diag was top. Trouble was I'd already set a date with Mr. Nissan. Job would have been a pushover but until the diag. I didn't know what it looked like or where it was.
Third man's idea of the diag, tool is good EXCEPT ( and this may just be for little chicken me ) if I know the number, ignore it , reset it and happily rock on, I'd maybe spend the next three months up some out back creek wondering just exactly what I had ignored and if maybe I was about to find out.
Do like the idea of being able to read/understand (maybe) the codes though.
Anyway, all done and all now good.
Thanks all
Col

Lozwestoz
28th January 2014, 02:39 AM
I've got a 2007 CRD and had the error light come on when fairly new (under a year) - they cleared it, said there was no trouble etc and off I went. Now it keeps coming on and going off - I bought a scan-tool thingy, read the code (P 0340 'cam position sensor'), asked a few questions of mechanics and erased it. Nissan reckons I must have 'over-cranked' it at some time?? what that means I do not know as I have never had a flat battery or any other sort of trouble. When they want 50 to 100 bucks just to read it and erase it, I spent under that and bought the reader.
Recently I decided to replace the sensor for the same reasons as Col.T mentions but they put a new one in and the car would not start - sounded like a petrol with the plug-wires around the wrong way - scary, they then tried a second new one and the car would not start again so they put the old one back in and I am back on the road again.
Not sure about that one and am going to have to get a proper diagnisis, methinks.
However the car is still running along nicely so I don't have a clue - but by the comments of others, this is not an isolated problem so Nissan knows about it but wont tell us how to over come it which is a shame.

BillsGU
28th January 2014, 09:10 AM
The Nissan Pulsar had this problem some years ago - which resulted in a recall. Pulsars (ours was one) would just stop at times and be fine afterwards - until next time. If yours has a problem fix it now. $300 does not go far when you are stuck in the middle of nowhere and need to be recovered and towed.

Bacho86
3rd October 2017, 04:49 PM
Hi all,

Wife was driving the patrol yesterday and experienced a check engine light. Checking with the EDS revealed an error code P0340 - quick google revealed this was related to camshaft position sensor. Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

I'm going to do a basic check of the wiring connections etc but just in case @Mudksi are you able to source this part and how much?

Bacho86
5th October 2017, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

Wife was driving the patrol yesterday and experienced a check engine light. Checking with the EDS revealed an error code P0340 - quick google revealed this was related to camshaft position sensor. Does anyone have any recent experience with this?

I'm going to do a basic check of the wiring connections etc but just in case @Mudksi are you able to source this part and how much?

Anyone able to provide any feedback or advice on this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRAWesty
5th October 2017, 11:33 PM
Anyone able to provide any feedback or advice on this? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI have read of a couple going.
From reading it's mounted front of engine somewhere..
Expensive unfortunately..