PDA

View Full Version : A/C Air flow

reactbob
25th March 2012, 10:24 PM
I have just bought a 97 GQ patrol just turned on airconditioner and it has a pitifull air flow is this normal or do I have a problem, thanks.

regards bob

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2012, 10:25 PM
No mate you should have reasonable air flow, are all the vents the same? how does the fan sound? Weak or strong?

reactbob
25th March 2012, 10:31 PM
All vents are the same fan sounds like it is working alright. I just upgraded from MQ to a GQ and the MQ fan was crap I thought the GQ might be a bit better.

Regards Bob

Yendor
25th March 2012, 11:27 PM
The A/C evaporator can become filled with dirt and gunk, this can restrict air flow.

Also the seals that seal the evaporator box to the ventilation system can break down allowing air to escape.

Robo
2nd April 2012, 10:54 AM
The mq was an easy fix gq abit harder to get at to clean junk off cooler.
Good luck.
Was thinking of cutting a door to get at mine.
They really need a removable filter screen.
Ebay has new coolers for decent prices but getting it swapped out is a different story.

Protius
2nd April 2012, 01:07 PM
Super common problem. If you want the BEST airflow, take it to an a/c place and get the evaporator removed and cleaned fully, garuntee you won't get better airflow. Also suseptible to leaks because of the gunk build up

Robo
2nd April 2012, 04:11 PM
Super common problem. If you want the BEST airflow, take it to an a/c place and get the evaporator removed and cleaned fully, garuntee you won't get better airflow. Also suseptible to leaks because of the gunk build up

Have you done this, how much was it?
I've spoken with a couple of a/c guys, I could literally see the dollars rolling in their eyes.
I'm not joking.

ReefMagnet
2nd April 2012, 04:56 PM
You can split the unit easily just in front of the core in the passenger footwell. I got at mine when it was clogged and hit it with the gerny - not as messy as it first sounds and problem solved. The same joint you split to get access is also the one that leaks air, so a bit of foam sealing tape and finished off with gaffa tape and you are done.

ripper
6th April 2012, 05:37 PM
The A/C evaporator can become filled with dirt and gunk, this can restrict air flow.

Also the seals that seal the evaporator box to the ventilation system can break down allowing air to escape.

Not directed at you Yendor, just an addition to your comments.

We had this problem when we first got our GQ.
Here's a step by step fix for any who need it.
Fixed our noisy AC/Heater fan and leaky duct work. (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1945-Fixed-our-noisy-AC-Heater-fan-and-leaky-duct-work.)