PDA

View Full Version : Rear quarter panel rust.

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 10:28 PM
Does any one know if you can get another rear quarter panel made in aluminium so it won't rust?

If so anyone know of a place to buy them from?

Cheers.

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2012, 11:03 PM
hey mate,

if your talking about a GQ then it is really common ti cut the bottom of the rear quarters of to improve departure and limit further damage

tmijnhout
25th March 2012, 11:25 PM
This is for the rear quarter panel with the sliding window. It has rust on the frame. I am talking about a GQ.

MudRunnerTD
25th March 2012, 11:28 PM
The frames are notorious for rust. You can buy a full replacement frame and glass. There is a company that has started making n aluminium frame instead to deal with the rust. Or Like many. go solid glass and get rid of then completely

I still have sliders and like the access they provide but plenty go solid glass.

Antznz
4th June 2012, 10:12 AM
Is there an easy way of getting the old windows out without breaking them. I've got rust in both sills and am hoping not to spend thousands getting it fixed.

Silver
4th June 2012, 10:55 AM
the rubber surround for the GQ sliders is seperate from the body, and yes, it is easy enough to replace them - my wife and I did Silver's.

I don't know what they cost in N2

If you search on here you'll find some useful how to instructions. I typed replace window rubber and got hits including this one;

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/archive/index.php/t-1936.html&sa=U&ei=LgHMT_HlJoufiQf7prznBg&ved=0CAcQFjAB&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNF3fWzdV0_bBB7w7QRUD0xFKjebIg

It may not have all the info you'd like, but it contains the instructions I followed to replace mine. I used the venetian blind cord method to reseat the new rubber into the opening in the body.

Antznz
5th June 2012, 10:52 PM
Did you use new rubbers as well. I see they are about $100 AUS (each I'm assuming). Might just have to pour some rust kill in the sills until I find some loose change (in the wifes handbag)

Silver
6th June 2012, 01:27 AM
the rubber is moulded around the steel frame I think - anyway, it all comes in one piece.

Not saying that there is never rust in the body under the rubber, but the rust that causes the rubber to bubble and that leaves stains down the side of the body is in those steel frames encased in the rubber.

$100 each is a lot less than I paid after looking around a year or so ago for the rubber surrounds for GQ sliding windows. I assume we are talking new.

Antznz
6th June 2012, 12:02 PM
Yes $100 new. I think a person in NZ make replacement metal frames. Not sure of cost but might be able to do it myself in the summer when I can afford to have the windows out for a few days

Silver
6th June 2012, 03:55 PM
It is a 1 hr job maybe less, maybe more, but short, to replace the sliding window surrounds, both sides, assuming the body work itself has no rust etc

missingdna
6th June 2012, 09:40 PM
ozautomoulds dot com dot au are a windscreen rubber/mould/tool supplier that now supplies nissan patrol gq/mq long wheel base aluminium framed window and rubber pre assembled. Short wheel base is available july 2012. Im not sure if this is on their website but it is in their 2012 catalogue that im reading from.
hope this helps

frankie

Antznz
7th June 2012, 06:59 PM
Cheers for that. I'll drop them a line to see if they'll send over the Tazie