PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Bribie (Nearly a disaster)

myzathreeby
25th March 2012, 10:12 PM
Took a day trip to Bribie Island today
The trip is generally organised to start at Woorim at the south eastern corner of Bribie, travel up the beach and then take the inland track to back to WhitePatch.
Unfortunately then inland track was flooded so we new we would have to come back the same way.
We nearly had a catastrophe.
On the way up there were 3 deep water crossings, There are 3 lagoons behind the Dunes and because of the recent rains they were all flowing out with fairly deep water.
The idea is to make the crossings at low tide, or up to 2 hours each side it. The water spreads out near the surf and makes it easier to cross.
We were nearly 3 hours after low tide when we got to the first lagoon ( The Newsagent in Woorim, where we got the permits doesn't open until 6.30 am).
I was in the GU Trol and my son Dave was in a Jeep (with a winch thank God)
On the way up it was fun,
We agreed I would go first and if I Bogged he could winch me back out.
In the Event, We got through mostly OK but Dave got bogged in one, and I acted as an anchor so he could pull himself out.
We had a good time with the kids, bit of fishing and then set off to come back
The tide was going out so we didn't anticipate any dramas.
Dave got stuck in the same (North) crossing and he winched himself out again using the Trol as an anchor.
I was feeling good as the Trol was performing brilliantly.
On the next Crossing. the tide was going out so I decided, impulsively, to cross near the surf instead of going across the deeper channel.
It was a crooked double channel exit to the sea and the water looked shallow.
I crossed the first channel easily on to a recently exposed sand bank and headed for the next, As I approached I thought it looked a bit deeper so I thought I should get a bit more momentum. I stopped and backed up to get a run. BIG MISTAKE..
The Sand was still wet and the Trol bogged immediately, and judging by the complete lack of traction I knew I wasn't going anywhere.
Dave had pulled up on the other side of the channel I had just crossed. So we immediately got the winch wound out and hooked up.
He tried to pull me out, but the Car wouldn't budge, the winch was just pulling Dave across the sand
Another Bloke pulled up and offered to help. ( He was a regular)
It was then that The Bloke asked if the car engine was still running. I said it was.... SECOND BIG MISTAKE. The vibration of the diesel shakes the car and causes it to settle in the wet sand twice as fast.... lesson learned.
By this time the Car was sitting on the side steps and the wheels below the hubs.
I was digging like mad to clear the wheel and my Grandson was amazing, good job we had 2 shovels.

The local had some good recovery gear and hooked up to the other side of Dave's Jeep to give some extra anchorage.
It seemed to take forever to get rigged up and the my Trol was looking well and truly bogged by then. I was thinking of other cars I had seen bogged like this. and had never been retrieved.
My mouth was dry as fear set in and I was thinking the worst.

The Bloke said, don't worry, "it'll come out". I didn't share his optimism, but it was encouraging.
Finally the rigs were ready, The winch wire was fully extended across the channel.
Dave started up the winch and took the weight,. Daves car was anchored with the Brakes on, and the local was pulling on the other end and trying to hold him from sliding.

We had been digging madly but the odd wave was still washing in and the drivers door was catching on the sand. I jumped in, put her into low and gave the engine a few revs to help as much as poss.
I thought, to myself " this isn't going to budge" there is too much weight sitting on the sand.

I could here the winch groaning and jerking as the coils snapped into place on the drum. Then... It started to move, then stopped. Oh no!! then it moved again, and again in jerks. The local had his wheels spinning as he held on to Dave Jeep. Slowly but surely she came out of the bog and on to harder sand. WHAT A BLOODY RELIEF.. :thumbup:
I jumped out to unhook the winch and guess what, Yep, I switched off the engine, Biggest lesson ever learned.

lessons learned:
Don't be impulsive, thinking a Patrol will get you through anything.
Accept responsibility, It was not the Patrol's fault.
Don't stop in wet sand, that the whole idea of the automatic, you can keep going.
Remember the rule, Floatation and momentum in sand
Turn off the engine when bogged in wet sand.
Accept help humbly and gratefully'

I didn't even get the blokes name, Shook his hand, His truck said he was a painter. Thanks mate.
And Thanks Dave and my grandson Shaye.
Good job fitting the winch.

Needless to say, despite the dramas, It was a great day and we have all got something to talk about.
If this little story helps stop someone else making the same mistakes it will be worth it
Cheers.

hekarewe
25th March 2012, 10:30 PM
i was out at bribie a few weeks ago and was looking at he beach almost went for an impulsive drive up the beach but didnt as i didnt have my recoveryu gear in the truck after reading this i am glad common cense prevailed that day

and good to hear that after all that you had a positive out come.

Bigrig
26th March 2012, 11:27 AM
Too write up mate and glad all ended well for you!!

frenzy
26th March 2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks for sharing mate.

Finly Owner
26th March 2012, 11:47 PM
What no pics? hahahahahahahahah! Glad you and all people amd vehicles made it tho!

Tim

04OFF
27th March 2012, 12:07 AM
Well written story mate, glad you got away with it, ive seen a few cars towed off Bribie after some of those crossings.

Ive added some pics of the Second Lagoon crossing, to give those who have not been to Bribie, some sort of idea about where you were......

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribewash.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/Bribiewash2.jpg

nowoolies
27th March 2012, 12:10 AM
piccies we luv piccies
so where are they ????? lol

myzathreeby
27th March 2012, 08:39 AM
They are all videos, We are just making a movie , will post as soon as ready

myzathreeby
29th March 2012, 08:44 PM
Finally got the video sorted, Used Cyberlink power director 9
Good program but can't help the wind noise
Sorry we missed the best bit when the car climbed out of the bog, but it was all hands on deck.

In retrospect we could have buried a spare wheel in the sand and used that as an anchor
I guess that comes with experience
Cheers .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f03I9yO3Iw

BEP120
30th March 2012, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear that you made it out safety. These situations get the heart going. Good advice about turning the engine off.

growler2058
30th March 2012, 11:25 AM
Finally got the video sorted, Used Cyberlink power director 9
Good program but can't help the wind noise
Sorry we missed the best bit when the car climbed out of the bog, but it was all hands on deck.

In retrospect we could have buried a spare wheel in the sand and used that as an anchor
I guess that comes with experience
Cheers .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f03I9yO3Iw

Phew that was lookin grim for a while there!!

Warnie
30th March 2012, 03:22 PM
Very lucky, I love that someone is still genuine enough to stop and help out another bloke in need. It makes me feel good to be Australian.

NissanGQ4.2
30th March 2012, 09:41 PM
Very lucky, I love that someone is still genuine enough to stop and help out another bloke in need. It makes me feel good to be Australian.

X 2, very lucky some one stopped.

also, next time in a winch situation don't forget something over the winch cable and people well out of the way.