PDA

View Full Version : RD2.8T Front Pulley Bolt

reactbob
25th March 2012, 02:01 PM
Hi can anyone please tell me if the bolt holding the front pully on a RD2.8T engine is right or left hand thread. It doesnt tell you in the manual and I have tried hitting it with a hammer both ways and it will not budge. I need to know the right way to loosen it, thanks.

Regards
Bob

the ferret
25th March 2012, 02:10 PM
Hi Bob, the bolt is normal right hand thread, it will be very tight, make sure you loctite it when you put it back.
I prefer to use a new bolt each time, available from Nizbits on this forum.
Don't pull off the edges of the pulley, there are two m6 threads in the harmonic balance to use as a puller.

Much easier if you remove the radiator first.
Dont lean or rest on the top tank as you will snap the overflow spiggot off!!!
Cheers, the ferret.
EDIT.
Remember to put the 2 bottom bolts on the timing cover in, BEFORE the harmonic balancer.

reactbob
25th March 2012, 02:17 PM
Thanks very much for the quick and informative help I have the engine on the garage floor so it will be a lot easier to work on.

Regards
Bob

the ferret
25th March 2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks very much for the quick and informative help I have the engine on the garage floor so it will be a lot easier to work on.

Regards
Bob

Ok, you may need to chain it to something and use a long bar.
Cheers, the ferret.

the ferret
25th March 2012, 02:32 PM
Anyway, welcome to the forum Bob, how about telling us a bit about yourself and what you drive, there is an intro page here somewhere.
Cheers, the ferret.

reactbob
25th March 2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks just did the intro.

97_gq_lwb
25th March 2012, 03:55 PM
Depending on engine rotation i sometimes use a bit of pipe over a breaker bar rest it against the chassis and hit the starter.