PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a TD42

Fity
24th March 2012, 10:57 PM
Does anyone know how hard it is to remove and replace the liners in a TD42? I have replaced them before in other diesels and it was not to big a job.

nissannewby
24th March 2012, 11:05 PM
With the right tooling i dont imagine it would be any harder unless they are a press fit i know on some of the larger diesels they arent to bad to do

Fity
25th March 2012, 01:20 PM
I have made tools to remove them before, it just that some motors have an interference fit and require liner to be heated first.

I know they run for almost forever, has no body rebuilt one them self?

growler2058
25th March 2012, 03:08 PM
I have made tools to remove them before, it just that some motors have an interference fit and require liner to be heated first.

I know they run for almost forever, has no body rebuilt one them self?

Mines done well in excess of 500,000 and hopefully i wont have to look at a rebuild for many muddy miles yet!

Fity
26th March 2012, 12:29 PM
Mines done well in excess of 500,000 and hopefully i wont have to look at a rebuild for many muddy miles yet!

This motor has over 600k on it, I have only seen it idle ( pretty ruff) and am preparing for a rebuild if needed.

brodz_666
12th April 2012, 08:13 PM
Hey Mate i pulled out my liners myself, just gave them all a hit with the mig and shrunk em, then they nearly fell out....

Fity
12th April 2012, 09:03 PM
I never thought of using a MIG. I have lite fires in cylinders to remove seized pistons before, that works well.

97_gq_lwb
12th April 2012, 09:43 PM
I am about to do one but i am having trouble getting my head around using a mig to shrink them wtf please explain lol

nissannewby
12th April 2012, 10:47 PM
just weld on the inside of the cylinder when it cools it contracts and shrinks it

nissannewby
12th April 2012, 10:48 PM
you can use the same principle on some wheel bearing setups.

97_gq_lwb
12th April 2012, 10:53 PM
ah ok never would have thought that would work will give it a shot how about putting them back in is their any hassle or they just slip in and fit flush

Fity
13th April 2012, 08:15 AM
I am about to rebuild mine. The manual shows a special tool which is bolted down to the head bolt threads. If they come out with a little thermal contraction then over night in the freezer and a tap with a rubber mallet might do the trick to get them back in. I will let you know how I go unless you beat me to it.

Have you had any quotes for pistons, rings, liners, bearings, etc?

97_gq_lwb
13th April 2012, 08:22 AM
So far all i have seen is a full rebuild kit on ebay for about $1300.
Might try genuine and a few of the local engine reco blokes and see what they come up with.
I noticed vrs sets on ebay were more expensive then the genuine nissan at $240

Fity
13th April 2012, 08:33 AM
I am not touching an unknown ebay kit. My local parts place will do it all for $1500 or $1800 with turbo pistons and they are all known brands. A little more then ebay, but at least I know what I am getting.
Maybe we can get a deal for 2? Did yours not like the turbo?

97_gq_lwb
13th April 2012, 11:01 AM
I bought another patrol because i couldn't resist the price it has a cooked engine wich has scored a few cylinders.
But if i am going to rebuild it i will be fitting it into my wagon then putting my wagon engine in the ute.
Not sure what to do with it yet as it's a ute with winch and bush bars nice mags 4.3 diffs wich i think are the h266.
Might even part it out and keep some spares for my wagon always handy having alternator starter injection pump etc .

the ferret
13th April 2012, 11:50 AM
You can put the piston at the bottom, two dobs of weld inside the liner and turn motor over by hand, this should push the liner out.
Not a good idea if re using the pistons., undo big end and remove.
When fitting new liners, check liner protrusion.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fity
13th April 2012, 03:59 PM
You can put the piston at the bottom, two dobs of weld inside the liner and turn motor over by hand, this should push the liner out.
Not a good idea if re using the pistons., undo big end and remove.
When fitting new liners, check liner protrusion.
Cheers, the ferret.

Now that is thinking. :)

97_gq_lwb
13th April 2012, 10:32 PM
apparently sms diesels do a rebuilt kit with the lot have to call them for a price.

97_gq_lwb
14th April 2012, 10:11 AM
$1200 + gst from sms full kit including head bolts thrust washers the lot.
http://www.smsdiesel.com.au/

Fity
14th April 2012, 11:00 PM
That is a good price. What sort of pistons and rings does it come with? Turbo our non?

mardanethomas
14th April 2012, 11:12 PM
I agree definitely help in bringing some positive output .

97_gq_lwb
15th April 2012, 08:21 AM
That is a good price. What sort of pistons and rings does it come with? Turbo our non?
I told them non turbo 89 td42 engine.
Give them a call they seem to be one of the major suppliers worldwide probably where everyone else gets the kits from anyway.

brodz_666
15th April 2012, 06:07 PM
Sorry havent been on for a few days but yeah all you do is give the liners a hit with the mig, i tend to do a line of weld across the liner as it pulls the liner in on itself tighter, just be careful not to use to higher temp or you may melt strait thru the liner =\ lol. Im currently rebuilding my td42 out of a gq which is going into my gu, which had a grenade in it. I baught a rebuild kit off ebay from roodogs spares in murray bridge. Realy nice and helpfull bloke, the kit is made up of some genuine parts and I think diesel power parts, i cant remember exactly.... But all are realy good quality parts, i had turbo pistons included in the deal too... So far ive had the block machined and crack tested, liners are in now the real fun starts! Lol....

Lowy44
7th November 2012, 09:41 AM
No updates since April, How is the conversion going brodz. I am undertaking the same at the moment. ANy advice / hints etc???

Cougar2007
30th November 2014, 03:39 PM
A couple globs of weld and turn the engine over hey? :) well that didn't work. Anyone got any more ideas ?

Bloodyaussie
30th November 2014, 03:53 PM
A couple globs of weld and turn the engine over hey? :) well that didn't work. Anyone got any more ideas ?

Yeah head over to the intro section and say gday before posting... polite and all mate, cheers.