PDA

View Full Version : gearbox probs

snowy
24th March 2012, 12:22 AM
Anyone experienced a clunky shift from 3rd to 4th and a bit of a crunch from 5th back to 4th. Its starting to irritate me because ive just rebuilt the gearbox in my other car. Is it a common fault. Im guessing it could be a synchro? But was wondering if its a known fault with the patrol... not looking forward to exerting the energy to remove it as ive heard its a bit of a task to do so. Ive changed the oil to a quality synthetic and with no improvement i think a tube of nulon additive wont do anything. Any suggestions or info? Cheers:drunk:

macca86
24th March 2012, 12:37 AM
I have the same GU zd30 2000 model 3 to 4th is clunky and little crunch if I hurry my shift but take my time with it it pops in nice. new oil never help mine either

snowy
24th March 2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah mines like that too on the up shift but is almost impossible to avoid from 5th back to 4th unless i go from 5th to 3rd then change to
4th

macca86
24th March 2012, 10:36 AM
I'm all good going down the gears the only problem is 3rd to 4th sounds like it could be a common problem

macca
20th August 2012, 11:06 AM
Mine is doing this downshifting 5th to 4th, and the rattles at 1000 odd rpm drive me nuts. I cant hear B All and it still grates.

What you guys have written is the oil and additive make no difference.

Was hoping that would be a simple fix.

Cheers Macca

NissanGQ4.2
20th August 2012, 03:58 PM
Hi mate

Have moved your thread into the gearbox section under Mechanical, Engine and Drivetrain, Gearboxes.

Good luck with your probs

Cheers

Todd

macca
27th August 2012, 08:50 AM
Put a tube of Nulon G70 and fresh oil in the gear box last week, when cold it sometimes took a bit to get into 2nd, well that has gone, down shifting from 5th to 4th is greatly improved, not 100% but way better.
The 1000rpm rattles are still there but about 1/2 what it was.
Overall one hell of an improvemrnt.
The oil that came out was as clean as when it was put in and very small amount of crud on the magnet, it was in there for 15months.
So far it gets my vote.....

macca86
31st August 2012, 04:54 PM
What oil should I use for the box in doing mine on sunday

The BigFella
31st August 2012, 07:44 PM
sounds like the synchro is on the way out on 4th. Best way to shift with this is to double shuffle, just like to good old days!
Can be caused by high revving between gear changes over the years, this can be due the operators technique or the throttle mechanism not returning to idle quick enough.
Not only Patrol boxes with the problem, mine started doing this at 200,000ks, has just over 540,000 now with no changes.
My brother's patrol has the same problem, just learn how to change slowly and double shuffle! Or you can spend the $900 on a kit?

BARWICK
1st September 2012, 01:15 PM
same problem here, hope it dosent get any worse

the godfather
2nd September 2012, 12:36 AM
I my experience, this problem is usually the gear oil. You need to use a GL4 code oil, not a GL5. Most motor shops will sell you the GL5. It will destroy your syncros quite quickly. VMX80 is a good pick.