PDA

View Full Version : 4,8 Litre Petrol

Rocklobster
22nd March 2012, 11:20 PM
Hi Everyone ,
My son is eager buy a 4.8 litre Patrol and i am concerned about the fuel consumption . I have a GU with a TD42 and it can be heavy . I am told the petrols are extreme . Could anyone give me some feedback on the fuel and engine longitivety. He is looking to purchase an 07 08 model with a round 100 k on it .
Thanks in advance

Bigrig
22nd March 2012, 11:46 PM
The mileage should be ok mate, as they are still a strong engine, but reading a few threads on here already about consumption, they are definitely thirsty beasts ...

I'm on tapatalk so can't cut and paste threads, but try a search on "consumption" and you should see a few interesting reads on their usage.

Bulbous
23rd March 2012, 05:38 AM
I've got one of these beasts, and the engine is pretty bullet proof so don't worry about the mileage. As for the fuel consumption, actually it's generally better than the 4.5 model, but starts to suffer a bit when you give it the hammer. I try to drive mine sensibly (think driving miss Daisy) and get about 17 Ltr / 100. That works out to approx 650 - 700 km per tank.
However it's also very easy to drop the hammer and just floor it. In which case it just guzzles the fuel down.

Drove to work at 100 kph today and just barely made the needle move off full. Drove home at 160 kph and dropped almost quarter of a tank. The trip is about 70 KM.

You need to keep the air filter clean as well, they really seem to suffer when it gets dirty. Lose performance and running rich. I learnt the hard way and now bang out my filter after every trip off-road.

Best car I've ever owned.

Bloggsy
23rd March 2012, 09:35 PM
G,day RockLobster,

Mine is a 2003 Auto that I've had since new. In that time all that's been replaced are 2 x starter motors, AC Compressor, radiator, these due to mud build up. The only other things I replaced recently was the o2 sensors as they were giving odd readings every now and then and the water pump which started to weep through the housing. Other than that, it's been pretty great.

Fuel consumption see's me constantly getting around 18-20L/100km running ULP 95 most of the time. This is for freeway and town driving.
With a mix of off-road (mainly punting around in Low range all day) and freeway/town driving it may bump up to 25L/100km on average.
Bear in mind that my Patrol is pretty heavy, steel bullbar, 12,000lb winch, dual batteries, steel twin wheel carrier (sometimes carrying 2 wheels because I can't be bothered taking the 2nd spare off LOL!!), 180L fuel capacity, water tank, fridge slide, drawers full of cr@p etc.... running 3" lift with 285/75/16 Muddies with steel rims.

I think the worst I ever got was around 28-30L/100km doing 110kpmh, fully loaded car and towing a 1.2T camper trailer into a pretty strong head wind.

It's only just clocked over to 150,000 km on the odo.

Just be mindful that they stopped doing the sub tank on the more newer ones (2006+ ??), so what you may buy may only have a 95L fuel capacity, unless the previous owner has changed that.

I agree with Bulbous' comments too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Darren

Rocklobster
24th March 2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the input fellas he has purchased an 07 model today ,
Thanks,again

Bulbous
25th March 2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the update, let us know if he likes it