PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers 4.2 diesel

country boy
16th September 2010, 12:41 AM
Hi guys hope this is in the right section , My truck is none turbo , has any one swapped the standard front muffler out for a sports muffler using the standard pipes ? If so has it done anything good or bad , noise or performance ? cheers guys .

Finly Owner
17th September 2010, 12:22 AM
Paul? Tony? Rohan? Wayne? Ross? Anyone?

YNOT
17th September 2010, 03:40 PM
It all depends on exactly what muffler you fit. I've fitted a 3 inch exhaust to a TD42T with a sports muffler that was smaller than the original muffler, and it was as quiet as standard.

Tony

patch697
17th September 2010, 05:09 PM
As Tony said it depends on a few factors but talk to your exhaust bloke he can give you a better idea on the products he sells & the likely out come as well.

If you tell them what it is your after thay can suggest a course of action as well.

Cheers
Paul

Woof
17th September 2010, 05:15 PM
I'm running a DTS turbo with a 3" straight through exhaust system, yes it is very loud but I love it.
Even in my old 2007 GU I was running a 3" straight though system off a 2.5" turbo dump.

country boy
17th September 2010, 05:54 PM
I was actually after a bit of volume and performance [ not crazy loud just to be able to hear it would be nice] i went down the local mffler shop which the guy said he had a patrol as well and he was quite happy with just replacing the front muffler with a Sports muffler with the standard system he noticed a gain in volume and also a little more go , but what he thought was even better was that he got an extra 50km a tank . I was just wondering if any one else had done the same and what the results were ? Cheers guys have a good week end .

bender84
18th September 2010, 02:52 AM
hey try to use dynomax muffler is the best, on my patrol i use this muffler and it works awesome

DX grunt
18th September 2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry can't help here. My exhaust is completely bog standard because I like it quiet!

X 2. Sorry

The only advice I can give you is not to make it that loud that it draws attention to yourself, otherwise the cops might sticker it.

Then, the examiner's start at the front number plate and work their way back very slowly to the towball.

If you're unlucky, you'll walk away with a shopping list.

DX grunt
18th September 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm running a DTS turbo with a 3" straight through exhaust system, yes it is very loud but I love it.
Even in my old 2007 GU I was running a 3" straight though system off a 2.5" turbo dump.

Puts a WRX to shame. lolololol

country boy
18th September 2010, 01:56 PM
Hi guys thanks and yes i dont want it to loud just a bit of a note would be good , i would only be using the standard system which is 2 inch and either swap out the front muffler for a sports muffler or replace front muffler with a straight through pipe , i dont think it would be very loud either way being it is only a 2 inch system and still has the rear muffler on it . Cheers guys .

89GQ
18th September 2010, 10:14 PM
I was actually after a bit of volume and performance [ not crazy loud just to be able to hear it would be nice] i went down the local mffler shop which the guy said he had a patrol as well and he was quite happy with just replacing the front muffler with a Sports muffler with the standard system he noticed a gain in volume and also a little more go , but what he thought was even better was that he got an extra 50km a tank . I was just wondering if any one else had done the same and what the results were ? Cheers guys have a good week end .I would be interested in what type he used?? are sports mufflers the same just different size pipe?Cheers.Let us know what you get!!

country boy
18th September 2010, 10:54 PM
Hi 89gq i'm not shore wot brand sports muffler he used , the standard muffler has 3 sections in it before it comes out the other end but a sports muffler has a pip straight through from front to back but the pip has holes or perforations in it to dull the noise thats wot the guy said anyway .

89GQ
18th September 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi 89gq i'm not shore wot brand sports muffler he used , the standard muffler has 3 sections in it before it comes out the other end but a sports muffler has a pip straight through from front to back but the pip has holes or perforations in it to dull the noise thats wot the guy said anyway .Cheers! I might go to a few shops and sus it out!

Roo72
19th September 2010, 09:47 AM
My old's have a 92 GQ td42, They fitted extractors and a 2.5" aluminised mild steel sports system(only one offset glass packed muffler) while they were midway around Oz on tour(Darwin). they had skirted the Kimberly towing a 22ft van and found the going tough, could only travel in the early morning then make camp by 10am as the truck would get slower and slower and the cloud of black smoke thicker as the day got hotter. Dad said the difference was huge, better economy, less smoke, more poke, tow all day if you like. Its not too noisy and the system is still on it now some 15 years later. Sound kinda horn....for a NA diesel.

Cheers Roo.

country boy
21st September 2010, 11:57 PM
Hi guys well i got me a sports muffler on today , a little disappointed in the lack of noise but rather happy with it being more free revving . So when i can get some extra funds i think i will put a 2 1/2 inch straight pipe from the rear joiner back . cheers

red92gq
22nd September 2010, 09:12 PM
While your at it check out the flex joint in the rear section of your engine pipe .
Most of the flex joints are reduced to about 1,1/2" at both ends .
Getting rid of this restriction by fitting a bigger flex joint helps too.

country boy
24th September 2010, 12:17 AM
Okay red92gq will do , thanks for the heads up . am i able to tell from the out side or how do i find out if it is 1 1/2 inch internal ? Cheers and thanks for any info every one , much appreciated .

country boy
11th October 2010, 09:25 PM
Hi Red i took of the cover that is over the front end of the flex joint your not kidding it must be about 35 mm and the rear of it is about 40 mm . It just makes me wonder why the hell or wot the hell were they thinking of when they built them like this . It actually reminds me of a Yamaha DT200 dirt bike i had it had a washer welded to the inside of the expansion chamber just where the gases come in from the head , take it out and it turns it in to a different bike . So this will be my next thing to do just need to get some money to do it .

country boy
28th October 2010, 10:35 PM
Well guys i had the flex joint and restrictions on either side cut out a replaced , and it sure did make a difference . So now my question is how can i make it louder ? Any body got any ideas ?
Ps just dont want it crazy loud that the cops are going to be interested . cheers guys .

Woof
28th October 2010, 10:47 PM
Go 3" straight through:smiley_thumbs_up:

red92gq
7th November 2010, 10:41 PM
Just spent the w/end making up an fitting a 2 1/2" system ,extractors an step through muffler.
Havent driven to far yet but it rev's easier an seems to pull a lot better .
Exhaust note isnt to bad until you get up around 2500 rpm.
The original flexjoint on mine had collapsed inside an was half blocking the pipe
By the end of the week i should know how much difference it makes to my economy.

country boy
7th November 2010, 11:24 PM
That sounds nice Red , i just wish i had the money to get a 2 1/2 inch system for mine . I mite have to wait for a year or so as its not long since i have just got the truck . Let us now how it goes on the fuel side of it . cheers .

red92gq
9th November 2010, 12:15 AM
I just bought 3 metres of exhaust tube ,the muffler, 4 flanges an a 2 1/2" exhaust donut, About $200 all up plus the
$235 for the extractors.
An then spent the w/end in the shed with a beer an the MIG
Bit of work but cheaper than buying a ready made system or paying the exhaust shop to do it.
Still going to fit a small resonator in the back section to improve the note .

grumpy mongrel
10th November 2010, 08:02 PM
I believe if you are going to replace the exhaust go straight for the 3". My brother put extractors etc with 2 1/2" and wishes he'd gone the whole hog. He is late 70's and still goes outback bigtime everyear. cheers grumpy mongrel (this is non turbo 4.2gq)

jake_308
18th November 2010, 11:30 AM
my 4.2 TD has a 3'' exhaust with a can on the back. its no loader then stock but makes alot of difference with power and fuel. i dot it dyno'd and i'be got 97 RW KW running 12 psi boost. mate has his running 14psi with a stright trough system (which is loud as) and he has 114 RW KW. i get 650kms from a tank (85l?) or 1250-1300 from both tanks!.
cheers

red92gq
21st November 2010, 01:17 AM
Well the new exhaust is saving me about $10 a week,
I've fitted a 12" hotdog in the rear section which has quietened the note down a bit.

country boy
22nd November 2010, 11:44 PM
Red thats good .

country boy
10th January 2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Red92gq so how is the system going now you have had it on for a while ?

red92gq
11th January 2011, 11:09 PM
Systems working good, but i'm thinking about changing the muffler as this one makes it sound like a 3 litre when your giving it the berries.