PDA

View Full Version : Some big wet ruts + breaking my brand new snatch strap

HallyGUTE
22nd March 2012, 03:06 AM
Thought i'd chuck these up for ya. Having some fun in the mud

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/ChrisHall16/?action=view&current=Bigwetrutsmeedit.mp4

Breaking my brand new snatch strap as a result of this bog
http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/ChrisHall16/IMG_0213.jpg

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g369/ChrisHall16/?action=view&current=SNAPstrap.mp4

poor 8000kg strap didn't stand a chance, i've since upgraded to an 11000 kg one lol

the ferret
22nd March 2012, 03:24 AM
Huh, looks like there would be some sticky stuff under that water mate.
Well at least you have a better strap now lol.
Cheers, the ferret.

Silver
22nd March 2012, 04:53 AM
That's interesting, HallyGUTE.

I reckon it is a good thing if the snatch strap is the weakest link.

Snatch straps are cheap to replace, and if the strap itself fails, there are no heavy chunks of metal flying through the air, or chassis being bent all out of shape etc. That's assuming that any joined straps have been loop to looped, and not shackled.

I find it hard to judge distances on videos - how much run up did your snatcher have?

I seem to recall, but haven't checked recently, that being wet reduces the strength of snatch straps.

Do you think it picked up some damage from a rock or log or something else while under water?

Do you remember, and are you prepared to share what brand it was?

scotty83
22nd March 2012, 07:24 AM
If you are going to get stuck do it properly.... Nice looking rig too. at least it is a DX. No stinky carpet to try and clean...

HallyGUTE
22nd March 2012, 03:31 PM
That's interesting, HallyGUTE.

I reckon it is a good thing if the snatch strap is the weakest link.

Snatch straps are cheap to replace, and if the strap itself fails, there are no heavy chunks of metal flying through the air, or chassis being bent all out of shape etc. That's assuming that any joined straps have been loop to looped, and not shackled.

I find it hard to judge distances on videos - how much run up did your snatcher have?

I seem to recall, but haven't checked recently, that being wet reduces the strength of snatch straps.

Do you think it picked up some damage from a rock or log or something else while under water?

Do you remember, and are you prepared to share what brand it was?

Hey mate yeah i was glad the strap broke instead of my recovery point flying through the air haha.
I think my mate had roughly 5 metres till there was tension on the strap. I dont thing there would have been any damage to the strap because of rocks etc under the water, the only thing under that water was mud that you'd sink in up to your knees lol. The brand of the strap is Just Straps. even though it was brand new i can't fault it for breaking as i was proper bogged and a mate of mine has the exact same strap and its worked for him on many occasions. like you said above its better the strap breaks than missiles flying or chassis bending.

HallyGUTE
22nd March 2012, 03:35 PM
If you are going to get stuck do it properly.... Nice looking rig too. at least it is a DX. No stinky carpet to try and clean...

Yeha mate the vinyl is easy to clean, but the underlay that is stuck to the bottom of it stinks. it was a pretty big job pulling the seats and everything out, its the first time its ever been done so as you can imagine there was heaps of dirt under the vinyl that built up over the years, then i added water and created mud haha. hardest thing abouot cleaning it was peeling all the underlay off the back of the vinyl...its glued on pretty good! i went and brought some more and cut it to shape so next time this happens just gotta pull the vinyl up and hose it down then throw the underlay in the bin and cut some more, it was only $10 a metre which was a bonus

MudRunnerTD
22nd March 2012, 04:29 PM
poor 8000kg strap didn't stand a chance, i've since upgraded to an 11000 kg one lol

Hi mate, not a big fan of this idea for what you are doing to be honest. Your recovery hook is likely rated at 10,000lbs and not 10,000kgs. There is Way way different outcomes there.

Have a good read of this thread mate, it could save your life.

Recovery-The-Fundamentals (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?1984-Recovery-The-Fundamentals)

A Snatch Strap is a Kinetic recovery rope. It is designed to stretch 20% of its length and then provide its created and store kinetic Energy to pop you out of where you are. The problem is that the heavier the snatch strap the harder you have to tug it to achieve the stretch and create the Kinetic energy, Which is the point of the thing! By "Upgrading" to an 11,000kg Snatch your mate will have to hit it that much harder to achieve the result you need. The hit on your hitch point and His will be a Harder hit and the cost of creating the Kinetic Energy will be greater right through the mechanical chain of recovery. A Snatch should feel gradual in both cars. No Big BANGS.

Leave the 11,000kgs snatch strap for the OKA and the F trucks mate.

By reading the thread above you should have a greater understanding of how Stuck you really were, the weights that you were dealing with and armed with this info your in a better position to make educated, informed and safe decisions about how best to extract your car. You should have winched out of that on a Double line pull, Slowly. Releasing the suction layer as you go.

How did you get out out of interest?

Using a snatch there next time maybe think about not trying to get it out on the first Hit. there would have been nothing wrong with him building up to the big one using smaller tugs to see about loosening the suction on your car. You would likely have got it out on the 5th or 6th pull i reckon.

Sorry mate, not having a go at you, that is not why you posted it up. I am a big fan of sharing info to make our hobbie safe for everyone. That is why we are all here.

Enjoy mate, Nice car. looked like fun. ;)

Airstrike
22nd March 2012, 04:31 PM
wow thats bogged... hard

NissanGQ4.2
22nd March 2012, 04:48 PM
Couldn't use the Winch 2 get yourself out?

BigMav
22nd March 2012, 07:19 PM
Watched the vid before I saw your avatar and thought that looks like Ollera Creek, then saw your in Townsville. If it is Ollera the bogholes there have claimed many many 4b's over the years. What looks like an innocent puddle will swallow your car more often than not. Heaps of cars without snorkels have been written off there. Its pretty fun though. I reckon old mate pulling you out might have been going a tad quick but its easy to say in hindsight.

HallyGUTE
23rd March 2012, 04:13 AM
Watched the vid before I saw your avatar and thought that looks like Ollera Creek, then saw your in Townsville. If it is Ollera the bogholes there have claimed many many 4b's over the years. What looks like an innocent puddle will swallow your car more often than not. Heaps of cars without snorkels have been written off there. Its pretty fun though. I reckon old mate pulling you out might have been going a tad quick but its easy to say in hindsight.

Spot on mate that is ollera. that is actually the first main bog hole you get to on your way in haha, that's the second time i've been stuck in it lol. getting my locker fitted tomorrow so i'll have to have another crack. and yeah my mate doing the snatching has a heavy foot lol

HallyGUTE
23rd March 2012, 04:13 AM
Couldn't use the Winch 2 get yourself out?

yeah mate got out with the winch no dramas

HallyGUTE
23rd March 2012, 04:20 AM
Leave the 11,000kgs snatch strap for the OKA and the F trucks mate.

By reading the thread above you should have a greater understanding of how Stuck you really were, the weights that you were dealing with and armed with this info your in a better position to make educated, informed and safe decisions about how best to extract your car. You should have winched out of that on a Double line pull, Slowly. Releasing the suction layer as you go.

How did you get out out of interest?

Using a snatch there next time maybe think about not trying to get it out on the first Hit. there would have been nothing wrong with him building up to the big one using smaller tugs to see about loosening the suction on your car. You would likely have got it out on the 5th or 6th pull i reckon.

Sorry mate, not having a go at you, that is not why you posted it up. I am a big fan of sharing info to make our hobbie safe for everyone. That is why we are all here.

Enjoy mate, Nice car. looked like fun. ;)

G'day mate, cheers for the link i'll definitely check it out and thanks for the tips about the 11000kg strap, i hadn't considered that. After the strap broke i just winched myself out and it was easy enough. just a single line pull nice and slow and it was all good. Cheers for the advice mate :)

Update: so i just read the link you posted and first off i'd like to thank you because i just realised how little i knew! i dont even want to do the maths on the bog i was in because both my rear tyres were under water! definitely a lot of extremely useful information in there and i encourage everyone to have a look at it. Thanks again!

Hally

TheFlyingBadger
23rd March 2012, 07:17 AM
yeah mate got out with the winch no dramas

A snatch strap should be the last resort for freeing yourself, not least because of the dangers involved in a snatch recovery. Nonetheless, you see people resorting to snatches when 2 mins of effort with a shovel would do the trick. Not saying that the shovel would have been any good here, but the winch did the trick.

Not having a crack at you Hally, it's just a general observation about people's obsession with snatch straps

Tweakedoffroad
23rd March 2012, 05:37 PM
Wow mate that's definatly a sneaky one
I agree emensly with mudrunnerTd about the snatch strap the bigger the strap the bigger the force as much as nissans are strong and unbrake able it's not worth life, time and the stress when something goes wrong

Ben81C
26th March 2012, 12:48 PM
This is a very good point about multiple gentler pulls, i recently was in a situation where my GU and my cousins 100 series both got bogged, we were at zig zag on a sunday arvo heading back from a fishing trip and thought we would have a play on the way home. Both got stuck in the first bog hole (if you have driven here you will know the ones i mean) As it was a sunday we waited an hour and a half for a passing forbie, tried to snatch mine first but it did not move an inch, gave up and worked on the other, got it out finally. Mine was stuck fast and we had to give it 4 yanks before it broke the oose seal, the 5th got it moving a little and the 6th got it out. If we had tried to give it 1 massive pull i think the result would have been broken strap. Its hard to be calm and think when you have half a foot of water in your truck but this certainly worked for us. The strap in question was used 3 or 4 times after this before it was binned. All frayed and looking dodgy. Bin before hospital i reckon. Break the seal then get moving, worked for us. (then had to flat tow home behind a toyota (shame i know but home i got) as my GU went into limp mode)

ososito
7th April 2012, 05:48 AM
Water ressistant hahaha