PDA

View Full Version : How big is too big?

MudSlut
21st March 2012, 10:03 PM
Hi, I see a lot of 4wd's running 31"/33" tyres and some running 35" tyres, apart from cost and a higher chance of breaking something is there a good reason why everyone doesn't just get lower gear ratios and 40" tyres?

I'm asking this because I'm looking at getting the GQ some new shoes and rims, I have my eye on a set of Pro Comp wheels that are 15x14 with a offset of -89mm. and running a 40x15 tyre. I already have 8" of lift and the offset should keep the tyres from hitting the chassis, The GQ is mainly used for 4wding with the occasional HWY run, I will be keeping the 35's for any prolonged HWY use.
http://www.procomp.com.au/Default.asp?MenuId=WHEEL_0152 <----- Link to INFO Page.

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 10:11 PM
Wouldn't the main concern be a strong wind blowing it over.

Dhuck
21st March 2012, 10:13 PM
All comes down to the boys in blue mate. I would love to run a bigger tyre. I have 35's and am very cautious of them.

Boofa
22nd March 2012, 08:36 PM
good stuff, no such thing as too big

growler2058
22nd March 2012, 08:38 PM
Would look very cool but reckon the coppers would be all over ya like a bad rash mate

Tappin N Crappin

megatexture
22nd March 2012, 08:43 PM
Would look very cool but reckon the coppers would be all over ya like a bad rash mate

Tappin N Crappin

totaly agree im sure most ppl would run larger but over 35" is prity damn obvious that they arnt legal they will prob hear the tyre noise b4 they see your rig ! haha but if u dont care for gettin stung go for it whats the fine $ anyway ?

MudSlut
22nd March 2012, 09:49 PM
Oh ok cool, well here in Tas they are pretty relaxed about laws... O.o I know right! I see a lot of rigs with tyres hanging 2 or 3 inches outside of the arches and jacked up to the tits, The cops don't pull over anything apart from imports. even stock Imports, everything else just falls into the "Not a Hoon" category and gets overlooked.

nissannewby
22nd March 2012, 11:48 PM
Modification is one reason even with your lift you will probably find some sort of clearance issue with your guards, as you said big tyres put more stress on everything to get the size working at its best for you you will need crawler gears and a diff ratio change. GQ cvs will pop depending on your driving style so you will need to upgrade these to chromo or gu front diff, diff will have to be braced especially running such a wide tyre and big offset wheels. I love bigger tyres but make sure you put the work in or it will spend more time trying to break itself

MudSlut
23rd March 2012, 10:03 AM
Ok thanks nissannewby, I'll have to look more into these upgrades. I don't mind spending the coin if it's going to better the off road capabilities.

1MadEngineer
23rd March 2012, 12:15 PM
mate i think you sould have a look at this sort of setup.
http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/index.php?pag_id=10
IMO the 8" is too big, unless you are changing the diffs to 'full size'.

Greg

Ben-e-boy
23rd March 2012, 03:04 PM
Ok thanks nissannewby, I'll have to look more into these upgrades. I don't mind spending the coin if it's going to better the off road capabilities.

gday mate . if you want better off road capabilities look at your suspension first.
What parts make up the 8 inch lift?
I agree with 1madengineer and think it is too big

GRA.GU
26th March 2012, 08:37 PM
Has anyone mentioned braking to you, Mudslut? To get the same deceleration tyres that size would need the brakes to exert 30% more braking torque than standard wheels. You may be in really hot water, especially if you were to have an accident on the road.

MudSlut
26th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes I am looking at getting some vented and x-Drilled rotors with upgraded pads also, I should have that part covered for a bit over $1,500. Is that the sort or upgrade you were talking about? I can't really see the room for bigger rotors or calipers in 16" rims... Unless there is a BIG brake kit that it can use with 16" rims???

nissannewby
27th March 2012, 03:16 AM
There is a kit getting around from a place in WA larger rotors bigger calipers etc supposedly is a much better increase than slotted/drilled and aftermarket pads

GRA.GU
27th March 2012, 08:15 AM
Mudslut, the kit that Nissannewby mentions sounds to me to be a better bet than the option you were considering. The way I see it your kit would be fine if you were just trying to improve braking with reasonably standard tyre diameters in say repeated braking on long downhill sections. But the large diameter tyres are going to play havoc with the "bight" of the brakes, ie your ability to stop the wheels when you stamp on the pedal. Larger diameter rotors may overcome this, but I would caution against just changing things without getting a lot of EXPERT advice.

TD_Wagon
27th March 2012, 12:12 PM
G'day mate,
In my opinion a 40 is too big for other than comp use, I run 35's all day and 37's on harder trips, braking is greatly affected with the 37's and i have upgraded to the twin piston calipers with slotted rotors. Also I am only running a 3" lift with the guards chopped (can supply pics if wanted) so 8" is abit unnecessary.
Cheers
Lewis

Ben-e-boy
27th March 2012, 04:10 PM
G'day mate,
In my opinion a 40 is too big for other than comp use, I run 35's all day and 37's on harder trips, braking is greatly affected with the 37's and i have upgraded to the twin piston calipers with slotted rotors. Also I am only running a 3" lift with the guards chopped (can supply pics if wanted) so 8" is abit unnecessary.
Cheers
Lewis

Do you have a build thread?? I'd like to see some photoes, I like the idea of small lift big tyres, that will be a good,stable rig

TD_Wagon
28th March 2012, 12:33 PM
Do you have a build thread?? I'd like to see some photoes, I like the idea of small lift big tyres, that will be a good,stable rig

G'day mate,
nah no build thread on here, cut about 100mm out of front guards, and about 30mm or so out of the rear of the rear guards and the quater chop,few pics:
with the 37's on
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/charged88/kinglake1.jpg
front guard chop
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/charged88/IMG_0225.jpg

Warnie
28th March 2012, 01:03 PM

I also like the idea of big tyres small lift, for the same reason Benny said, in that it will be a more stable rig. Big lifts IMO are only useful in slow offroad situations such as wombat holes or areas where you need great articulation on a flat surface. On any sort of inclination great articulation just becomes dangerous as the risk of rolling increases exponentially.

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2012, 01:07 PM
G'day mate,
nah no build thread on here, cut about 100mm out of front guards, and about 30mm or so out of the rear of the rear guards and the quater chop,few pics:
with the 37's on
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/charged88/kinglake1.jpg
front guard chop
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab125/charged88/IMG_0225.jpg

good stuff, mine only scrub at full flex but I also run 35 on a 15x10 on a neg 44 offset. I see you run trepadores too brilliant tyre I dont know why more people dont use them

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2012, 01:14 PM
I also like the idea of big tyres small lift, for the same reason Benny said, in that it will be a more stable rig. Big lifts IMO are only useful in slow offroad situations such as wombat holes or areas where you need great articulation on a flat surface. On any sort of inclination great articulation just becomes dangerous as the risk of rolling increases exponentially.

Not even slow off road mate, you stick a long travel shock in a small lift ( mine are over 200mm longer that a "standard" 4inch shock) you'll flex through most stuff

Warnie
28th March 2012, 01:44 PM
Ive gotta get a set of coil retainers and longer shocks. And maybe even use my rig more, its been pretty tame of late.

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2012, 02:03 PM
Ive gotta get a set of coil retainers and longer shocks. And maybe even use my rig more, its been pretty tame of late.

yeah have a look at my set up next time we go for a drive

TD_Wagon
28th March 2012, 02:11 PM
Ben-e-boy, Yeah mate Treps are tops! Have just about trashed the 35's but they have lasted over 2 years and 2 vheicles ha ha
Big lift IMO is only good for ramp over angles and getting booked ha ha they would be good for like big arse rock crwaling and that though

Ben-e-boy
28th March 2012, 08:03 PM
Ben-e-boy, Yeah mate Treps are tops! Have just about trashed the 35's but they have lasted over 2 years and 2 vheicles ha ha
Big lift IMO is only good for ramp over angles and getting booked ha ha they would be good for like big arse rock crwaling and that though

yeah my prefered terrain is rock, I still think it too big COG is to high

BLKWDW
30th March 2012, 11:34 AM
Without starting a new thread once my cruiser sells i'll be upgrading my 31's. How do the fella go running 35's on stock gearing transfer/diff off road? I'm setting it up as a tough tourer and would like 35's but cant afford reduction gears to offset them so 33's are looking more appealing. Your thoughts?

Winnie
30th March 2012, 12:06 PM
35s will be sloooowww!

Micktroll
30th March 2012, 05:16 PM
hey Dhuck,

i too am from qld...have you had any unwanted attention from the boys in blue?? i currently have the 2' suspension lift and 31" AT...i am heaps keen to get a 3-4" suspension lift and possibly a 2" body lift and a set of 35"s?? but i also dont want to get any fines or something like that?? cheers

MudSlut
1st April 2012, 04:14 PM
What are the tyres in the first pic with the hell side walls?

megatexture
2nd April 2012, 06:20 PM
What are the tyres in the first pic with the hell side walls?

maxxis Trepador

nissannewby
2nd April 2012, 10:22 PM
Portals?? with 33's lol

Ben-e-boy
3rd April 2012, 07:39 AM
Without starting a new thread once my cruiser sells i'll be upgrading my 31's. How do the fella go running 35's on stock gearing transfer/diff off road? I'm setting it up as a tough tourer and would like 35's but cant afford reduction gears to offset them so 33's are looking more appealing. Your thoughts?

The 35's will suck a good 35% power and steep decent will be too fast you will need to be on the brakes the whole way down.
My opinion for a tough tourer (Knowing gear changes are out of your budget) I would get quality 33's a front auto locker, shim the rear diff, long travel shocks. If you are in QLD come on one of our day trip and you will see an aray of different setups, each the their pros and cons.
Adam (redman) has a 2 inch flexy kit with 33's when he eventually gets lockers it will be very very capable (although it is already)

MudSlut
4th April 2012, 05:15 PM
Hmm... Lots of great info coming out of you guys, Thanks a lot.

How does the Trepador bias-ply competition tyre drive on the road? Here in Tas I reckon I could get away with these on the road "In the eyes of the law" but I'm mainly wondering about the handling of the tyre on a wet road?

nissannewby
4th April 2012, 05:46 PM
You will destroy a set of stickys on the road mate. They are a soft compund and best left for when you go out for a play. Its a lot of dollars to spend on a specific type of tyre then destroy it on the bitumen. I would run 2 sets have a nice set of 33's for the road use then some 40's or something for the play time.

MudSlut
7th April 2012, 09:59 AM
Thanks Nissannewby, I was driving with a mate who had stock wheels and tyres on yesterday and he was just leaving me behind with acceleration and grip in the corners, i think i might get a set of steel rims and stock sized tyres for the road to increase saftey, drive-ability and probably even fuel consumption and get a suck set of big tyres for play time.

Would you consider driving say 150km on the tarmac to get to the start of the 4wd track a long drive for the big tyres? or just take them with me and swap them over when i get there?

Ben-e-boy
7th April 2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Nissannewby, I was driving with a mate who had stock wheels and tyres on yesterday and he was just leaving me behind with acceleration and grip in the corners, i think i might get a set of steel rims and stock sized tyres for the road to increase saftey, drive-ability and probably even fuel consumption and get a suck set of big tyres for play time.

Would you consider driving say 150km on the tarmac to get to the start of the 4wd track a long drive for the big tyres? or just take them with me and swap them over when i get there?

150 km on sticky treps will probably ruin them, you can physically twist and shape the lugs with your fingers, I have the 35in radial treps and I drive them on the road, mostly a couple of hundred km at a time.

As for you mate leaving you behind in corners, tyre size will play a big part, your lift will play a huge part aswell. what make up your lift?? 6inch spring 2 inch body??

1MadEngineer
7th April 2012, 03:39 PM
I know a couple of guys (sho ponies) that street 37 stickies full time. Both have clocked up over 15,000+ km's. Even I was surprised how well they have lasted. I reckon we have done 500km's on our's as well as a lot of comps.

mick.
10th April 2012, 04:29 PM
I know a couple of guys (sho ponies) that street 37 stickies full time. Both have clocked up over 15,000+ km's. Even I was surprised how well they have lasted. I reckon we have done 500km's on our's as well as a lot of comps.Is any of that long distance Greg or just running around town? That's pretty impressive either way though.

Cheers Mick.

dan&tamspatrol
10th April 2012, 04:37 PM
went and asked tyre about the treps was told they are ok for on road as long as u dont drive on them for more than 2 hrs also they shud be run at like 18 psi i think it was

1MadEngineer
10th April 2012, 06:10 PM
Is any of that long distance Greg or just running around town? That's pretty impressive either way though.

Cheers Mick.

1 in Vic / tas and the one that surprised me was in Thailand that was driving 350km each way to get to a comp, 35 degree ambient am the road felt like 70...

Ben-e-boy
10th April 2012, 07:36 PM
went and asked tyre about the treps was told they are ok for on road as long as u dont drive on them for more than 2 hrs also they shud be run at like 18 psi i think it was

the radials are ok on the road, I dunno about the 18 psi, I know the beads are good for 12 psi, I drive mine on the road every time the ute comes out of the shed it does a couple of hundred kms havnt had an issue yet

nissannewby
10th April 2012, 07:43 PM
My mate had a set of 35" radial treps they were pretty good for about 15k then they must have gone out of round and no end of balancing would fix the problem. I think he may have been talking about the stickys running at 18psi. If i was forking out 500 odd dollars if not more per tyre I wouldnt want to see them ruined by something they arennt intended for plus unless geared properly would become a bit of a slug on the blacktop especially with a soft compound high grip tyre.

mick.
11th April 2012, 05:53 PM
1 in Vic / tas and the one that surprised me was in Thailand that was driving 350km each way to get to a comp, 35 degree ambient am the road felt like 70...That's impressive. I would have thought they'd melt after that sort of driving.