PDA

View Full Version : Carpets... what's your opinion on the need for them?

MudSlut
21st March 2012, 10:21 PM
Hi, I was wondering what you guys think about cleaning your carpets after every time you go off road? IMO I'm sick of it and am really thinking of just pulling it all out and and painting it with some spray on grip tape.

I had a 86 Hilux with nothing on the floor apart from those deep side rubber mats, and it was quite good for easy cleaning after a weekend out in the mud. but it was a P.O.S. and it didn't bother me if it looked bad.

On the other hand my Patrol is in good condition and I would like to keep it looking nice and carpet sure does help with keeping the nice feel of a car, and the floor is one of the first thing you see when you open the door because of its 35's and 8" of lift. I have owned a drift/road car that i stripped the interior out of and the road noise became much louder inside the cab, but this included removing the rear seats that shielded the noise from the boot / exhaust. I would like to just pull all the carpet out and paint the floor with some black Grip paint like off the deck of a boat but am worried about the road noise becoming too much to handle as the drift car was beyond a sociable noise level. I am also installing a RB26DETT (Nissan GT-R twin turbo motor) which will have a 3" exhaust and maybe a screamer pipe depending on how legal i want to keep it, so the exhaust noise could be a fair bit louder than the standard TB42. Oh and it's a 4 door wagon that has been cut down to a ute, so I'm guessing "Some" of the exhaust sound could be cut down a bit because of this.

So i guess i want to know if anyone has run with no carpet, and how bad was it sound wise? And, Would having plastic flooring fix this problem or just leave water under the floor?

DX grunt
21st March 2012, 10:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're owning a DX owner about carpets. Mate, I don't even have a dimmer switch for my dash board lights. lol

I do have vinyl and underlay, which is pretty quiet.

Rossco

Winnie
21st March 2012, 11:03 PM
Why not just get rubber floor mats? Or am I missing something?

Silver
21st March 2012, 11:03 PM
no floor coverings may increase the heat in the cab a fair bit

Clunk
22nd March 2012, 12:11 AM
How about using some of that spray on rubber liner that's used in utes trays.... Would be easy to keep clean, keep some of the noise down but not sure if the heat in the cabin would increase though

AB
22nd March 2012, 09:02 AM
I have large rubber mats with 20mm sides that pretty much cover the entire floor of the front seats.

I had the same problem as you but after putting these in I rarely get mud anywhere in the carpet. Take the mats out, hose off, job done!

Winnie
22nd March 2012, 09:39 AM
That's what I do. I use the tyre cleaner at the carwash on them and it gets all the dirt out of them.

MudSlut
22nd March 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys, I'm more talking about the water that comes inside when in deep water :( I don't think having damp carpets could be good for the body. I guess I didn't explain it very clear.

Winnie
22nd March 2012, 10:47 PM
Jesus, you've got an 8" lift and 35s! How deep are the crossings you're going through!?

MudSlut
23rd March 2012, 12:17 AM
yeah I know right! She didn't get the name Mudslut for nothing, she goes deep in the holes :D usually just over the bottom of the doors and water starts coming in... :(

Jordan.mathisen
29th March 2012, 06:16 PM
Ive got no carpet in my truck. its running a ls1 with twin pipes that cut off just before the rear diff so its pretty loud the one thing i did notice was when driving in bare feet the floor can get pretty fu*ken hot so some kind of sound/heat denting might not be a bad idea. but hey its a 4wd so was never made to be a super comfortable ride

fxst06
30th March 2012, 09:36 AM
http://www.all-car-carpets.com.au/
this mob can make replacement vinyle floor just another option