PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Temperture Sender

outbackjack
21st March 2012, 06:38 PM
Hi All,

Did a quick search and couldnt find too much.

Has anyone got a picture or two for the install of the sender for Auto Temp?

I am thinking that you put some elbow joiner at the inlet to the radiator from the Trans.

I dont want to drill holes etc.

Thanks

OBJ

NissanGQ4.2
21st March 2012, 06:53 PM
Hi mate, are you looking at installing an aftermarket sender?

taslucas
21st March 2012, 06:58 PM
Hi mate. The auto has two temp senders fitted to the valvebody inside the pan. Are you talking about fitting an extra external sender and gauge? If so, wholesale automatics do a kit ( a bit too much $ for me). They remove a bolt and tap a thread into it then fit the sender to that and run the gauge into the cab. Not sure which bolt they use sorry. Not sure if there's other ways of doing it but I would think that wholesale automatics would choose the best way as they do quality work.
Sorry no pics, and hardly any info....lol

tappa slappn about

outbackjack
22nd March 2012, 12:02 AM
Hi All,

Yes I would like to fit a temp gauge for the auto. I have seen the Wholesale automatic ones and would like to do something similar. They bolt into the Radaitor I think.

I want to use the new VDO 52mm Digital temp gauge.

luwachuwa
25th April 2012, 02:43 PM
Hey mate,
Just wondering if you had much luck with doing that?I have a 4.8 and would like to put a temp guage on the auto just for piece of mind!??

outbackjack
26th April 2012, 06:29 PM
No luck yet, the wholesale automatics one is analogue, I have a digital VDO 52mm gauge, I have both a sender and the gauge. Just would like to fit it some how.

NissanGQ4.2
26th April 2012, 07:00 PM
Did you read this: http://www.automatictransmission.com.au/release.asp?NewsId=42067

This is the only way to set it up, even if you use your gauge and sender you will need to get something made up for the sender to go into the transmission's cooler union.

You could do it other ways, but this would be the best method.

Cheers

Todd

megatexture
26th April 2012, 09:24 PM
are you going to fit a aftermarket trans cooler? i fitted the largest pwr cooler, i think it was made for 8cylinder cars and mine won’t get above 95deg/c in sand with 33s and averages 80deg Celsius i cant rember how much the cooler was as i fitted it nearly 3 yr ago.
fit a cooler and you may not need a gauge.

fishnsurf
28th April 2012, 08:55 AM
hi i installed the wholesale auto temp kit other day it was really easy with there set up, u just replace the bolt that holds the oil pipe onto the trany its on the drivers side at the front of trans (this is the outlet to the cooler where the oil is at its hottest) at the moment i have not towed with it on but my temps are about 55-65 around town and short trips on hwy.

teno45
28th April 2012, 10:47 AM
hi i installed the wholesale auto temp kit other day it was really easy with there set up, u just replace the bolt that holds the oil pipe onto the trany its on the drivers side at the front of trans (this is the outlet to the cooler where the oil is at its hottest) at the moment i have not towed with it on but my temps are about 55-65 around town and short trips on hwy.

Hey mate, if you don't mind me along, what did this cost you?

fishnsurf
28th April 2012, 11:39 AM
Hey mate, if you don't mind me along, what did this cost you?

hi sounds silly but it was either $235 or $265 cant find invoice because i purchased temp kit and a manual lock up kit for the trany at same time we are going to be doing some heavy towing so wanted to watch temps and engage lock up whilst towing to bring temp down

teno45
28th April 2012, 01:37 PM
hi sounds silly but it was either $235 or $265 cant find invoice because i purchased temp kit and a manual lock up kit for the trany at same time we are going to be doing some heavy towing so wanted to watch temps and engage lock up whilst towing to bring temp down

Thanks mate. gives me a ball park figure, Dont do a huge amount of towing myself so dont know whether its worth it or not. Whats involved in the manual lock up kit?

taslucas
28th April 2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks mate. gives me a ball park figure, Dont do a huge amount of towing myself so dont know whether its worth it or not. Whats involved in the manual lock up kit?

Have a look in the DIY for a thread on manual torque converter

tappin it

outbackjack
28th April 2012, 06:58 PM
Fishnsurf, have you got any pictures of the install? I have the sender and gauge, need the adapter for the trans.

ripper
28th April 2012, 10:10 PM
Whats involved in the manual lock up kit?
There's a new DIY thread where the photos actually work now :biggrin:

ripper
20th September 2012, 09:58 PM
Has anyone got a picture or two for the install of the sender for Auto Temp?

I am thinking that you put some elbow joiner at the inlet to the radiator from the Trans.

I'm after some aftermarket sender photos now too, if anyone has some.

If I understand correctly, I might need to drill through the Banjo Bolt that holds the cooler line onto the transmission, and then tap a thread into the bolt. Hopefully it's as simple as that.

A photo of one from wholesale Autos would be great, but I want to use a digital gauge rather than their analogue one, and I'm hoping to do it cheaper too.

my third 256
21st September 2012, 07:36 AM
could you use one of these then just bolts onto housing
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NISSAN-PATROL-NAVADA-MURANO-370Z-GQ-GU-MQ-ENGINE-GAUGE-/180959652965?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a22092c65

ripper
21st September 2012, 01:15 PM
could you use one of these then just bolts onto housing
Don't think I'd trust that for transmission temps, because it's the ATF/coolant itself which is damaged by heat, and I think it can change quickly. That flat display could be good though. It might fit nicely on the steering column.

For engine temp I think it'd be okay, because it'd warn you if the temp was rising. I think the only time engine temps rise quickly is with coolant loss, and no temp gauge is fast enough to warn you of that.

I've been planning to put in a coolant loss/oil pressure alarm, and should probably do all of this as one project.

PS. Just noticed your signature "OH LEATHER IS NICE"
From what I've seen in cars, leather is just a poor substitute for vinyl :-)

adventurepaul
21st September 2012, 10:47 PM
I made up mine here http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?13793-Arduino-powered-MFD-Battery-and-temp-display
I just taped the sensor onto the outlet cooler pipe. Runs 60 ish deg most of the time. Cost me about $60 but thats for battery volts and 5 other temps too.

ripper
22nd September 2012, 01:25 AM
I made up mine here
That's awesome, except that you've probably just given me a heap of work to do :D

I just taped the sensor onto the outlet cooler pipe.
Do you have a photo of that?

I'm guessing you've heard of the Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide)?

EDIT: Well now I feel dumb.
Just realised that I read "taped the sensor onto" as tapped the sensor into :-(

ripper
18th October 2012, 01:15 AM
hi i installed the wholesale auto temp kit other day it was really easy with there set up, u just replace the bolt that holds the oil pipe onto the trany its on the drivers side at the front of trans

Any chance of a photo of that bolt?
It would really help.