PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get rid of LED LPG gauge

Winnie
21st March 2012, 01:40 PM
So my GQ is dual fuel and it has the typical unreliable LED gauge for the LPG. When I've got my headlights it shows a lower reading that with them off, and you can see the bass in my music effecting it too.
I want to get an analogue gauge, does such a beast exist? My LED gauge has 3 wires going to the back of it, assume one is neg, one is acc, and the other is the signal and would be why other things drawing power would effect it.
In my sister's Calais the fuel gauge turns into the LPG gauge when you switch fuels, not something I want as I believe they should be on seperate gauges but I would really like an analogue reading.

Cheers, Chris.

rusty_nail
21st March 2012, 01:47 PM
So my GQ is dual fuel and it has the typical unreliable LED gauge for the LPG. When I've got my headlights it shows a lower reading that with them off, and you can see the bass in my music effecting it too.
I want to get an analogue gauge, does such a beast exist? My LED gauge has 3 wires going to the back of it, assume one is neg, one is acc, and the other is the signal and would be why other things drawing power would effect it.
In my sister's Calais the fuel gauge turns into the LPG gauge when you switch fuels, not something I want as I believe they should be on seperate gauges but I would really like an analogue reading.

Cheers, Chris.

hey mate, i just upgraded my gauge as mine didnt even have one! its now got an analogue VDO gauge, got it from repco for about 50 bucks, it is so simple to install, i ran wires from the sender to the gauge, patched in a 12 v connection, from the radio i think, and then wired the light on from the dash lights. i mounted the light where the clock was, just had to widen the hole slightly, and now it fits in beatifully. you may even be able to get away with using the old wire from the sender that is currently connected to the LED gauge. if you want a pic of my setup i can putit up late tonight...

Winnie
21st March 2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah mate if you could get a photo up that would be handy, cheers.

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 03:17 PM
I wired mine up to the fuel gauge just have to get the right tank sensor and wire it up so it swaps when you change to lpg.

Winnie
21st March 2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah not looking to do it that way, I want them on seperate gauges.

rusty_nail
21st March 2012, 05:06 PM
sorry about the crappy quality of the pics, they were taken on my iphone. the wiring is pretty simple, ive put a crappy little diagram together for you(although you should be able to figure it out)

it should be about a 15 minute job, the sender should be on the middle of the tank facing the back, but if you already have a LED gauge, as long as you can figure out which ones go to which you shouldnt need to patch into anywhere.

if you get the one from repco, they dont stock it, just ask for an LPG gauge from a patrol and they should figure out the rest, thats what i did. they talked me into buying a sender too lol, i didnt know what one was at the time, you dont need it, your gas tank WILL have one pre installed, but im sure you already know that!

if you need anymore info, just ask.

cheers

nic

Winnie
21st March 2012, 06:19 PM
That's great mate, looks neat as in there. Cheers for that.