PDA

View Full Version : Start ya basta....

Parra
21st March 2012, 08:57 AM
hey guys,

so ive just been through the issues of a dead starter. I bought a new one then figured that hey, ill buy i new battery too - you know, just to make it all good (also the old battery was corroded and pretty rough looking).

wired it all up, pray like anything and turn the key - whoompo - theres my girl running like a dream. started first go, no issues, kicked faster than a bull thats been tasered in the nads.

just in time too, i had to go pick the missus up (we have been car pooling up to this point).. so i drive the 30mins to pick her up. get there, turn the car off - she comes out and jumps in - turn the car back on - again starts without a worry in the world. at this stage ive got the biggest grin in the world coz its finally back on the road!

well, this morning i jump in to go to work - chuck the key in, turn it a crack to wait for the glow plug light to go away - only there is no glow plug light, no oil light, no engine light - nothing! so i try to kick it over - nope. i may as well be trying to start my front door - i got nothing.

ok, dont panic - i pop the bonnet - my freshly polished battery cables are connected to the brand new battery terminals, which are all connected to my brand new starter. (i know its not the best thing, but the battery indicator is showing that its fine).

i wriggle everything around to make sure that the terminals arent loose (nope, they are as tight as something thats really tight). i check all the fuses - nope, no blown fuses.

at this stage, i wipe my greasy hands on my white business shirt, walk inside and grab the missus' keys and head of to work - and now posting on here for help!

Details:

- TD42
- new battery (Century N70ZZL4WD)
- new starter
- no dash lights
- no ignition
- one very unhappy driver.

any suggestions for things to check when i finally get out of this hell hole called work?

taslucas
21st March 2012, 09:25 AM
Bad luck mate! That's gotta suck. Have you checked any fuses? I'm not familiar with diesels, is there a main fuse somewhere? Hopefully some one will be along to help you shortly. Meanwhile, if it makes you feel any better, I'm in the same he'l hole that you described! Lol

tappa slappn about

Parra
21st March 2012, 09:54 AM
thanks Tas, yeah, ive looked at the fuses. previously ive had issues with the starter fuse (the black one next to the the blue one i think it is). but checked em all this morning (including the under dash ones) but cant see anything there. gah, what a frustrating experience this has been. almost 2 weeks without driving her! i think im starting to get the shakes or something...

haha, im glad there are some people that have to suffer work too :P makes me feel better!

Parra
21st March 2012, 09:59 AM
actually, just on that - would a blown ignition fuse result in no dash lights?

Yendor
21st March 2012, 10:07 AM
A blown ignition fuse can stop the warning lights from working but the vehicle should still crank.

It sounds like you could have a problem with the main fuse near the battery or a bad connection between the fuse and battery.

Did the radio and interior light work?

Parra
21st March 2012, 10:13 AM
thanks for the reply Yendor. to be honest, i didnt notice the interior light at all this morning (i just called the missus for her to go check it). and i have my radio off, so it doesnt automatically come on when i try.

update: wife just emailed me - nope, no interior lights, and no headlights...

Sir Roofy
21st March 2012, 10:21 AM
actually, just on that - would a blown ignition fuse result in no dash lights?

thats a good place to start probly a 10amp then check the rest

Yendor
21st March 2012, 10:24 AM
Ok, this means it is a main power/earth supply problem.

Check the battery hasn't died, the terminals are clean and tight.

Make sure the earth lead to the engine and body are clean and tight.

Double check the main fuses near the battery and make sure the connectors in the plug are ok.

Parra
21st March 2012, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your help guys - very much appreciate it!

one last question - can anyone post a photo or tell me what the couple of main fuses are (amp wise) near the battery so i can pick some up on my way home?

Parra
21st March 2012, 12:48 PM
ok, so just went home at lunch and put the multi to it.

0v on the battery. zilch, nada, nothing.

what sort of short/draw needs to be on a 4wd battery to drain it completely in 10 hours or so...?!

sigh, well, put it on charge, so will see what the go is when i get home.

thanks again for your help guys.

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 06:56 PM
leaving the lights on lol i did it last week.
Or sometimes when an alternator kicks the bucket it can drain power.

taslucas
21st March 2012, 07:01 PM
How'd you go mate? All charged up?

tappa slappn about

Parra
21st March 2012, 07:15 PM
Well, I took the battery back to super heap. The dude tested the battery and it showed 2.3 volts. So they swapped it to a brand new one. Tested it there at 12.4 volts. I also bought a multimeter while there. Came home, chucked the battery in and tested for a draw. Well, the old multi showed a 13.24 amp draw :O anyway, the wife got home with dinner, so tools down (everything still disconnected from the battery). Just went back out and she showed 0amp draw (wtf? Nothing changed?). Battery still shows 12.4 volts.

Anyway. Basically given up on it at the moment (lost some trust in being able to jump in and turn the key). I've tee'd up my brother in law to come check it out on the weekend (qualified auto sparky). Stuffed if I know? - thought it might be the starter I just put in, but isolated that and its not causing an issue - phew!!

Few more days of driving a floor mat :(

growler2058
21st March 2012, 07:32 PM
leaving the lights on lol i did it last week.
Or sometimes when an alternator kicks the bucket it can drain power.

Thats what happened to me alternator sh@t n sad times followed

Parra
21st March 2012, 07:51 PM
so, ignore the 0amp draw. that was me forgetting to connect the positive terminal back (whoops!)

shes reading 16 and a bit amp draw connected.

from what im seeing here, its not too uncommon for it to be caused by the alternator. having looked at the price of alternators - i have to say 'please god dont let it be an alternator!' lol, i just bought a brand new starter and a brand new battery!

any tips of where to get one a bit cheaper? also, any way to say for certain that it is the alt? sorry to constant pound on about it, but its frustrating me seeing her sitting out there so shiney!

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 07:54 PM
just disconnect the alternator and see if you lose the current draw.
is it one with a vac pump on the back or without.

growler2058
21st March 2012, 08:04 PM
It's the one thing I didn't do myself I rang a mobile mechanic so that was pricey but I think the alt was around $400 it's on a td42 and had engine oil plumbed into it which I only realized coz of the amount of oil he spilled all throughout the engine bay!

Tappin N Crappin

Yendor
21st March 2012, 08:10 PM
13 amp to 16 amp draw that's high, it's like a motor draw.

Do you have an amp fitted?

You can try disconnect the plug at the alternator with the 2 small wires in it.

What ever it is, it will be producing heat, so after a few minutes you should be able to feel the heat with your hand.

The other thing you can try is remove all of the small fuses and see if the draw stops then put the fuses back in one at a time while watching the meter, this will help you narrow it down.

taslucas
21st March 2012, 08:15 PM
If it's the alternator perhaps you could get it reconditioned? Does anyone know what this costs and/or if it's worth it?

tappa slappn about

Parra
21st March 2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks guys. Will try the above and report back when I'm done.

Sigh

Parra
21st March 2012, 08:43 PM
just disconnect the alternator and see if you lose the current draw.
is it one with a vac pump on the back or without.

Yeah. Got the vacuum pump on it.

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 08:46 PM
Cheapest one i seen with a vac pump was this at $269 delivered.
Try your local auto elec and spare parts dealer though they can sometimes do better then ebay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Navara-D21-2-TD27-Patrol-GQ-U-TD42-Alternator-/130457971706?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5fe6abfa

Parra
21st March 2012, 08:46 PM
13 amp to 16 amp draw that's high, it's like a motor draw.

Do you have an amp fitted?

Nope no amps. Hell, still have a cassette player. Pretty good for a 24 yr old hey ;)

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 08:54 PM
Some alternators have an external regulator that fails and can be cheaper just to replace that if it is a problem.

Parra
21st March 2012, 09:32 PM
ok, woohoo!

not alternator (well, the draw was still there when it was unplugged)

the draw is coming from the 'main' wire coming out of the glow relay (circled in the picture.)

i take this out and the draw goes away - i touch this lead with the positive on the multi and touch the negative to the - on the battery = 16 amps

any ideas where this goes. have to admit i have no idea how to read a wiring diagram :S

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/03/18.jpg

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe the relay is stuck on and it is constantly supplying the glow plugs. you would have to look at the diagram but do you know how a relay works basically a low voltage switch to connect a high voltage current.
So it should have a smaller earth and positive feeding into it to join the larger two wires.
One of witch should come on when you turn on the ignition either earth or power.

Another thought is their any odd switches on the dash sometimes people fit a switch to turn the glow plugs on manually you may have turned it on by accident.

Parra
21st March 2012, 09:51 PM
Mr 97, you are a legend. Turns out there is a rogue switch on the dash that does exactly this.

Wtf is the point of that??

Anyway, problem solved! Cheers all!!

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 09:54 PM
as glow plugs get old and start failing the factory system doesn't glow them long enough to start the car.
And could also be because of other failures like the glow control unit.
It's a simple cheap fix to glow issues basically but a nightmare if you bump it obviously lol.
Glad it's all fixed.

Yendor
21st March 2012, 10:25 PM
Good work guys.

taslucas
22nd March 2012, 08:01 AM
as glow plugs get old and start failing the factory system doesn't glow them long enough to start the car.
And could also be because of other failures like the glow control unit.
It's a simple cheap fix to glow issues basically but a nightmare if you bump it obviously lol.
Glad it's all fixed.

I had an old 720 Nissan Ute that had to get this switch fitted. Did not even think of it sorry!
Good work 97!
Good to hear it's all sorted parra:)

tappa slappn about

Parra
22nd March 2012, 08:03 AM
thanks for all your help guys.

made one very happy camper (and his wife!)

Cuppa
24th March 2012, 02:49 PM
I do enjoy a happy ending! :-) Forums are great for stuff like this.

Cuppa

LittleJohn
24th March 2012, 04:33 PM
Gee and i thought the OP wanted me to Start something !! bahahahhahahhaha