PDA

View Full Version : front diff bearing change

G U LOOKS GOOD
21st March 2012, 09:47 AM
has any one done this as of yet i have a 12/06 gu and i have changed the bearings and i get the hub to spin nicely with no play but as soon as i put the locking hub on and put two bolts in it is soo stiff it wont move and thats using extreme force my bro inlaw says it needs to be tightened right up over 130 nm then backed of to zero then wound up to 30 nm then backed off 30 degrees?????he done this on a pajero once before is it the same for the nissan???
car is currently pulled apart and i need it asap all help appreciated

G U LOOKS GOOD
21st March 2012, 09:55 AM
more googling and i found this..............acording to the manual you set the nuts to 167-196 nm.
sspin wheel afew times.
loosen of to zero nm.
then tighten to 3-5 nm.

nissannewby
21st March 2012, 10:10 AM
Sounds like something isnt home as installing the locking hub shouldnt have this effect.

G U LOOKS GOOD
22nd March 2012, 10:11 PM
weel today was no different i tourqued it up and backed it off and then re tourqued again but to no availim stripping it all back out tomorrow to see wat the go is i think perhaps i was supplied a wrong bearing???? i dont think so but wat else can it be?

nissannewby
23rd March 2012, 12:41 AM
Make sure all your bearing races are completely seated, axle is in all the way, bearings around the right way etc. You should be able to push the hub all the way without much effort. With everything together and no locking hub there should be a small amount of play in the axle.

Silver
23rd March 2012, 02:58 AM
has any one done this as of yet i have a 12/06 gu and i have changed the bearings and i get the hub to spin nicely with no play but as soon as i put the locking hub on and put two bolts in it is soo stiff it wont move and thats using extreme force my bro inlaw says it needs to be tightened right up over 130 nm then backed of to zero then wound up to 30 nm then backed off 30 degrees?????he done this on a pajero once before is it the same for the nissan???
car is currently pulled apart and i need it asap all help appreciated

I'm not sure of the cause of the problem. Just to clarify, when you wrote 'locking hub' above, did you mean the lock nut that the GU has, (and some GQs) with two small screws/bolts? Or did you mean the free wheeling hub?

The workshop manual for the GQ requires that the bearing retaining nuts are done up to that torque, and backed off, and then the lock tab washer applied, and the lock nut done up to that really high torque, and the tabs folded over.

I adapted a big socket to enable me to do this, but I hate doing it, as it just doesn't feel right to me with those skinny, but large diameter nuts. On top of which the lock nut can grab onto the lock tab washer, and turn it - defeating the little tongue that is meant to locate it on the hub. But, as I said, that's the GQ.

I'm struggling a bit, because I've only helped a mate out once with the same set up as you have, and I can't remember the details, so I took a peek at the manual. You need to put up another 18 posts :-) its on page FA - 7.

Now, the process is to make sure the washer is between the bearing and the adjusting nut. Then

3. Tighten wheel bearing adjusting nut with tool. m: 167 - 196 N-m
(17 - 20 kg-m, 123 - 145 ft-lb)
4. Turn wheel hub several times in both directions.
5. Loosen wheel bearing adjusting nut so that torque becomes
0 Nom (0 kg-m, 0 ft-lb).
6. Retighten wheel bearing adjusting nut with tool.
m:3 - 5 Nem
(0.3 - 0.5 kg-m, 2.2 - 3.6 ft-lb)
7. Turn wheel hub several times in both directions.
8. Retighten wheel bearing adjusting nut with tool.
m:3 - 5 N=m
(0.3 - 0.5 kg-m, 2.2 - 3.6 ft-lb)
9. Again turn wheel hub several times in both directions.

then attaching a spring balance to a wheel stud, and pulling forward, (if that makes sense, ie, not directly away from the axle like clock hands)

10. Measure starting force "A" at wheel hub bolt.
11. Turn adjusting nut in tightening direction and measure
starting force "B".
12. Wheel bearing preload "C" can be calculated as shown
below.
[C = B - A ]
Wheel bearing preload "C":
0 - 18.6 N
(0 - 1.9 kg, 0 - 4.2 Ib)
13. If B - A exceeds 18.6 N (1.9 kg, 4.2 Ib), loosen adjusting nut
and adjust wheel bearing preload "C" to 0 to 18.6 N (0 to
1.9 kg, 0 to 4.2 Ib) range.

Then there is some stuff about axial end play of the axle.

Then there are instructions for the GQ lock tab animal system

Then, for yours

Auto-lock free-running hub
a Tighten screw.
fJ): 1.2 - 1.6 N=m (0.12 - 0.16 kg-m, 0.9 - 1.2 ft-lb)

Of course, the manual has pretty pictures to go with this text - start posting some quality posts and some welcome messages to the intros :-)

So, if you've done all that, and it is fine until you do up the two little screws on the lock nut, I'm stumped

G U LOOKS GOOD
2nd July 2012, 10:16 PM
sorry felas been heaps busy but ended up taking it to some one and they fitted it all with out a drama they say they have no idea why it was doing it to me but it was all sorted $100 n a slab o beer