PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my GQ 4.2 Diesel engine

GU_Nemesis
20th March 2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a 1993 GQ 4.2L diesel (non turbo) that has 330,000km on the clock. It's a great truck that will go anywhere but it is damn SLOW!! Anyway, just wanted to get people's thoughts/ideas on what to do to extract more power from it. I have heard about DP Chips etc and the possibility of adding a turbo. Is it feasible to rebuild the existing engine and add a turbo for the best power and torque gain, or am I better off looking at an engine conversion such as a Chev LS1? I have heard the 4.2 engines are bulletproof but will an engine with that many k's on it cope with this treatment? Does anyone know the approximate cost of having this done to the 4.2 diesel? Am I better off keeping the diesel or do I look at another engine? I'm not after sheer tyre frying power, but I need a fair increase over the standard power as I need to tow a small camper van as well as have a noticeable increase whilst 4WDing. Any thoughts and ideas appreciated. Cheers guys,

Scotty.

nissannewby
20th March 2012, 10:09 PM
Give the engine a health check (compression test, head crack test, rad pressure test etc) If these check out and are within spec slap a turbo on it she will handle it and will give you the best fuel figures while towing. The cost of turbo can vary (typically on how much you can do yourself) A lot of kits are around the 3k mark with an exhaust. However i have read on another thread here someone getting a qoute (drive in/ drive out) for around the 5k mark. You wont be bale to chip the ole td42 as she is a mechanical donk (why she is so reliable). I would keep the diesel with regular servicing should give you another 330k without a worry.

AB
20th March 2012, 10:14 PM
At 330,000 km's your still ok to put turbo on. I had the same as you GQ TD42 N/A, bought a second hand turbo from a TD42T GU done only 180,000km's for a $1000 which came with the turbo, air box, water and oil lines, cross over pipe and elbows, exhaust manifold etc.

Very easy DIY mate and even only running low boost makes an enormous difference for a reasonable price.

Had to put in new oil and water lines to suit the engine but easily done!

There's a DIY thread about it on the forum if you head down that path mate.

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2012, 11:46 PM
Yep do the health checks and whack the Turbo on mate. Mine went on at 330,000 and never looked back. Loved it. If yours is a Silver top TD42 then its a winner mate.

If your thinking of anything else then you'd be nuts to pull the TD42 out of that car, better off selling the car and find another donor car like a TB42 which will be a cheaper buy.

You will love the Turbo on the TD42 mate and should expect 30% to 50% gains after a tune.

97_gq_lwb
21st March 2012, 05:36 AM
Turbo the td42 you can't go wrong.
I did mine and love it heres link to mine .
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8550-Yet-another-Diy-turbo-kit-td42/page2

GU_Nemesis
21st March 2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys for all the info. Yes it is a silver top so it looks like I'll be going ahead with the bolt on turbo option. You all told me what I wanted to hear... to keep the TD42!! I appreciate all the comments. Geez I am loving this forum already. Now to save a bit of cash and source the turbo and parts I need. Thanks again

Scotty