PDA

View Full Version : Banging Sound in Front Diff or Transfer Case???

GQ-Nut
10th June 2010, 05:32 PM
:confused:

Well, i went to check out the GQ Patrol i mentioned in my introductions that I found off Carsales.

Everything was going great, nice body, minimal rust mechanically seemed all ok.

When I enaged the hubs and put it low range i heard a bang in the front near the diff or transfer case.

The sound then was repeating every 5-10 seconds.

The guy seemed a little bit dodgy and said "don't worry about that mate, its just a tooth missing, most GQ's do that".

I'm a little bit reluctant to take this guys advise as i don't want to get rolled on this.

I can find out more information if anyone needs it to answer.

Is this guy telling porky's?

He is not asking too much for it and I'm happy to do minor repairs if need be I just don't wanna buy a lemon and spend a fortune just to get it on the road...

Appreciate any advice given?

Also I forgot to mention when you take the hubs out the sound stops....Cheers

MickyD
10th June 2010, 08:56 PM
It might not be as bad as you think mate, the front wheel drive is chain driven in the transfer case so it could just be jumping the teeth which in that case is pretty easy fix up.

i may be wrong and there could be other reasons but thats all I can suggest ATM mate.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Woof
10th June 2010, 10:48 PM
In the front diff, has it got a lokka.

White_GU
11th June 2010, 12:16 AM
It might be worth getting an RACV (or appropriate RAC branch in your state) check on the car if you like it. They might be able to give you a better idea on what the trouble is, but also will test out the rest of the engine etc. Small price to pay if it saves you buying a lemon.

GQ-Nut
11th June 2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Dogman = No it doesn't have a lokka.

Totally aggree White-GU, I'll do that indeed!

The guy seemed a little hesitant and wasn't really telling me much about the car so I think i need someone to have a looksie.

Thanks for your replies!

Rockyo
11th June 2010, 04:19 PM
Sounds a bit dodgy mate, I would get it checked out by a pro before diving into such a purchase....Cheers

GQ-Nut
24th June 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks mate, yeah I'm not overly keen...dodgy bloke, dodgy story, dodgy car.

That's what i was thinking, thrashed around like an idiot.

Thanks for your reply mate.

GQ-Nut
24th June 2010, 09:54 PM
Yep, good advice :)

patch697
25th June 2010, 08:40 AM
Just walk away GQ-NUT, no chance of tears then.

X2 Don't hang around this deal, Your gut is already telling you this is not a good idea otherwise we would be reading about your new Rig & how happy you are.

Listen to your gut & walk, your Patrol is out there somewhere just keep looking.

GQ-Nut
25th June 2010, 03:42 PM
X2 Don't hang around this deal, Your gut is already telling you this is not a good idea otherwise we would be reading about your new Rig & how happy you are.

Listen to your gut & walk, your Patrol is out there somewhere just keep looking. Yeah, cheers mate. I'm back on the prowl now! Thanks.