PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosing the problem

Fity
20th March 2012, 06:47 PM
I finally got my GU 3.0 l home and now to work put what the problem is.

The previous owner said it just died with no noise or smoke. He replaced the injector pump and it still doesn't start. Not that I doubt the previous owner, but it does look like it had been replaced and I doubt any one would replace it if there was smoke and noises.

My thoughts are that if it has died (hole in a piston) then it should at least fire on the good cylinders, unless all 4 developed holes at the same time. Is that possible?

Is there a special way to bleed the injector pump?

I would like to do a diagnostic check for faults, I read that pins 1 and 8 need to be bridged, are they labelled on the connector or is it obvious?

the ferret
20th March 2012, 07:45 PM
First, pull the glo plugs and see if it will turn over BY HAND, if it does, check injection timing, see if it has compession on all 4, check oil for water, check water for oil.
Check the injection pump is all connected, check fuses etc.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fity
21st March 2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks ferret. Do you know what size tube socket is needed to remove the glow plug and what should the compression be roughly?

The oil is black but has no water and the water is green and no sign of oil, but that is only a visual check.

I loosened one of the injector lines and cranked it over and only a very small amount of diesel dribbled out. I have done this before on non electronic engines and it comes out under pressure and sprays out.

I am going to read through the workshop manual and see I can find the procedure for bleeding the injector pump.

the ferret
21st March 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks ferret. Do you know what size tube socket is needed to remove the glow plug and what should the compression be roughly?

The oil is black but has no water and the water is green and no sign of oil, but that is only a visual check.

I loosened one of the injector lines and cranked it over and only a very small amount of diesel dribbled out. I have done this before on non electronic engines and it comes out under pressure and sprays out.

I am going to read through the workshop manual and see I can find the procedure for bleeding the injector pump.
Spanner size= dunno, compression pressure dito, any fuel in it? sounds like a fuel problem but that could be masking the real problem.
Cheers, the ferret.

Fity
21st March 2012, 11:08 AM
The guage says over 1/4. I will crack a line at the hand primer and see if anything comes out. I would have thought that it would still fire on a cylinder or 2 even if the others were sad.

Fity
21st March 2012, 11:21 AM
Ok, I found the procedure for testing the compression and the correct pressure which is the same as the TD42. Now to get a glow plug out and find adapter for my compression gauge.

Fity
21st March 2012, 01:16 PM
Found out which pins are 1 and 8. :) It takes a little while to get your head around the manual and all the supplements.