PDA

View Full Version : Stone damage on unpainted wheel arches

foxie
14th September 2010, 06:11 PM
Hi does anyone know if i can sand out really fine stone chips its more like they have been sand blasted on the wheel arches thanks in advance

patch697
14th September 2010, 06:24 PM
You will need to provide us with some more information in order for us to help & some pics would also help.

Finly Owner
14th September 2010, 11:36 PM
you will need to provide us with some more information in order for us to help & some pics would also help.

^^^^ditto^^^^

Russell1974
15th September 2010, 12:51 AM
X3 at least that way we can see what we are up against

foxie
15th September 2010, 05:33 PM
Hi there
Tried to put some photos on but im not to handy with the computer. The plastic has at the frount 1/4 of the wheel arch flairs rear got covered in stone chips its a dx so they are black just wondering if i can sand them

patch697
15th September 2010, 06:05 PM
Hi there
Tried to put some photos on but im not to handy with the computer. The plastic has at the frount 1/4 of the wheel arch flairs rear got covered in stone chips its a dx so they are black just wondering if i can sand them

I wouldn't if you don't intend on removing them, rubbing back the whole flair & repainting them. Otherwise it will stand out worse then the chips do now...IMO

As for the not being able to upload pic? I can help you with that if you like.
Just PM me in the link at the bottom of this post.

Cheers
Paul

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2010, 12:17 AM
Hi Foxie,

By your description i assume you have a series 4 or later GU (current shape) and you have the DX with the unpainted flares. If this is correct i would not touch them mate, it would be a disaster! It will show the rub marks really badly and you will never get it right mate, the plastic is straight out of the mould and onto your car.

all other models up from the DX have these colour coded and i dont really get why Nissan did this and thought it would be a real saving?? As per pic below.

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/GU%20IV/IMG_0419.jpg

If i was you i would get some adhesive clear contact, something like "light skin" from Super cheap and make some nice stick on protectors cut to suit for the time being and this will stop them getting much worse. Alternatively i would go to a paint shop and see about getting them colour coded to look a heap better than bare plastic, would guess less than $100 a flare??? Probably Much Much less given they have to mix the paint regardless.

Hope that helps mate.

Cheers

MR

MudRunnerTD
10th October 2010, 12:23 AM
Actually i had this problem on the GQ during the build up in the Ride section, 1 was also cracked. I ended up bogging up the crack and then spraying both of them with primer filler and rubbing them back to as smooth as i could be bothered. As a short term fix i then sprayed both of them (off the car) using a Saturn Black pressure can from anywhere then put them back on the car. Temporary fix but came up a treat.

If yours is a late model as described above then you would have to spray all 4 but you could just do it in the back yard with Saturn black cheap as or go the colour coded at the paint shop mate for a really nice dress up.

Cheers