PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging a 1998 GU 4.5 Petrol with an SC14

madmarlon
19th March 2012, 11:30 PM
Hi,
Got my hands on an SC14 supercharger and am thinking of making it fit my Patrol, so it will be a bit more lively of the blocks. I'm sure this has been done before, and am just hoping to get some hints / tips and Do's and Don'ts.
Quite happy to manufacture whatever I need to make it fit and am looking to keep under 10psi boost which I believe means I don't need to do any engine Mods.
I ain't sure whether I need to do some ECU changes to make it run correctly, hopefully someone wiser than me can point me in the right direction.
Also I'll be fitting an LPG system soon, I'm unsure on how the two will go together.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Marlon

97_gq_lwb
19th March 2012, 11:58 PM
I have read a few posts over the years on fitting the sc14 to tb42's and alike and in the end they removed it and fitted a turbo instead.

Bigrig
20th March 2012, 12:39 AM
Hmmm ... not sure mate, but I don't know I'd be going LPG though. I just ripped my LPG out coz of the way it burns with a turbo (TB42e) under load ... seriously, when heavy wheeling, or towing the camper fully laden (1.7-1.8 tonne), I was getting well less than 230-250 off a 90 litre tank ... a supercharger uses the engine to spool and that in itself creates extra load let alone the supercharger wanting to suck down the juice ...

Hopefully someone will have some tips for you though mate - hang tight!!

madmarlon
20th March 2012, 07:25 AM
I was thinking I might have some tuning issues with both systems on a supercharger, that's why I went with the SC14 which has a clutch on it, so I could just engage when I want a bit more grunt and on petrol.

97_gq_lwb
20th March 2012, 08:20 AM
What about using lpg injection that would give you more control over the lpg side of things.
Axt turbo might be able to advise you on a system looks they they use it for the tb45 with a turbo.
http://www.axtturbo.com.au/tb45_45l_efi_engine.html
Or this For tuninghttp://www.chiptorque.com.au/patrol45l.html
Personally not a fan of piggy back systems but if that's all that is available it's better then nothing.

nissannewby
20th March 2012, 09:13 AM
If you are wanting to engage and disengage the s/c you will need to run an aftermarket ecu and if wanting to install gas also. This will ensure you get the most out of your setup. As bigrig said superchargers are parasitic they need power to make power where as a turbo setup uses spent exhaust gas to make power. If you go with the s/c keep us posted would be interesting to see how it works out for you