PDA

View Full Version : average gearbox, clutch and rear diff life: gq td42 driveline

shorty_td42
19th March 2012, 04:42 PM
hi all, just interested on what sort of life i can expect to get from the average gearbox, diffs and clutch in a gq with a td42 driveline. mainly need to know what to expect from the standard clutch, currently has travelled 275000.

cheers

Bigrig
19th March 2012, 05:11 PM
Hey mate,

How about slipping over to the introductions section and posting up some info on yourself and the rig. No harm done, but something we ask for prior to asking questions etc, just let's everyone know who they're yakking with!!

That said, welcome aboard and hope you hang around - great forum and no doubt you'll find the answers you're after!!

shorty_td42
19th March 2012, 05:19 PM
yeah no probs, will do asap

Bigrig
19th March 2012, 05:27 PM
yeah no probs, will do asap

Thanks champion!!!!

275k from a clutch I would have thought was HUGE!!!! If it's not shot, it'd have to be close ... surely???

The rest of the driveline is tough as teak!!!

Others will have more 'experienced' input to offer mate, no doubt.

shorty_td42
19th March 2012, 06:01 PM
yeah im not sure if it has been replaced in the past, but not to my knowledge, what are some early signs of clutch death? seems all good atm, ocasionally hear a slight knock from box in neutral but engages ok, slight syncro wear, sometimes get a small grind when changing gears in the cold but not when hot? also have a little diff slap, but tolerable

cheers

Bigrig
19th March 2012, 06:02 PM
Hang tight mate and the more mechanically minded who are unlucky enough to have manuals (lmao) will be along to comment!!!

taslucas
19th March 2012, 06:07 PM
Gday mate, welcome aboard:)

Maybe you could start by replacing the fluids..Clutch, gearbox, transfer. It might make those sounds go away, and if not, at least you have a bit more piece of mind. But as bigrig said above: the driveline is tough, DAMN TOUGH!!
A mate just replaced his clutch with a safari tuff clutch, they are a bit expensive but are ment to be really tuff!!

GeeCee
19th March 2012, 06:07 PM
Depends what the vehicle has been used for - towing?
Mines over 300k, but that is about the time to starting thinking of replacement, but may go alot more.

shorty_td42
19th March 2012, 06:12 PM
im judging by the airbags in the rear it has been under load at some stage, was purchased from the inner city so that explains the syncros, also all fluids have been replaced in the last 12 months and still look clean, im thinking it may have been left a while between changes

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 07:44 PM
Driveline is tough as nails as its all based on truck like engineering. The clutch as it has already been said depends on what its been used for i have 250k on my GU and to my knowledge its still on the standard clutch however my GQ didnt make it to 160k. Just keep up the regular servicing and your driveline should be trouble free.

shorty_td42
19th March 2012, 08:01 PM
cheers guys, also, not having a clutch fail on me in the past, what are the signs of imminent failure? just dont really want complete failure out bush

nissannewby
19th March 2012, 08:42 PM
usually they will start to slip this is a pretty good sign and is easily noticeable.

MQ MAD
20th March 2012, 11:19 AM
As above have mentioned
It depends on how and what the rig was used for
Even cheaper end clutches cant last the distance
With an oldish rig , id just slip a few coins away a week and replace things as they need it
Noone unfortunately will give an exact time frame how long anything 20 odd years old will last
The clutch and the unis are the weakest link, youll generally replace these a few times before the gearbox will need replacing