PDA

View Full Version : Faulty MAF's.

Robo
19th March 2012, 02:43 PM
Noticed alot of ? about Mafs on here.
It may not be happening but worth knowing about.
If you have a MAF that electrical faulty something worth examining before you shell out for a replacement.
A simple test is to repetitively tap MAF with your finger to see if motor behaves erratically/misses.
May not show up, may only show if driving for another reason.
"You know the problem that has you scratching your head, intermittent miss".

This is a problem I came across with My GTR and thought could be happening here if they are constructed the same way.
And have been told a fault that's not uncommon.
The contact pins that goes through plastic maf housing can have dry/faulty solder joints.
Where the contact pins are soldered to maf circuit board.
These are the pins your wiring harness is connected to, at MAF.

I haven't taken the cover off a patrol 1, but the cover I have on my gtr, and are simply silicon sealed over in-place, a small trench around MAF housing and cover.
Use a hobby knife or similar to carefully separate silicon from cover and MAF housing.
Then carefully dig/scrape silicon out of this trench around cover.
The cover should then be able to be lifted out of it's recess to expose circuit board.
You can now see where the pins come through the wall of MAF housing and make contact with internal circuit board.

If the joint is suss, then a simple repair.
If you can solder, you can fix it on the spot.
Alot of people think they can solder, but are not truly competent.
You need a wait for a Iron to heat up , and a "clean pre-tinned tip is essential".
AND protect board from spatter
Melt solder as quickly as possible before heat transfer damages the next component in circuit.
You probably will need some solder acid to aid melt clean to renew joint.
You can buy freeze to cool , but an expense you don't really need
Electronic spray cleaner comes in handy to cool off if unsure/or when soldering done to stop heat transfer,and remove any acid reside left behind.

You can also buy spray lacquer for elec boards ,Jaycar electronics have it.
If this was the problem then a cheap fix.
Cover simply drops back in hole and seal back up.
Use non acid sensor safe silicon.
Please remember you could heat damage the next componite if you take to long with iron, if unsure seek help.
Hopefully Fixed, $30.
:thumbup:
Cheers