PDA

View Full Version : cooper st maxx???

snowy
19th March 2012, 12:10 PM
looking at purchasing some new tyres. leaning towards mickey thompson mtz in 33 x 12.5s as i have sworn by the last set i owned. but the price of them these days puts me off. i was reading up on the new cooper st maxx and im probably going to lean towards this option as the reviews seem positive and theyre a hundred bucks a corner cheaper.

has anyone got any experience with these?

joey_081
19th March 2012, 02:23 PM
Hi Snowy,
I find it hard to believe the MT's would be more expensive then the coopers!!! Maybe shop around to get a better price.
How ever both are excellent tyres with very similar performance, if you were happy with the mickey's then you would be happy with the coopers.
If it comes down to price, go with the cheaper.

taslucas
19th March 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi snowy, I have the Cooper stt's 33inch and so does a mate. I think the coopers last a bit longer especially when doing a lot of bitumen. I have two mates with the mtz's and I reckon they just have it over the stt's in the mud but wear quicker....

tappa slappn about

snowy
19th March 2012, 08:23 PM
cheers boys, booked in tomorrow for the cooper stmaxx. Ill take a punt and see how i go. Got a good deal on them. Hope they live upto their name as i got nearly 80,000 out of my mickey mtz

snowy
19th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Hi Snowy,
I find it hard to believe the MT's would be more expensive then the coopers!!! Maybe shop around to get a better price.
How ever both are excellent tyres with very similar performance, if you were happy with the mickey's then you would be happy with the coopers.
If it comes down to price, go with the cheaper.

Thats what i thought too but everywhere i went the coopers were cheaper. Some places were within only a few bucks but one place the cooper was way cheaper

taslucas
19th March 2012, 08:31 PM
Got to remember that coopers and mickey t's are both made in the same factory! Owned by the same people.
Thats a high amount of k's for some mtz's snowy, they did well. How wornout were they when you changed them? What sort of driving do you do?

growler2058
19th March 2012, 09:07 PM
Be vigilant on rotating with your st's mate have had good experiences but have seen some bloody fast wearing scalloped tyres that weren't rotated regularly

snowy
20th March 2012, 06:58 AM
they were absoloutely trashed when i was done with them but did from memory 77,000 km on a set of 305s. ill be sure to keep them rotated but hope theyre not too bad as theyre not quite as agressive as the stt. apparently these are alot better in the wet on the bitumen too. fingers crossed. didnt realise theyre from the same factory, i always thought it was mickey thompson and dick cepek that were the same. you learn something every day dont ya!:biggrin:

snowy
20th March 2012, 07:00 AM
Got to remember that coopers and mickey t's are both made in the same factory! Owned by the same people.
Thats a high amount of k's for some mtz's snowy, they did well. How wornout were they when you changed them? What sort of driving do you do?

just main road driving to work most of the year, do 5 weeks of travelling a year and a bit of playing around on weekends but nothing too extreme.

snowy
20th March 2012, 06:01 PM
got them today. feel nice on the road so far, very happy

Timrob
20th March 2012, 10:31 PM
looks good there snowy:thumbup:

gilly81
12th April 2012, 09:17 PM
I really wanted these but also want to stick to my 15's. I contacted Cooper and it's going to be at least 12 months before they release the maxx in a 15. Not sure about the old ST's. Now thinking BFG ATKO's.

MEGOMONSTER
9th May 2012, 11:31 PM
Always a great look with new tyres, I like

megatexture
10th May 2012, 12:21 AM
ive had a set of the st before the maxx come out and you will be happy with there performance and you should get more km from them over the mtz , i was told the compound is the same as the old st but the maxx just has a slightly diffrent tread pattern and extra on the sidewall

snowy
13th May 2012, 11:47 AM
Ive found the mtz to be better under braking in the wet. But theyre not too bad. Im happy for sure though

Remmy
1st May 2013, 04:54 PM
I know this is an old thread but I'm interested to see how the S/T's are after milage. I have been quoted 330 a corner from Tempe Tyres for the S/T Maxx in 285/75/17, best price so far.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

Remmy

macca
1st May 2013, 07:25 PM
Hi snowy, I have the Cooper stt's 33inch and so does a mate. I think the coopers last a bit longer especially when doing a lot of bitumen. I have two mates with the mtz's and I reckon they just have it over the stt's in the mud but wear quicker....

tappa slappn about

Exactly my experience owning both over the last few years

lagoonboy
3rd May 2013, 08:17 AM
Nice... wish I had gone white...

Steveo_the_Devo
5th June 2013, 08:35 PM
Remmy, that is an amazing price for that size - usual going rate is $440 ea. You sure they're quoting you including GST? Also, the size is 285/70R17?

Will be giving Tempe tyres a call first thing tomorrow. At that price you couldn't put them on my truck fast enough!